Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #15

You say that your mileage is based on the MH computer. Have you checked on a long trip manually. I log all my fuel stops, mileage and gallons. At the end of the trip I'm sure what my average fuel mileage is.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstcc View Post
My Journey with a 350 Cat pullin a Jeep only averages 5.9 per the dash computer.
How can I improve this?
I also don't think it has the power it should.
Where do I start?
How fast do you drive? My 3126 gives me 10 at 60 to 63MPH. How clean is your air filter?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstcc View Post
My Journey with a 350 Cat pullin a Jeep only averages 5.9 per the dash computer.
How can I improve this?
I also don't think it has the power it should.
Where do I start?
My understanding is that the mpg computer on the prior dash gagues manufactured before 2006 are not resettable. Therefore you get the (dis)advantage of all the early poor mileage on the coach still in your mpg calculations today. I'm sure you are getting better mileage today. Call 1-800-FTL-HELP and give them the last 6 digits of your VIN. They can verify the computer reset capability.

You might want to stop by a CAT shop to see if you have the latest engine firmware. I think there is a reflash made available since your coach was manufactured, which may affect your engine performance, acceleration, etc. Freightliner can tell you if/when the flash update was made available based on when your engine was manufactured.

I have the latest mpg computer from FL and it is resettable. I am now averaging about 8 mpg with 16K miles. I'll do the valve adjustment after 30K miles. They do get better mileage with age.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #18

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethM View Post
Kirstcc, do you know the maintenance history since new and has the the engine had the valve adjustment maintenance done? "Run the Top" maintenance does a number of things to the CAT and one indicator of needing it is lower milage but if it has been done many things can cause that low milage.

Ken- No I don't know the maintenance record.
It has 27K miles on it now. I will research that Thank you. I am due for an oil change and the air filter is getting close. about 80%. But I think it should still get better than 5.9.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
How fast do you drive? My 3126 gives me 10 at 60 to 63MPH. How clean is your air filter?

Dan- I do drive a little faster than most but I try and leave my foot out of it on the climbs and coast on the down hills. Filter is getting close.

Pusherman- you are correct, I cannot reset my computer however it has a instant mileage mode and I catch myself staring at it. 2 mpg up large grades and 200 mpg down hills. but on a flat run and a constant speed I'm never near 10 mpg. I will check on a reflash. That would be great. Thanks for the info.

BBop- I will check it manually and find out forsure. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #20

I just drove my 06 discovery with a c7 330hp from new jersey to florida cruised @ 65 on cruise control and I got 7.6mpg and that is a real number because I made the calculations my self with paper and pen, and all the water tanks empty, the drive was all pretty flat no mager hills.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
7.5 That's pretty much what I get with a 2006 C7 having only 14,000 miles on it.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #22

just drove 1100 miles from florida to new jersey and i got 8.2mpg cruising betwen 63 65mph on cruise control and i got 26000 miles on my c7.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #23

You folks are making me feel better, C-9 Cat 400 HP consistant at 6.8 to 7.3 Has anyone had any experence with the Pittsburgh Power Box Computer application for Cat engines.......
deltastar459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #24

I dont know if you are talking about the same thing I got from brazels rv performance but you are talking about that It Is great the power diference is unbellivable and the fuel miles Is a bit better, I love It Joe.