Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
C7 crankcase breather oil vapor

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon and have finally given up on correcting the existing breather. Even if we run the prescribed 19 quarts of oil our car is covered with oil after a days travel. We just completed a 14,000 mile trip from Florida to Alaska and return. A great adventure, but too much time spent washing the oil from the car and rear of coach.
Today, I purchased the necessary parts from Cat to move the breather to the top of the Valve cover, where there is less active oil movement. After removing the valve cover, I had to determine a good location. It needed to be away from injectors and rocker arms. Next to the #2 injector (From the fan end of engine) Plenty of room for reinforcements (JB Weld) .058 Stainless plate. Parts from Cat include: Cap for existing side mounted breather, "O" ring, and new breather tube.
WOW! No oil from new breather and less than $70.00 spent
You just have to plug the old slobber tub (A 3/4 copper pipe cap & Clamp is all that was needed.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you post pictures? I would like to see.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy photos

I figured out how to correct the breather problem, but don't know how to post photos!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Above are two photos I have so far of the conversion
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Breather proceedure

The first thing is to clean and remove the valve cover (carefully keeping track of the bolts and special spacers) I then measured the location for the breather assembly, between rocker arms and #2 injector. The cover is quite thin and requires reinforcing. On the inside of the cover I drilled the center location of the breather. Next I cut a 4 1/4 diameter piece of .058 Stainless steel and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center. Using a 1/4 -20 bolt I bolted the stainless temporarly on the inside and penciled a line around it. I removes the stainless and made a rope-caulk dam on the pencil line to keep the epoxy in place. I applied enough JB weld to fill the area and bolted in the stainless in place and waited for it to cure.

On the top side, use the breather to draw your circle, Make similar rope-caulk dam. Carefully fill the area with JB Weld and allow to flow out and level fill the area. Allow to cure overnight. Remove your 1/4-20 bolt and re-drill the hole for a 5/16"-18 bolt. The bolt will need to be aprox 5 and 5/16" long. Fasten bolt to valve cover with a washer and nut. You will need a lock washer to hold breather on. You will need to drill 9 or 10 3/8" holes in the cover. (In a circle just inside the area of the breather) Attach the breather, "O" ring and lock nut. You can now attach the breather hose. (Somewhat modified with 1" oil proof hose and 1" copper fittings)

Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice job,, Now I hope the people that have problems with there breather Read your post. I put a tube out the back With a rubber elbo on the end of it, And get very little oil on the tow car, Also I have over 10000. miles on this oil change and have not added 1 (one ) drop (no) oil to the crankcase it is a CAT. 330. I am happy. Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote