Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #43

Steve, on my other motorhome it used to overheat pulling a grade. I bought a 2 gal gas can and installed a washer pump motor in the bottom of it and ran a hose with a piece of PEX line with small holes which aimed at the radiator. When it started to overheat I hit the switch and misted the radiator which seemed to cool it down. Certainly not a final fix but it seemed to work for me.
Steve

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Steve, can you post a picture of the shroud? I want to compare it to a friend of mine's.
Steve

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
Steve,

Here's a pic
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #45

Have you tried http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.php?action=forum
The Diesel RV forum. Some real expertise on that site.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #46

Steve, how's it going? Did they fix it yet?
Steve
Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Steve, how's it going? Did they fix it yet?
Steve
They said it's fixed, said the problem was the slow leaking radiator and the incorrectly installed shroud..According to CC, the slow leak allows air into the radiator causing at times a vapor block that stops the cooling and thus the intermittent overheating.....

I don't believe it...We hit the road this morning, drove up to Albany, Or to Silverleaf, got up to 220 degrees once, after that drove to Bend, fan ran all the time and temp never got about 194 even climbing the grades.. I still say the fan controller is the problem...
Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I kind of have the same problem on my 3126B, but after reading this, I have run the engine and checked for coolant leaks and none. I have cleaned the radiator several times in the last couple of months from both sides with Blue Dawn two different times and ZEP 505 the last time. My shroud seems to be going the right direction, but i do have a small,1X2" chip out of the end of one fan blade, but have a new one to replace it with. Tried to do it myself and gave up. Only four bolts, but rather difficult to access them. I also suspect my fan controller and have gone back to check it once when it overheated and I was pulled over to let it cool down. Had the DW tell me when the temp dropped below 198 and there was no difference in the volumne of sound. I guess the next thing is to disconnect the power to the PWM and see if the fan kicks in.
Mine will overheat when pulling a major hill or even a long steady gentle upgrade. I did run the heat a couple of times, but to no avail. It also does it whether or not I'm pulling my toad.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #49

Steve, you might want to have the cooling system checked for combustion gases. It is an easy test and it might show an internal problem that is leading to your overheating problem. You must be so frustrated at this point.
Steve

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #50

Intake air flow to Engine restricted causing it to run rich on fuel causing high EGT when your right foot is in it???? just a thought, it happens
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #51

Probelm finally solved. Took the coach to a palce called Source Engineering in Eugene, Or. They installed a wax valve and eliminated the fan controller. Have driven it from Eugene to Bakersfield, CA. almost 800 miles and it hasn't gotten above 195 degrees.. Finally.. FIXED!!!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #52

Yippee! How long will you be in Bakersfield?

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Jan View Post
Probelm finally solved. Took the coach to a palce called Source Engineering in Eugene, Or. They installed a wax valve and eliminated the fan controller. Have driven it from Eugene to Bakersfield, CA. almost 800 miles and it hasn't gotten above 195 degrees.. Finally.. FIXED!!!
Great to hear another good report on Source Engineering. They have a good rep, particularly among Roadmaster chassis owners. But they have products and services for multiple brands of suspensions. Ride enhancement kits, custom shocks, air bag valving, radiators, CAC's, coolant recovery kits, etc. They're not far from Junction City.

Cummins Northwest is across the street, a great Peterson CAT shop down the road south end of Eugene, Northwest RV supply, and Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene. The list goes on.

Anything one might need done to a coach can be done and done well within 15 miles of Coburg (Eugene) Oregon.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #54

Very happy for you. Much cheaper than trading in for a new coach.

Can you provide a more complete explanation of what it means to remove the controller and install the wax valve, and what was the actual cause?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Yippee! How long will you be in Bakersfield?

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
Steve,

We'll be here through tomorrow, then will head over to the Palm Springs area, stop by if you're in the area.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Very happy for you. Much cheaper than trading in for a new coach.

Can you provide a more complete explanation of what it means to remove the controller and install the wax valve, and what was the actual cause?
The problem was the electronic fan controller. I don't know exactly how the wax valve works, it's inserted inside one of the radiator hoses and works off of temperature, the fan speeds up at 194 degrees and cools to 185. It's a mechanical device, (old school) as opposed to an electronic controller. I've been told the new electronic controllers have programming issues..The guy at Source Engineering said this is old technology, but it works very well. I told him I didn't care if Henry Ford invented it, just so it works...

Tags
heating, heat