Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Blow by from crank case

I have a 2005 Itsca with a c-7, I'm running a M-p 8 player & a areo 5050xl exhaust. The enige has had a complete tune up including vales, all oil,air & fuel filters. also installed a solber tube catch box with steel fiber filter, and extended the tube pass the end of the coach After 3000miles, on a trip to Idaho from Maine , I drained the catch box & found about 12 oz. of oil in it. And the engine 1qt. low on oil. I guess my question is this excessive blow by & oil use for a c-7 engine, with 30,000 miles. Any input
on this would be greatly appreciated.
dtravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravler View Post
I have a 2005 Itsca with a c-7, I'm running a M-p 8 player & a areo 5050xl exhaust. The enige has had a complete tune up including vales, all oil,air & fuel filters. also installed a solber tube catch box with steel fiber filter, and extended the tube pass the end of the coach After 3000miles, on a trip to Idaho from Maine , I drained the catch box & found about 12 oz. of oil in it. And the engine 1qt. low on oil. I guess my question is this excessive blow by & oil use for a c-7 engine, with 30,000 miles. Any input
I would keep it 1qt low and see if that reduces the blow by .
When you changed the oil how many quarts did you put in including the filter ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

This time it was done at western cat dealer. I asume 19 qt plus filter.
I was thinkihg of running a qt low to see what happens. seems like an issue I had with a 312 ford engine in the fifties. No matter what you did it thru the top qt out the blow by. Then it was fine until next oil change.Thanks for the reply Chuck.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has your dipstick ever been calibrated? I had mine done in Gaffney and it was WAY off the mark(s) sort of speak. Even though I say 19 Qts. most oil changes just pump in until full mark. Only place never to have charged me for oil over 19 qts. (+ filter) was Gaffney. If you are certain you are running 19 quarts then I would say that amount of blow by is excessive. Go to the Cat. website and register for their forums. They have tons of discussions on blow by.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
This time it was done at western cat dealer. I asume 19 qt plus filter.
I was thinkihg of running a qt low to see what happens. seems like an issue I had with a 312 ford engine in the fifties. No matter what you did it thru the top qt out the blow by. Then it was fine until next oil change.Thanks for the reply Chuck.
Do my own oil changes on my CAT 3126E which has the shallow pan (19 qt capacity). First time I completed a oil/filter change I added 17 quarts of Rotella 15w-40. Started the motor and let it idle and build oil pressure for approximately 2-3 minutes then shut her down. Checked the oil level with the dip stick and it was below the full mark. Added two additional quarts and restarted the engine for another idel period. After shutdown and a several minute wait rechecked the dip stick and the oil level was right on the top full mark. Took a wire tie with plastic tag marked "19 QT Capacity" and attached it to the oil fill spout. With that done there's no "assuming" by anyone as to the amount of oil to be added during a oil change. Completed a 1100 mile trip to Fl. and checked the oil level on arrival, it was still on the full mark. Same for the return trip home. 2200 miles total with no oil consumption. I also have a breather tube extension which exist just below my exhaust tip.

Puking oil usually means one thing, over filling of oil
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It maybe that there was too much oil added during your last oil change. At what setting are you running your MP-8?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #7

Bob109
I have been playing with the m-p8 across the country, at different settings.
Mine seems to work out the best over all performance with out heat temp being a factor is at 12-13%. The only time heat go's up is on a long 6% or better climb,
but still never go's over 50% of the heat gage. I've found that if I put the cruise control on at 62, put it in econo mode, and leave it alone it pretty well takes care of its self. last mpg on the flat pulling suzkui toad was 10.2mpg
Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

OOP'S sorry rver98 I thought bob109 asked the question on the mp-8 .
Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problem! I tried running mine at 18% and it seemed to run a little too hot. I have since lowered it back down to 15% and will continue to keep it there.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
we have the 330 cat in our coach 38' winn. ult. pull a mel. just got back over 6000 mile trip; avg. 10mpg. and it is still on the full oil mark. I'm happy, and have done no engine modafacations. I feel the manufacture knows how to tune there product best;; oh they do;;

O
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The breather assembly was moved from the top of the engine (Per RV Manufacturers request to lower floors. It now sits on the side of the engine, right next a cam follower. which is continually throwing oil. Cat has a bulletin on this re the baffel in the assembly. Disregard this and move your breather back to the top of the valve cover. (If you have room, I did and it works great)
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
No, but if you have doubts have Caterpillar do a Crankcase Blow-by test. High blow-by is almost always accompanied by a marked increase in oil consumption. Like going from a quart in 2000 miles to a gallon. As they say 'your mileage may vary'.....so true in this case. Oil consumption and blow-by are usually the result of dusting, ingestion of dust from a failed air filter element.

Cummins engines of comparable HP and displacement (ISM) have the same issue. It is that crankcase oil mist separation is not well accomplished by the devices used at the time. You will now see truck engines with Closed Crankcase Ventilation systems as EPA now requires that.

Twelve ounces in that time frame is no big deal. Go find something else to do.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote