Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Baldwin OB1305 bypass oil filter

Looking at installing the Baldwin OB1305 base and using their B164 bypass filter. Others claim better specs but I don't trust all the hype and PR.
I'm trying to be proactive in huei pump
protection.

I need to locate oil supply and return ports on 3126B.

I have been active on Trek Traks for several years, but now have 97 Sahara with 3126b to learn.
aglicknmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Cat

Personally I would just use Cat high efficiency oil filter, and Cat oil. It's a very good filter, the oil is mixed to CAT specs. And keep you oil changes on the short intervals. I also think you have the older style HEUI the round headed one, it's a much better pump in my experience.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Appreciate advice on cat oil and filter, doing that already.

Don't want to be a pain, but, really I'm looking for info on installing bypass filter and feedback on the Baldwin system.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglicknmex View Post

I need to locate oil supply and return ports on 3126B.

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for , but my understanding of my 3126B is that , the oil flow from the pan, through the pump , filter, oil cooler, through the rest of the engine and to the HUIE is through internal passages in the motor .
The only external oil flow is the , high pressure supply to the cylinder head for the injectors, the unused flow from the HUIE pump back to the pan from the pressure control valve, and in the case of my engine a " T " fitting on the side of the block where the oil pressure sensor would normally be ; but because of the location of the hydraulic pump two pressure lines run from the T , one to the air compressor another to the oil pressure sensor's new remote location. The air compressor oil drains back to the pan through it's mouning flange on the back of the timing gear housing.
If you're trying to locate a second oil filter between the existing filter and the HUIE pump , I really don't believe it's possible.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #5

Bypass is just what is says : bypass, parallel flow to main engine oil flow. Only processes 2 gpm(cat spec) so does not remove enough oil flow to the engine parts to cause concerns. Has nothing to do with huei oil flow.

Bypass filters are too restricted for a full flow.
Typical claims of 1-10 micron absolute flow are made. The main gain is removing fine soot particles that turn the oil black.

This is a old technique that is finding favor again as modern engines require very clean oil.

The trick is too find a pressure port on the engine block and a return port.

I can post the info when I find it.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you seen this?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Yes I like his videos, good stuff!

Crawled under with light and found a 1/4 npt pressure port , passenger side, near oil temp and pressure senders.

Not found return port yet.

This is Baldwin bypass filter head, note small ports for low flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1LBJufo5oz.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	204363  
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Adept ape on YouTube talked about a kit for this purpose. He is super knowledgeable on cats.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Return, to the pan , will be your issue .
You could drill and tap into the side of the pan , or timing cover .
My personal choice would be to remove the fitting that the HUIE dumps it's excess through; back to the pan; and drill and tap it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	204389  
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #10

The 3126 block I am told is the predecessor to the C7. On my C7 on the block just above the oil pan are pipe plugs front and rear. If you look at the video above you can see them. The are hex head plugs. I have some pics in an email and if you pm me I can send to you. They are for a C7 but you could see if they exist on your 3126.
Rjb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I have the double filter bypass on my truck, they are located on the pass. side, one line is connected to the pass. side block and the other is right where the arrow on the picture country B posted
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I have the double filter bypass on my truck, they are located on the pass. side, one line is connected to the pass. side block and the other is right where the arrow on the picture country B posted, ok edit of my post, my bypass filters are only to clean 10% of the total oil being pumped while the main filters 100%
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Rjb, you are correct . Those plugs do exist on 3126. Alternate sites for dipstick perhaps?? . Also found Another good spot, just below oil pressure sender, so the access to supply and return will be easy.
Now to locate plumbing parts. It will be pretty small hose with the 1/8 not on filter housing.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #14

Not sure what there reason is. I am installing a FS 2500 they send you several options for pressure and return flow. You pick the best spot for your coach send them the measurement for the lines and they build and ship you the kit. Yes cat filters do work good but if you can remove extra particles and cut down on 3 part wear you are going to extend the life of your engine. Cat and Cummins are starting to supply spinner type bypass filtration on their industrial and high horse power engines as an option to extend oil life.
Rjb71 is offline   Reply With Quote