Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #29

Just so you guys know, the water serperator isn't a CAT made product. That's an add on option though Freightliner. CAT doesn't make a filter for it. However, in my experiance when i was in a bind stuck on the side of the road once I was able to spin on a regular cat fuel filter to replace the water seperator filter. It was an exact match thread wise.

Now keep in mind I don't know what an RV setup looks like, but it really doesn't matter if you use the open end filter or a regular fuel filter. I too have had a hard time finding that filter. Freightliner doesn't always carry it. The truck stop I use to PM my truck does carry it.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to limit yourself to use Freightliner for CAT engine parts & filters. Kenworth & Petrbilt used cat motors as well, You can find a dealer & just need the vin # & you are good to go.
CAT Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Very true, that is why I said in post #9 to use a fresh quart of transmission fluid. It's new, it's clean, and it's easy to use and will work every time with NO problem no matter what any expert will tell you.
Directly into the filter or fuel tank?
CAT Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
First...It's Freightliner not Caterpillar who installs the filter(s)...Cat gives the chassis maker the specs on their engine, 2 microns for Cat and the chassis makes has to get it there...
Second...Most Freightliner chassis built from Jan 2000 to Dec 2003 have only one fuel filter and it has to be 2 micron...Alliance (Freightliner) S32FRT03...Racor S3203...Cat 198-6378 to name a few...These filters require a bowl screwed onto them...Cat part# 146-6696
As 1ciderdog stated, it seems like someone changed things on yours...My rig has only 1 filter and I change it every 5000 miles....It doesn't take long to clog one 2 micron filter...
Is fuel getting more dirty? I have to change my 2 micron filter (single) about every 3000 to 4000 miles up here in NY. As soon as I feel that telltale engine shudder (e.g 1 cylinder fuel starved) - I change the filter out and all is good for awhile.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Is fuel getting more dirty? I have to change my 2 micron filter (single) about every 3000 to 4000 miles up here in NY. As soon as I feel that telltale engine shudder (e.g 1 cylinder fuel starved) - I change the filter out and all is good for awhile.
Well Sir,
At this point in time, all I can tell you is, we put on the average, about 5,000 a year on this coach. To some, that's not enough to warrant the ownership of a diesel pusher. But, that's neither here nor there. And, so far, this engine seems to run the average 5,000 miles we put on it annually, with only a regular single fuel filter change once a year. I've not had any times when I thought I was loosing power and or, a fuel supply problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
I found this with a google search.

I thought the 2004 only had one filter but could have been changed over also.
Your secondary filter, (or only filter if a single system) needs to be a 2 micron. This would be Cat 175-2949, Racor S-3203 or Alliance S32FRT03. The cat has a manual drain but no bowl. Some of the numbers vary whether you want the filter with a new bowl or just the filter (you can reuse your bowl).
It is very important to have the correct rated filter but it does not have to be cat.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
Scott,
I found this with a google search.

I thought the 2004 only had one filter but could have been changed over also.
Your secondary filter, (or only filter if a single system) needs to be a 2 micron. This would be Cat 175-2949, Racor S-3203 or Alliance S32FRT03. The cat has a manual drain but no bowl. Some of the numbers vary whether you want the filter with a new bowl or just the filter (you can reuse your bowl).
It is very important to have the correct rated filter but it does not have to be cat.
Hey rver98,
Thank you for that link. Over the years of owning this beast, I've learned a lot about it and, much of its innards. In doing a bit of research, way back quite a while ago, I spoke directly with Brett Wolf (a well know Freightliner and CAT expert and teacher) about this single fuel filter thing with the CATs in the '04 era. There are early '04 coaches, mostly with the 3126 CAT engines and, late '04 CAT engines that do have TWO FUEL FILTERS.

But, those in the middle of '04, were issued only ONE FUEL FILTER due to what has been explained to me as sort of "squabble" between CAT and Freightliner. As I was told, the bean counters at Freightliner won that round and, the coaches sporting a Freightliner chassis in that section of the '04 year, got only one filter.

But, for whatever reason, coaches with the Freightliner chassis in the way later part of the year, went back to two filters. Hmmmmmm. All I know at this time is, I look for a filter that's 2 micron and, can be used with a bowl on the bottom.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #35

Jhanan, you may want to check the next filter you pull. I've been there done that, found out I had an algae problem in my tank.

Cut the used filter and see what's in there, if you see jelly like stuff you may want to treat your tank.

Might not be the fuel you are buying, could be the fuel you got.

Just a thought on repeated clogged filters.

L.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #36

If using the Racor filter S3201, the letter at the end designates the micron rating....

S3201S=2 microns

S3201T=10 microns

S3201P=30 microns

http://parker.com/portal/site/PARKER...1+SERIES&Wtky=

I get mine here

https://www.tdswarehouse.com/default.asp
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel