Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know a lot about cooling systems but have not worked on diesel engines. That's not going to be my point.

I'm amazed that 6 dealers or repair facilities replaced parts instead of diagnosing the problem. They just guessed at the problem at your expense. PushArounds suggestion about getting your own infrared temperature gauge and taking some reading is where I'd go.

Next thing I'd do if you are still relying on shops to do the work is this. Give a complete explanation of what has been done. Ask them to let you know what they believe is causing the high temps if your temp gauge proves that it really is happening.

These big diesel dealers work on these things all the time. If they can't diagnose what is happening they for sure can contact the manufacturer or somebody higher up that can give a better guess than the local folks can. When you just throw parts at something you are guessing and it's on your nickle. I would not let them touch my rig again unless they know exactly what is wrong.

Here's another thought. ALL and I mean ALL parts on cars, trucks, RV's, diesel rigs etc. can be tested, measured, or analyzed to determine if they are working as designed. I don't care if it's a tire valve core, a piston or a throttle position sensor. They all have a job to perform and when they fail they will show symptoms and can be tested.

When it comes to systems like the charging or cooling system they are the same. It's a bunch of parts put together to make a complete system. Each and every part can be tested.

I'd insist that somebody higher up in their repair system be contacted and determine a good diagnostic path.

One more item. Most diesel shops hate to work on MH's. There are some who do it but they don't like to. Then there are some who do a lot of RV repair but those shops are few. Here's why???

When a semi diesel rig goes down it's costing hundreds or thousands of bucks every day that rig is not on the road making $$$$. They don't like to take time diagnosing so they just throw parts at them until they are on the road again. The companies just want the rig on the road they don't care how much it costs.

The second reason is they don't have to worry about scratching or getting grease on or inside the semi and they do have to worry about your RV.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #16
laj

Has anyone unplugged the fan controller and ran the coach down the rd. ? this would eliminate everything except water pump, thermostat, fan and rad. If this solved the problem it would give you several things to test. if not then you've got real expensive problems. jmho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
C-13 Overheating Nightmare Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Has anyone unplugged the fan controller and ran the coach down the rd. ? this would eliminate everything except water pump, thermostat, fan and rad. If this solved the problem it would give you several things to test. if not then you've got real expensive problems. jmho
That was one of the things that I tried but it did not work in my case. The internal fan mechanism was failing, and even though it should have locked up in the absence of voltage, it did not.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #18

Heat

Man sounds like a mess. When you finally get it fixed let us know what you found will ya? Good luck got to be frustrating as he'll let alone the expense !

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
laj

which helped narrow where the issue was. everyone's been just throwing his money away and its going to get real expensive before its done if it keeps going done this path, this way it either shows mechanical or electronics. i think its not superficial but deeper. all of the test he could do himself and save hundreds of dollars in diagnostic cost. jmho
Old 07-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #20

Temp

I just glanced at net under operating temp for C15 Cat and several posts put normal temp at 210. Don't know if RV operating temp is less or not.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #21

On your Silverleaf can you see the temp change when the fan comes on? Mine comes on at 204deg and turns off at 198deg and you can see the trans temp move also when the fan comes on.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #22

C-13 Overheating Nightmare Continues

Steve, just sent you a text message. If you don't get it try looking at the fan shroud to see if it has come loose and pulled away from the radiator. A friend of mine found that the three bolts that hold the top of the shroud had worked their way loose and had fallen out. They were experiencing the same kind of temps as your were. It was a pain to reinstall new bolts but they were able to get them in and tight and the problem went away.
Steve

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #23

Our C-12 used to have a slight over heating issue in very hot weather and up a very long steep hill. That was completely fixed by having the radiator cleaned out on the inside.

What you have is intermittent. So it has to be something like the thermostat is intermittently not working or the water pump. Or possibly there is an obstruction in the cooling system. I am very surprised that going to a Cat dealer has not fixed it. I have had pretty good luck with Cat dealers.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #24

C-13 overheating

Have your fan controller program changed from PWM to on/off.
Remove fan control fuse wire #84 and your fan should default to high speed.
Install a manual switch on your drivers control panel so you can switch to high fan speed as needed when pulling unusually steep/long grades. This should eliminate all your overheating problems.
RJ
2005 inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #25

Finally got back on the road, last repair shop installed new water pump, new thermostat, all new water hoses and clamps, power washed the radiator and coolers, flushed the radiator and added all new coolant...First road test with it we hit 226 degrees in 15 miles.

Mechanic called Country Coach, they said to install new fuse that controlls fan controller, now fan runs all the time. Hope to get it Country Coach and have them figure it out, only 1300 miles to go..Thanks for all the replies..
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #26

Heat

Man this is just chit UGLY! Got to be one of the worst horror stories on the site! Sad thing is my cat is doing same thing? Only good thing is I have been sitting in campground for 3 weeks. As much frustration (let alone the $ you have put in) I'd have been tempted to leave keys in her and hope someone stole it. Of course to would have overheated and stopped before they got far? Hope you made last leg of your trip without kicking the chair out from underneath you and hanging yourself! Let us know what Country Coach comes up with. Better luck, you deserve some.

Safe travels
Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Jan View Post
Finally got back on the road, last repair shop installed new water pump, new thermostat, all new water hoses and clamps, power washed the radiator and coolers, flushed the radiator and added all new coolant...First road test with it we hit 226 degrees in 15 miles.

Mechanic called Country Coach, they said to install new fuse that controlls fan controller, now fan runs all the time. Hope to get it Country Coach and have them figure it out, only 1300 miles to go..Thanks for all the replies..
Sorry to hear about all of this but with the fan running all the time now, you will at least be able to eliminate this as a problem if it overheats again. On the other hand if it runs in the normal range from here on out, it would appear that you have determined the cause.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
laj

Talk to Eric when you get there. He's in the chassis shop out back.

Tags
heating, heat