Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
C13 Cat 525 HP motor, Info please

We are looking at a 45 foot MH with a Cat C13 525 HP, 1750 torque engine. Looking for comments on this engine, especially when paired with an Allison 4000 tranny.

The engine has less than 45000 miles on it. I also suspect not a terribly large amount of idling as the coach has a 12500 Onan gen.

Thanks.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

It is a good engine. It is well suited to a 45 foot coach. I weigh in around 42,000 pounds and pull a 6,000 pound Suburban through the mountains. Eats up hills, lovely and steady coming down with the engine brake engaged.

I get around 7.3 mpg on winter fuel in the Rockies, so really nothing to complain about there either.

You will hear some noise about Caterpillar withdrawing from the over the road market. They did this because they couldn't economically match the emissions restrictions since. I understand that Cummins had an advantage since their average fleet numbers include the engines they sell to Dodge. Cat still has plenty of service points and any heavy diesel mechanic can work on one.

Either way, buy it and enjoy it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will love the C13. Rummer has it that Cat may be getting back in the OTR Engines.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

BTW should have mentioned that the Allison 4000 is a real workhorse and is the required transmission because of the torque generated by the C13.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Yes the coach, I actually did have a bid accepted on the coach, does have the Allison 4000 transmission. The coach went up a pretty good hill at 65 on cruise with no speed decrease. Now to admit, it was not loaded and did not have a towed vehicle, but I was impressed on the performance and ride during our 1 hour road test.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
It is a good engine. It is well suited to a 45 foot coach. I weigh in around 42,000 pounds and pull a 6,000 pound Suburban through the mountains. Eats up hills, lovely and steady coming down with the engine brake engaged.

I get around 7.3 mpg on winter fuel in the Rockies, so really nothing to complain about there either.

You will hear some noise about Caterpillar withdrawing from the over the road market. They did this because they couldn't economically match the emissions restrictions since. I understand that Cummins had an advantage since their average fleet numbers include the engines they sell to Dodge. Cat still has plenty of service points and any heavy diesel mechanic can work on one.

Either way, buy it and enjoy it.

paul, may I ask how you are getting 7.3 mpg. wow! the best we've ever got was 6.2 average. about a month ago we had our valve adjustment done and at the same time the computer flashed with all the latest updates from cat. on our recent trip back to mi from fla we now are averaging 5.7 jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
paul, may I ask how you are getting 7.3 mpg. wow! the best we've ever got was 6.2 average. about a month ago we had our valve adjustment done and at the same time the computer flashed with all the latest updates from cat. on our recent trip back to mi from fla we now are averaging 5.7 jim
Jim,

I just put in diesel and drive it. The mileage comes off the Aladin system, but it is consistent with what I put in the tank. Problem with these coaches is I run the AquaHot and the genset off the same fuel, so can't do a conclusive comparison.

I did hear that there were mileage issues with the big Cat when I was looking at mine, but I heard back from a few owners that it was resolved.

I can say that I don't drive hard - 60 mph is where I like to keep it, sometimes 65. Even a few additional mph will kill your mpg.

There is a very good paper on fuel consumption that I've posted before from Caterpillar that explains how your coach uses power and fuel.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Paul.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

I also plan on 60 mph just to help with mileage. Plus we will be FT, so there will not be a huge rush to get where we're going. Can't tell the mileage yet because we have not yet taken a longer trip. Will post when we do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Jim,

I did overstate the mileage I have experienced. I get 7 mpg in the mountains pulling the Suburban, and I get 7.3 when driving without the Suburban on the prairies where it is relatively flat.

One thing I should point out is that for every mile I drive in a city I drive about 50 on the open road. I don't know where you put your miles up, but out here east of the Rockies the roads are mostly wide open. When I get over to the west coast I see a lot more traffic, and of course, the east coast is worse.

Paul.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

This post goes to Medico..I was researching my CAT C-13 and ran across this thread from February 2013. In April I bought a 42' 2006 Country Coach Magna 630 with the C-13 cat. I love this bus so far but haven't really taken her on any long trips. I was just wondering what your opinion is of both the engine and the coach a year and a half later. I'll be towing a Chevy Tahoe.
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #11

I have a C13 in my 2005 Panther. I weigh 42,000 lbs and I tow a 2008 Ford Edge. I get an average of 5.4mpg (yes I know it's low, wish I could find out why it is lower than everyone else but it is what it is.) I feel that driving the CAT is different from driving a Cummins or a Detroit. The CAT cruises at a much lower rpm (1250-1350)and the torque curve is different. I go up the Grapevine in CA at around 1720 rpm at 49mph. I love the power and torque. One thing you do need to watch out for is the PTO drive on the transmission for the hydraulic pump. There is a dry PTO and a wet PTO system. The dry system just used grease on the drive gear coupler and it has a habit of turning into iron filings and suddenly you have no hydraulic steering or fan. The wet system has a couple of hoses that feed ATF to it. Look on the Country Coach forums and it will be discussed. I love my Kitty CAT. I did see a cute bumper sticker the other day, "Look what the CAT dragged in". If you have any questions, private message me and I will try and answer any questions you may have based upon my experiences.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I did see a cute bumper sticker the other day, "Look what the CAT dragged in". Steve
Ok , something to add to my " got to have one list ", best I'd seen was a fuel door decal, " Cat Food"
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

I like that one also!
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I have a C13 in my 2005 Panther. I weigh 42,000 lbs and I tow a 2008 Ford Edge. I get an average of 5.4mpg (yes I know it's low, wish I could find out why it is lower than everyone else but it is what it is.) I feel that driving the CAT is different from driving a Cummins or a Detroit. The CAT cruises at a much lower rpm (1250-1350)and the torque curve is different. I go up the Grapevine in CA at around 1720 rpm at 49mph. I love the power and torque. One thing you do need to watch out for is the PTO drive on the transmission for the hydraulic pump. There is a dry PTO and a wet PTO system. The dry system just used grease on the drive gear coupler and it has a habit of turning into iron filings and suddenly you have no hydraulic steering or fan. The wet system has a couple of hoses that feed ATF to it. Look on the Country Coach forums and it will be discussed. I love my Kitty CAT. I did see a cute bumper sticker the other day, "Look what the CAT dragged in". If you have any questions, private message me and I will try and answer any questions you may have based upon my experiences.
Steve
Thanks Steve, and everyone who responded. I'm pretty lucky with what I ended up with. I will PM you to Steve... You may regret the offer! LOL
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat