Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

C7 330hp to 350hp

I have a c7 330hp and I called my local cat dealer and there is a updated reflash for my ecu and I want to get It done, but I'm thinking about reflashing my ecu with the 350hp ecu, did anybody ever got this done and if so how did It work and how was the performance result, or should I just stick with the 330hp, thanks Joe.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I have a c7 330hp and I called my local cat dealer and there is a updated reflash for my ecu and I want to get It done, but I'm thinking about reflashing my ecu with the 350hp ecu, did anybody ever got this done and if so how did It work and how was the performance result, or should I just stick with the 330hp, thanks Joe.
Flashing an ECM is an art. Make sure that the programmer has experience doing this and has done the Dyno tests to prove out the performance gains.

You can call Jon at Brazel's RV Performance for a consult if you would like speak with an expert at these things.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Flashing an ECM is an art. Make sure that the programmer has experience doing this and has done the Dyno tests to prove out the performance gains.

You can call Jon at Brazel's RV Performance for a consult if you would like speak with an expert at these things.
I sure hope that the cat dealer knows what they're doing because if they don't who will then.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

ok I ended up just with a reflash for the 330HP because the cat dealler told me that there is a $550.00 charge for the upgrade plus an hour labor, I didn't think that It was worth It, the torque would remain the same just a 20HP increase and they told me that It would burn a bit more fuel, so i decided to stick with the 330.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
ok I ended up just with a reflash for the 330HP because the cat dealler told me that there is a $550.00 charge for the upgrade plus an hour labor, I didn't think that It was worth It, the torque would remain the same just a 20HP increase and they told me that It would burn a bit more fuel, so i decided to stick with the 330.
Probably a wise choice.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Probably a wise choice.

Yes, a wise choice. You get the additional hp by burning more fuel. That generates more heat as well as more power. Then you have to get rid of the heat.

If your coach cooling system is marginal, or adequate for the 330 engine, than you may create more problems than you solve by providing more heat than it can dissipate..
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #7

Coastal Campers
What about a plug in programmer? I have read that the boost fooler, and timing programmers add up to 30% more hp.
I have my doubts that it is actually 30%, but there must be something there?
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #8

Yes there is such a thing I have one in my cat with a muffler and an air filter and it makes a big difference
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
So what did you accomplish with the reflash? Were you having problems?
What was the reflash supposed to improve upon or fix?
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I upped mine From 300 to 330 No differance in torque Just 30 HP. It was w waste of $100.00 If the torque stays the same A thousand Hp , Don't do squat Except use more fuel. Some will dissagree ,Thats OK. Torque gets you up the hill. HP is Determaned By A set RPM.. cats. Appx.3000. Then the brake/drag/load is put on the output shaft To were it will hold ves were it will drag the RPM down. Brake HP Is only a Manufactures Guide line. And some BuyersLook for the large HP. rather then Torque;; I hope I haven't up set the Big HP guy.. I was one of them once to; unTell the 300 HP diesel In my friends out pulled the Vortex/workhores With a much larger HP/ And the Workhorse was 6 ' shorter; Life is so good'
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote