Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

C-13 question

The last two times I've driven my coach, my toad has been covered with what seems to be a sooty exhaust film, smells like diesel, back of coach all grungy too, have checked all fluid levels and they are right at the top, no visible signs of anything leaking. Never have had this happen before, last trip, 300 miles, had to wash the car twice to get it clean. Wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this?
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Have you checked the slobber tube to see if it has any oil around it. Mine comes straight down next to the starter and it is wet all the time. How full is the motor, I try and keep mine between add & full and that helps a lot. How hot has it been, could be coolant coming from the tank and so soot on it, rear diff seal leaking. Just need to crawl under and look around.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
I would check for an exhaust leak. I had a similar problem and it was the exhaust manifold. I had a soot like stuff over everything.
2017 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Jan View Post
The last two times I've driven my coach, my toad has been covered with what seems to be a sooty exhaust film, smells like diesel, back of coach all grungy too, have checked all fluid levels and they are right at the top, no visible signs of anything leaking. Never have had this happen before, last trip, 300 miles, had to wash the car twice to get it clean. Wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this?

Steve, how is the engine running? Can you watch the tailpipe in the mirrors while you are driving to see if there is any smoke coming from the exhaust? Did you just have it serviced? If you did, check the oil level. There is a filter where the sloppier tube comes out at the top of the engine. I don't remember the name of it but if it is clogged then you may have too much pressure inside the engine. Hope Anya of that helps.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
I had what sounds like a similar problem a few years ago - but on a Cummins ISC. Turned out to be a leaking fuel fitting on the injector pump. Cummins fixed mine under warranty but the point is I thought it was oil but apparently the road dirt turned the fuel VERY dark. Had a difficult time cleaning both the toad and rear of coach.
Just a thought.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Have you checked the slobber tube to see if it has any oil around it. Mine comes straight down next to the starter and it is wet all the time. How full is the motor, I try and keep mine between add & full and that helps a lot. How hot has it been, could be coolant coming from the tank and so soot on it, rear diff seal leaking. Just need to crawl under and look around.
2 stroker
I'm guessing slobber tube, as well and if no problem previously, then maybe has too much oil it it.
I've never had much drip from mine, if at all, but did hang a gatorade bottle on mine, with a bunch of holes punched in it at the top. Also have some fine steel wool in the bottom to soak up any oil. Seems to work fine, with no ill effects and a whole lot cheaper than Cat's add on part for this.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

What was the result of your problem??
Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Found the cause, had a leak in a line at the transmission cooler, had lost 2 gallons of trans fluid and had a leak on a hose at the water pump, had lost 6 quarts of coolant, all fixed now, thanks to all for the replies.
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #9

Great, where are you guys hanging out at?