Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

C-9 Check Engine Light

A friend keeps getting an intermittent check engine light with his Cat C-9 engine. Is there anyone here that has a list of the items that can cause the check engine light? We'd like to be able to review the list and maybe eliminate the items one at a time until we can determine what's causing the light. Thanks for any info!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a little low on coolant. Our Winnebago will do that when it is a little low and I come to a stop.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

As stated coolant level and clean the batteries always a good place to start.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing would be a low oil level or low oil pressure. The former can be caused stopping quickly or stopping going down a hill and the oil runs to the front of the engine. The latter can also be caused be a sudden lift of the foot and the oil pressure drops rapidly.
I would suggest that you get it into a CAT mechanic so that the codes can be read.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get a code for the check engine light try this web site, it gives codes for C7 and C9:

http://www.sbsales.com/docs/cat_engine_codes.pdf
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #6

Thank you all for your help. My buddy was able to get the failure code from his diagnostics panel and called Spartan. They say the code is for the coolant level sensor.....he ordered a replacement from Spartan. Thank you all once again!!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

I would hope my medallion would indicate low coolant VS. a check engine obscure message. That is a lot of work to determine you are low on coolant (or need a sensor).

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #8

True, you'd think there would be an icon for low coolant level on the display panel.....check engine light does seem a bit drastic for only low coolant level. To be honest, I don't know if I have a low coolant level light on my display or not, never seen it and have never looked.....
Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

hi
i have a c7 2005 with same problem and after a year finally found a good tech who fixed it with no help from freightliner,my engine lite came on and went off and all along the guages were all normal and the engine remained normal.
problem was that my boost pressure was overpressuring from the exhaust turbo.on mine it should be 25 psi but it was up to 29 psi when driving which turned on my engine lite from the exhaust sensor valve which is mounted on top of engine takes 10 minutes to change and is$350.00.first make sure your air filter and fuel filter is good,to test this you need a tech with a laptop and PROPER PROGRAMMING for your engine.if that doesn't work check out your j1939 to make sure there is no wiring problem,and that can be checked with simple ohmn test through your plug in at the motor,do this before replacing expensive parts
good luck if you need further info no problem
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #10

your boost pressure is to high
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

I have a 2008 C9 Cat and about 3 years ago Cat replaced the complete exhaust system as ours was on a recall from Cat. The system the installed was a complete different system than was originally in the coach. This new system is now causing the check engine light to come on as it has a radiator in it which is leaking water into the regeneration system. This moisture is causing the sensors to not function properly and also I am being told there is a carbon particullit filter which will have to be cleaned if it has too much back pressure. This is what I am told by the Cat dealer tech that is working on it. There estimate is 8 to 10 hours of labor with an estimate of $1000 for the radiator plus the cleaning of the pariculite filter if that is necessary. The general estimate is $2000 to $2500 to have this done. My motor is a C9 Cat 425 hp with 60,000 miles. I believe Cat should bear some of the costs of this as it was replacement obviously for an item that did not work and only has approximately 20,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
racerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Something else to think about as well as check. The "surge tank" on top of the radiator, Rear mounted radiators the sun beats onto these "white plastic" tanks that are NOT UV resistant. I noticed the seam between top/bottom half starting to separate. Take your fingernail & scratch the side of the tank. Mine left a deep grove! If you have some good buddies on the Freightliner parts counter your looking at about $120 for a new tank. ALSO, inspect that radiator cap as well for good seal against the rubber.
I might paint my new tank black B4 installing. I'll post the complete replacement process.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

HI
HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MY C7 2005
AFTER MANY WRONG DIAGNOSIS ONE YEAR LATER FOUND THE RIGHT MECHANIC
PROBLEM WAS IT WAS OVER BOOSTING THROUGH THE TURBO WHICH OPERATES GATE VALVE NOW THE SENSOR VALVE SHOULD OPEN AT 25 PSI AND MINE WAS A FEW LBS MORE WHICH IN TURN TURNED MY BUZZER AND STOP ENGINE LITE ON FROM OVER BOOSTING,CHANGED THE SENSOR VALVE LOCATED ON TOP OF ENGINE EVRTHING IS FINE IT'S APPROX $150 ON YOUR BIGGER ENGINE YOUR BOOST MIGHT BE ALITTLE HIGHER.GOOD LUCK EMAIL IF YOU LIKE AT rolandh@mts.net

Tags
check engine light