Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Bad inline fuse-no start 3126B

I'm bringing this back as a new thread even though others have posted to the issue, under various other headings. eg., Hard start , no- start, rough run and engine quit. 97 through 01 , Cat 3126 & 3126B that I'm sure of and this may apply to other years as well.
The battery power to the Cat, Engine Control Module, is supplied through an in-line fuse ; between the battery and the ECM; the fuse and holder are subject to failure due to age & corrosion, and can leave you stranded.
I have found the fuse in my wiring schematic ( 20 amp in-line ) but have yet to track down it's exact location in the coach.
A fellow RVr here in the park had his engine cut out during warm up , before he moved from his site. He had an idea that the problem was no battery power to the ECM, but without a pin out of the connector, we could not confirm, and looking over the harness , we could not locate the fuse, even with info from others here in the forums.
Coach was towed to a Cat dealer. and repaired.
100 miles towed, 2hrs search by a Cat mechanic, to locate the bad fuse holder and replace same, total 3 days travel time lost due to a HIDDEN fuse.
I'm now on a misson to find the fuse on my coach, because Murhpy says
he's coming for me. When found this will be location #9 for 12 volt fuses in this coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I found mine in the battery compartment, it was a red wire the went from the positive
terminal of the house battery's to a inline fuse then to the ECM.
Have no idea if this was someone's fix or it came that way from the factory.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

Thanks Art, I found a fuse next to a power post under my battery tray, looks like an add on so the previous owner may have had work done, wiring is taged with duct tape, with B-12 circuit in ink marker, not the #s from my diagrams, haven't got under the bed yet to see if the wiring is in fact hooked to the ECM. Wiring diagrams show a 4 wire connector 150mm from the ECM plug, and I won't know if I've got the right fuse till I find that connector, or track the wire I found to the ECM.
I would pull the fuse and attempt to start, but I'm level on the jacks right now and don't want to run and air up if it's not the one.
Tomorrow
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks Art, I found a fuse next to a power post under my battery tray, looks like an add on so the previous owner may have had work done, wiring is taged with duct tape, with B-12 circuit in ink marker, not the #s from my diagrams, haven't got under the bed yet to see if the wiring is in fact hooked to the ECM. Wiring diagrams show a 4 wire connector 150mm from the ECM plug, and I won't know if I've got the right fuse till I find that connector, or track the wire I found to the ECM.
I would pull the fuse and attempt to start, but I'm level on the jacks right now and don't want to run and air up if it's not the one.
Tomorrow
Well I found mine just because I saw this wire and fuse and was already
doing some personal work on that area and traced it out as it seemed
odd to me.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

I found a 20 amp inline fuse coming from my house batteries labeled Allison transmission. Is this what you all are talking about? according to my manual I should have another one coming from the batteries that go to the Cat starter,but I have not found that one as yet.
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Don't you just love it when things are changed and no paper work.
So far my TW is working so as they say if it is not broken do not fix it.
Of course unless there is a hazard.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

The fuse was installed by the chassis manufacturer or the body builder.

It. Would seem like an email to both with the VIN would be in order.

Should be a simple question and answer.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
The fuse was installed by the chassis manufacturer or the body builder.

It. Would seem like an email to both with the VIN would be in order.

Should be a simple question and answer.
National has been out of business for several years.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDP243 View Post
I found a 20 amp inline fuse coming from my house batteries labeled Allison transmission. Is this what you all are talking about? according to my manual I should have another one coming from the batteries that go to the Cat starter,but I have not found that one as yet.
My coach has some inline fuse holders near the batteries, in the wires connected to the positive posts of the batteries.
Those wires power various things, (among them the Cat ECM and the Allison VIM).
Believe it or not, I payed $1500, (it was $2400 before I refused to pay that much), for a "authorized Allison shop" to diagnose and replace a "bad wire" from the positive post of my chassis battery to the Allison VIM, (Vehicle Interface Module)...
20 feet of 14ga wire, 2 connectors and LABOR.
Mel
'96 Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote