Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

C7 Coolant

We have a 2006 Bounder with 300hp Cat. Bought it used in 2010. Have been religious about oil changes at 5000 miles or once a year. Have never changed or added anything to cooling system. Has never overheated. Now have about 65000 miles on it. Had coolant checked once in about 2013 and was told it was fine. Have not paid much attention to it since. [emoji849] no leaks and level never goes down.
I believe it is just ‘heavy duty’ standard coolant and not ELC.

Now my question:
Can (should) I get some test strips (where?) and test it or should I take it to a shop (Freightliner or Cat) ? and have it checked. Should I consider switching it over to ELC?
Any input would be appreciated.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Cat has a test kit to buy. I changed mine to the CAT ELC at about your mileage.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

If you do a search, you'll find all kinds of test strips you can compare. Some are not compatible with ELC coolants, some with both. I also use one of the "float" type testers for boiling/freeze point as a double-check.

I check my coolant using test strips annually. I would personally not go years without knowing my coolant was good...too much potential damage to the cooling system and engine. Checking often and knowing is not very costly.

Here's a great source of information on coolants and what to look for and correct, if needed.

http://esource.alstribology.com/WB03...ide-Eckert.pdf
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We have a 2006 Bounder with 300hp Cat. Bought it used in 2010. Have been religious about oil changes at 5000 miles or once a year. Have never changed or added anything to cooling system. Has never overheated. Now have about 65000 miles on it. Had coolant checked once in about 2013 and was told it was fine. Have not paid much attention to it since. [emoji849] no leaks and level never goes down.
I believe it is just ‘heavy duty’ standard coolant and not ELC.

Now my question:
Can (should) I get some test strips (where?) and test it or should I take it to a shop (Freightliner or Cat) ? and have it checked. Should I consider switching it over to ELC?
Any input would be appreciated.
I'm not one of those that goes crazy over CAT oil filters or fuel filters and will use good ones like WIX etc. But, when it come so antifreeze for our C-7 330HP model, I like to go with what CAT recommends. Primarily 'cause of the way the internal engine cooling system is designed. They (CAT) want's fairly specific coolant. I get mine from Napa and it's CAT approved. I don't know about the ELC stuff. Eventually, I too need to flush mine and renew all of the antifreeze.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you haven't done anything in 8 years, it would be a good idea to get your coolant tested. I had a a coolant analysis done by JG Lubricantsthey are an IRV2 sponsor. The owner, Tom Johnson, is a former engineer with Allison and if you have any questions call and talk to him. If you enter "IRV2" in the coupon code, you get a 10 % discount.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

C7 Coolant

I have a SIL who works for Cat. He contacted the truck shop manager at his Cat dealership about my coolant questions and sent back this....”He said he recommends the ELC (Extended Life Coolant) Cat coolant. What he needs to know is which color coolant you are running green, red, etc. and if you have a coolant filter? If you were to change out the coolant and refill with ELC and you have a coolant filter, the filter would have to be bypassed.”
Now I’m more confused than ever. I’ve read here that color really doesn’t mean much! I can look and see what color my coolant is and I have ordered a test kit to test it, but I have no idea where to look for a coolant filter and what it might look like. I feel like I am getting deeper and deeper into the brown stuff.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have a SIL who works for Cat. He contacted the truck shop manager at his Cat dealership about my coolant questions and sent back this....”He said he recommends the ELC (Extended Life Coolant) Cat coolant. What he needs to know is which color coolant you are running green, red, etc. and if you have a coolant filter? If you were to change out the coolant and refill with ELC and you have a coolant filter, the filter would have to be bypassed.”
Now I’m more confused than ever. I’ve read here that color really doesn’t mean much! I can look and see what color my coolant is and I have ordered a test kit to test it, but I have no idea where to look for a coolant filter and what it might look like. I feel like I am getting deeper and deeper into the brown stuff.
I doubt you have a coolant filter, they started doing away with that before 2006. If you did it would look like an automotive oil filter etc with heater hoses going to it. My 2007 C7 didn't have it. Again I really doubt you have one.
I would just change your antifreeze, then you know what you've got.
What is your serial number I'll see how the engine was shipped from CAT.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I doubt you have a coolant filter, they started doing away with that before 2006. If you did it would look like an automotive oil filter etc with heater hoses going to it. My 2007 C7 didn't have it. Again I really doubt you have one.
While I'm certainly no expert on ever single CAT powered coach built, I'd have to agree here that, not too many have coolant filters. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, does NOT have any coolant filter. Nor does all my buddies who own '05 and '06 Journeys and Meridians, all with C-7s, as well as another buddy who owns an '01 Journey with a 3126 and he has no coolant filter. I'm not saying they don't exist. All I'm saying is, I don't know of any on, any CAT powered coaches on much of the 2000 through 2007 that I have had contact with.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
Cat

I did some looking,the last dates I can find anything mentioning coolant filters was 1998.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:

What serial number do you want and where would I find it. There are several.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

C7 Coolant

Here are pictures of coolant and the notice on radiator;:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3158.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	232851
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3157.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	232852  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Cat

I'm not sure about what kind of antifreeze you have, it certainly doesn't appear to be fresh. The sticker does say it had SCA in it when it left the factory. That is a diesel engine formula. Engine serial number. Sometimes it beside your chassis / vin number. It is also located on the valve cover on some and a plate on the block.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
Cat

It is needed for protection in other areas other than liners. Factory fill had it. Ford native bore engines need it. CAT had some larger engine block where they would pit and cavitate if there were no SCA.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
It is needed for protection in other areas other than liners. Factory fill had it. Ford native bore engines need it. CAT had some larger engine block where they would pit and cavitate if there were no SCA.

How about WAX19835?