RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

C7 fuel filter thing, frustrating

Gents,
We're about to embark on our first long journey with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. I've changed the oil using the Delo 15w40 and a Napa 1791 filter, (just like the one that was on it before we purchased it). I've been tearing my gray hair out with this fuel filter thing.

It appears I've only got ONE fuel filter on this version of the C-7. I've followed the lines from it and one disappears into a maze of wiring, tubing, corrugated wire cover, etc. at or near the rear diff. The other runs right up to what appears to be the injection pump. There is DEFFINATELY no other filter in that line.

So, that being said, the fuel filter that's on there presently is: CAT 175-2949.

Now, I'm also led to believe that if, it's a SINGLE filter system, which mine is, than the filter MUST be a 2 micron. Well, I can't find any info ANYWHERE about that present filter being 2 micron. And that filter has a bleeder on the bottom of it but, there's no provisions to add or adapt a clear bowl for seeing fuel contamination and draining.

So, that means getting a new filter, which I'd like to do, that is GUARRANTEED to fit my screw-on threads, gasket area etc. that also comes with or, can be used in conjunction with, a clear bowl.

A phone call to CAT this morning revealed that the part number: 198-6378 would be a filter and part number: 146-6696 would be the bowl kit for that filter but, and here's the kicker, he cannot guarantee that , that new part number of the filter will fit my filter mounting plate.

This diesel thing is a p.i.t.a. On my previous coach, a '99 Bounder with the V-10, there was no guessing at ANYTHING. It had ONE fuel filter, with a nation wide part number, and ONE oil filter with a nation wide part number. The person at CAT this morning was more or less insisting on the fact that I should have TWO oil filters and TWO fuel filters. Well, I DON'T. I've got ONE fuel filter and ONE oil filter. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAT may make a zillion different engines for every kind of heavy duty thing on this planet but, when it comes to motor homes, there seems to be nothing that's standard. Many folks seem to think a 3126 engine is the same as a C7, it's not. The C7 is later an had different components on it.

So, my question to you CAT experts, 1, have any of you C7 owners changed from a 175-2949 fuel filter/water separator to any other make, brand, etc. fuel filter/water separator with a bowl on the bottom of it and simply screwed right in place of the old 175-2949?????

This coach has 42K miles on it and with what appears to be a single fuel filter system and has been problem free. So, based on what manuals and forum threads/posts I've read, a single fuel filter system MUST be of at least 2 micron. So, that being said, I'm ASSUMING that the 179-2949 is a two micron. I've checked the net and like stated, I can't find info on it's rating. Thanks
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Call Freightliner 1-800-FTL-HELP. Give them the last 6 of your VIN. They will tell you how your coach was originally built, and what p/n's to use to replace them.

FL builds the chassis and has the info you need.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

My 2004 Cat C-7 uses this Alliance Filter. KPN-N2232FRT03It is a 2 or 3 micron filter and it is what I usually notice when walking behind a diesel pusher with a Cat engine that appears to be about the vintage as mine. Maybe you can Google it and see if it looks like it would work on your unit. Perhaps someone changed the original filter or ?? All that said do call Freightliner as suggested.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

First...It's Freightliner not Caterpillar who installs the filter(s)...Cat gives the chassis maker the specs on their engine, 2 microns for Cat and the chassis makes has to get it there...
Second...Most Freightliner chassis built from Jan 2000 to Dec 2003 have only one fuel filter and it has to be 2 micron...Alliance (Freightliner) S32FRT03...Racor S3203...Cat 198-6378 to name a few...These filters require a bowl screwed onto them...Cat part# 146-6696
As 1ciderdog stated, it seems like someone changed things on yours...My rig has only 1 filter and I change it every 5000 miles....It doesn't take long to clog one 2 micron filter...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Thanks guys,
I appreciate your responses here. It's all new to me so, it's possible that someone may have changed the original filter to the present one I have. I've read a couple of posts and threads about what it takes to add a second filter and it's quite a little job. And, that second filter also has a hand primer pump. I'll look into that later. The way I figure it, that rig's made it to 42K miles with just one, it will most likely go quite a bit farther with a single fuel filter.

It will be nice to get one with the clear bowl on is so I can see what or if, there's something in there besides fuel. I'm in the process of buying the CAT 198-7368 and, the little bowl that has to be purchase separately. I should have both of those tomorrow. The CAT parts tech had to cross reference my old filter, the 198 and a Donaldson all together in order to be able to see if the threads and the gasket size was the same. It appears it is so, the new 198 should fit in my base. We'll see. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump includes a picture showing where your 2nd filter would be if you have one. It also shows what would be necessary to add one in a convenient location if you wanted to upgrade from a single filter.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is only one fuel filter back by the radiator. Standing behind the Motorhome you can see it through the grill on the lower right.It is a 2 micron filter and should have a clear plastic base that will screw on to the new filter. You should pre fill the fuel filter and can use a fresh quart of trans fluid to fill it if you don't have any CLEAN diesel laying around. Forget all the advice about corks and small holes etc. etc. etc.. I have been doing this for years and it works great
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
There is only one fuel filter back by the radiator. Standing behind the Motorhome you can see it through the grill on the lower right.It is a 2 micron filter and should have a clear plastic base that will screw on to the new filter. You should pre fill the fuel filter and can use a fresh quart of trans fluid to fill it if you don't have any CLEAN diesel laying around. Forget all the advice about corks and small holes etc. etc. etc.. I have been doing this for years and it works great
Chuck,
Thanks for your responding to my posts. Yes Sir, my filter is at the rear of the coach and is visible through the grill. It is a CAT filter number: 175-2949. However, because of it being that number, it has no clear bowl on the bottom of it. That's why I'm changing to a different number filter today. I'm going to the one stated above, and it WILL have the bowl on the bottom of it. Now, as far as changing of it, this will be a bit new. I've changed a zillion filters before but, not this one on a diesel. Bret, in the CAT forum states you should have a full tank of fuel, or at least park the rig up hill so that as you remove the present filter, the incoming line doesn't drain back into the tank and therefore, you'd have a large "air gap" in the lines that you may or may not have trouble purging.

I'm just a bit concerned about that. THERE IS NO PRIMER PUMP on this rig.
Scott
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Chuck,
Thanks for your responding to my posts. Yes Sir, my filter is at the rear of the coach and is visible through the grill. It is a CAT filter number: 175-2949. However, because of it being that number, it has no clear bowl on the bottom of it. That's why I'm changing to a different number filter today. I'm going to the one stated above, and it WILL have the bowl on the bottom of it. Now, as far as changing of it, this will be a bit new. I've changed a zillion filters before but, not this one on a diesel. Bret, in the CAT forum states you should have a full tank of fuel, or at least park the rig up hill so that as you remove the present filter, the incoming line doesn't drain back into the tank and therefore, you'd have a large "air gap" in the lines that you may or may not have trouble purging.

I'm just a bit concerned about that. THERE IS NO PRIMER PUMP on this ri
Scott
NO PROBLEM !!! Don't worry about the primer pump, you don't need it. Just fill the new filter with a fresh container of any kind of transmission fluid. Just pour it in slowley until it is full and screw it on. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and you will be fine. This is what I do and it works every time, NO PROBLEM. If you have any questions call me at 818 482 1119 and I will be glad to talk to you about it >
Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

Chuck, and others,
Well, the filter came in and so did the bowl. I got them from two different places, Wow, almost $70.00 in that setup. Guess I'll be using the "Filterbarn" from now on. But, it's all on there and appears to be working just fine with no leaks.
I must say though, it was a bit of a pain to replace. My newly installed motorcycle lift was in the way and, the way that remote filter is hung and the hoses on both sides, it was not that easy to R & R that thing. And, the new one is a tad longer because of the added length in the bowl.

I cruised on down to the gas station and got a whole $3.00 worth of diesel so I could prime it before installation. I know Chuck said I could use ATF but I'll admit, I was a bit scared of using that so, it was really no biggie to go get some diesel. By the way, since dispensing diesel into the side of the fuel inlet in the side of the coach is a blind operation, you never get to see what diesel looks like. So, I put it in a clean gas can and then, when I got home, I transferred it into a two litre plastic Pepsi container that had been thoroughly cleaned out.

I'll have to admit, it looks just like the color of 7-up in that container. So, all is well now. I've got a new filter, one with a bowl on it and there's no leaks etc. Thanks again for all your help and assistance here.
Scott
Old 08-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

FireUp,

Another "quick tip". When you start the engine with the new filter, take it right up to about 1800 rpm and hold it for at least 30 seconds to purge any air. That's why I only change the fuel filter after the engine is warm.

BTW: This tip came from Mike Cody at Camp Freightliner.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
We're about to embark on our first long journey with our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. I've changed the oil using the Delo 15w40 and a Napa 1791 filter, (just like the one that was on it before we purchased it). I've been tearing my gray hair out with this fuel filter thing.

It appears I've only got ONE fuel filter on this version of the C-7. I've followed the lines from it and one disappears into a maze of wiring, tubing, corrugated wire cover, etc. at or near the rear diff. The other runs right up to what appears to be the injection pump. There is DEFFINATELY no other filter in that line.

So, that being said, the fuel filter that's on there presently is: CAT 175-2949.

Now, I'm also led to believe that if, it's a SINGLE filter system, which mine is, than the filter MUST be a 2 micron. Well, I can't find any info ANYWHERE about that present filter being 2 micron. And that filter has a bleeder on the bottom of it but, there's no provisions to add or adapt a clear bowl for seeing fuel contamination and draining.

So, that means getting a new filter, which I'd like to do, that is GUARRANTEED to fit my screw-on threads, gasket area etc. that also comes with or, can be used in conjunction with, a clear bowl.

A phone call to CAT this morning revealed that the part number: 198-6378 would be a filter and part number: 146-6696 would be the bowl kit for that filter but, and here's the kicker, he cannot guarantee that , that new part number of the filter will fit my filter mounting plate.

This diesel thing is a p.i.t.a. On my previous coach, a '99 Bounder with the V-10, there was no guessing at ANYTHING. It had ONE fuel filter, with a nation wide part number, and ONE oil filter with a nation wide part number. The person at CAT this morning was more or less insisting on the fact that I should have TWO oil filters and TWO fuel filters. Well, I DON'T. I've got ONE fuel filter and ONE oil filter. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAT may make a zillion different engines for every kind of heavy duty thing on this planet but, when it comes to motor homes, there seems to be nothing that's standard. Many folks seem to think a 3126 engine is the same as a C7, it's not. The C7 is later an had different components on it.

So, my question to you CAT experts, 1, have any of you C7 owners changed from a 175-2949 fuel filter/water separator to any other make, brand, etc. fuel filter/water separator with a bowl on the bottom of it and simply screwed right in place of the old 175-2949?????

This coach has 42K miles on it and with what appears to be a single fuel filter system and has been problem free. So, based on what manuals and forum threads/posts I've read, a single fuel filter system MUST be of at least 2 micron. So, that being said, I'm ASSUMING that the 179-2949 is a two micron. I've checked the net and like stated, I can't find info on it's rating. Thanks
Scott
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Scott. I purchased my 2004 C-7 new, it has two fuel filters, the one on the engine is a 2 micron, which it's supposed to be but according to the part number my rear water/fuel filter is also a 2 micron even though it's supposed to be a 10 micron which I have been unable to find in all the time I've owned the coach. So I'm still using a 2 micron filter at the back of the coach until I can find more/better information on the filters.

Wagonmaster2

Between Freightliner and Alliance numbers keep changing and neither company will list all their filter numbers and the micron rating. Can't imagine why in the world the micron rating is not printed right on the filter.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only one filter, 2 Micron,
Freightliner Part # APB-N122-32FRT03 FILTER ELEMENT List price $27.58 Net $21.21
FILTER BOWL, FA RAI RK 30051 KIT RPLC 320 AMBER 239D $28.85

These are the part numbers off the Freightliner Invoice. When I bought my Moterhome some sevice shop had thrown away the old filter, bowl and all, and replaced it with a 10 micron filter. The above part numbers are what I used to replace the wrong filter.
I hope this helps. Read the posts on pre filling the filter. There is no lift pump so you don't need to look for one. In an earlier post I posted how to pre fill the filter that is guarenteed to work with the trans fluid. Others have taken umbridge with it so you decide. Good luck !!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1R0751 is the 2u CAT secondary filter.

ABP-N122-S3226FL01 (aka ABPN122R50419 or ABPS3226FL01) is a 10u Alliance primary/water separator.

ABP-N122-S3226FL02 (aka ABPN10GFS19593 or ABPS3226FL02) is a 30u Alliance primary/water separator.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel