Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #29

Sorry for your problems. For what it is worth, the hottest my C-13, pushing a 42,000 coach (as weighed) and pulling a Suburban (I like my carbon), has ever gotten was 212 climbing out of the Columbia basin on I-90 heading to Seattle when it was high 90's out and I ran it up the grade at wide open throttle.

228 would make me faint.

Seems either the fan is not coming on when needed, or it is not getting enough power from the hydraulics. If the fan is not getting enough power from the hydraulics, running it all the time at full speed shouldn't cool it down to normal. It may not spike since it is generally pulling all the air it can pull all the time, but it would not run at 198.

If forcing it to high all the time causes the engine to run consistently at normal temp, then something is failing to turn on the fan.

I would invest in a good scanning temp gauge and get dirty finding out what your temps are running at normal, then when it shows you hot. Keep notes.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #30

Heat

Hey did ya make it there? If so did you find anything out? As much as you have put in it ya might be at the old saying " Jack the radiator cap up and drive a new one under it"! Not funny I know. I've been where ya are man. If ya can get her fixed a few hundred "carefree" miles and a couple happy hours will make it all feel better. When ya get around the guys talkin Rv stories no one can top yours!!

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Jan View Post
Finally got back on the road, last repair shop installed new water pump, new thermostat, all new water hoses and clamps, power washed the radiator and coolers, flushed the radiator and added all new coolant...First road test with it we hit 226 degrees in 15 miles.

Mechanic called Country Coach, they said to install new fuse that controlls fan controller, now fan runs all the time. Hope to get it Country Coach and have them figure it out, only 1300 miles to go..Thanks for all the replies..
Where is the coolant coming from?
Sounds like a Head Gasket
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Hey did ya make it there? If so did you find anything out? As much as you have put in it ya might be at the old saying " Jack the radiator cap up and drive a new one under it"! Not funny I know. I've been where ya are man. If ya can get her fixed a few hundred "carefree" miles and a couple happy hours will make it all feel better. When ya get around the guys talkin Rv stories no one can top yours!!

Safe travels
We're still in the Black Hills, leaving on the 31st and slowly heading West, have an appointment on Aug 11 at Country Coach. We will look at coaches they have there for sale, might consider a trade, we could go for a few hundred miles of carefree driving and could definitely go for a few happy hours..
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked your transmission fluid for contamination? How have the temps been with that? Maybe transmission related?

Just throwing ideas
Hope you find a fix soon
Safe travels

Aaron
Old 08-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratob377 View Post
Have you checked your transmission fluid for contamination? How have the temps been with that? Maybe transmission related?

Just throwing ideas
Hope you find a fix soon
Safe travels

Aaron
Tranny fluid looks good, warmest I've seen on it is around 185
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like maybe OP is ready to hand off a known problem to an unsuspecting buyer. 😜😜
Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampers227 View Post
Sounds like maybe OP is ready to hand off a known problem to an unsuspecting buyer. 😜😜
If he trades it in to a dealer he is not exactly unloading the problem un an unsuspecting buyer. Personally I'd get the thing fixed, trading it in will cost him a lot more money than fixing it ever will. A trade usually costs you about 20% of the combined value of the two units.

BTW I just drove my C13 powered Patriot Thunder, pulling a Suburban, up the 10 mile climb on I-90 from the Columbia to Vantage WA. Kept it at 55mph, mid 80's out, and it got as high as 203F before it fell back to 195.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #37

OP here, have been at Country Coach for 10 days, might be here another week...Tech here tells me that almost all C-13's put in Country Coaches in 05 overheated. CAT came out with an 8 step modification to correct. This tech says he flew all over the country for a year installing the mods. Took one look at our coach and said the shroud over the fan was installed backwards... Radiator also leaks slightly, I've never added coolant..

Have had coach at two different CAT dealers and they never said anything about the shroud, compared ours to three different coaches here and all are the opposite of ours.

Tech says radiator and shroud could be the problem, I told him I drove the coach for a year and a half after purchasing it and it never overheated until this spring, so his theory I believe to be wrong. He's going to reprogram the fan controller in the next few days.

Tech says fan controller passed all tests, can't answer as to why it doesn't work at times, new radiator to go in Monday, we'll see what happens after that.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 AM   #38

Steve, can you post a picture of the shroud? I want to compare it to a friend of mine's.
Steve

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #39

Steve,

Often it can be a combination of things, the shroud being backwards may be contributing, but it was something else that tripped you over.

Just found the problem in my charging systems that has confounded me for 4 years. It fooled me because there were 3 other problems I found and I kept assuming it was one of them failing again. In the end it was the battery temp sensor sending the Magnum a temp of 108C when it was really 22C.

Carry on and good luck.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #40

Diesels also make heat if the are over fueling... have a EGT gauge?
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #41
laj

Steve, who's the tech at cc that's working on it?
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Steve, who's the tech at cc that's working on it?
John is the tech who is in charge, there have been others working on it at times..

Tags
heating, heat