Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
C7 Questions

I bought a 2007 Cat C7 powered RV last year. Just tried towing my 5000 pound Jeep for the first time, and mileage dropped from 8.5MPG average to 6.5MPG average. Also planning a multi-month trip later this year. So my questions:

1. Is there any value in taking my RV to a Cat dealer to have them scan for codes, and to check that every cylinder is producing power? How much might that cost?
  2. There is an oil leak somewhere near the HEUI pump. It has apparently been leaking for quite a while and the oil/dirt is quite thick in that area. It does not leak enough to end up on the ground, just on the engine. Is this something I should worry about?
Thank you for your time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
First what speed?
At Camp Freightliner (Mike Cody) stated the sweet spot is 1620 to 1670 RPM.

As for leak, especially near the HEUI, yes, get it check and repair.

Last Oil is (IMO) the most important thing for a CAT.
Per Cat on Oil Change
11,000 miles, 1 year OR 1000 gallons of fuel burned. IMO this is non-negotiable.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
I bought a 2007 Cat C7 powered RV last year. Just tried towing my 5000 pound Jeep for the first time, and mileage dropped from 8.5MPG average to 6.5MPG average. Also planning a multi-month trip later this year. So my questions:

1. Is there any value in taking my RV to a Cat dealer to have them scan for codes, and to check that every cylinder is producing power? How much might that cost?
  2. There is an oil leak somewhere near the HEUI pump. It has apparently been leaking for quite a while and the oil/dirt is quite thick in that area. It does not leak enough to end up on the ground, just on the engine. Is this something I should worry about?
Thank you for your time.
Well Sir,
First off, if you're actually getting 8.5 mpg on a regular basis, that's darn good in my opinion. Most of us C-7 pilots hover between 6.5 and 7.5 no matter WHAT we're towing or not towing. These rolling gymnasiums are not designed to get wazoo mileage. We've owned our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Allison MH3000 trans now for right at 8 years. We purchased it with 40K on the clock and it now has 91K on it.

That C-7 rarely get's over 7 - 7.2 mpg, period. We tow two different toads. One, a 2015 Jeep JKUR with minor mods, bumpers, tires and wheels etc. And, our second toad is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended cab. The truck quite often is loaded with a Rampage lift and, an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. The truck is right at 5,300 lbs, the Rampage, close to 275 lbs and the Wing, just close to 900 lbs. So, all in all, when the truck and Wing are being dragged behind us, we're toting around 6,700 lbs, plus or minus.

And, with that load, we hover around 6 - 6.5 or so. And often lower, depending on grades encountered. It is what it is. I didn't buy it for gas mileage. As for yours, well, again, if you get 8.5 AT ANY TIME, that's phenomenal in my book. As for your leak, well, if it were me, I'd do whatever it takes to CLEAN that engine thoroughly so that you can ACTUALLY SEE where that oil leak is emanating from. Trying to surmise on a dirty engine is useless. Yeah, cleaning an engine in that kind of engine compartment, bedroom, precious stuff around, kind-a tough to do. But, this way you'll know EXACTLY where it's coming from and, maybe how to remedy it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My MPG average for the last 70,000 miles, almost all pulling a Honda CRV, is 8.0. This is on trips from one side of the country to the other, both southern and northern routes. Dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

We have traveled 109,000+ miles and consistent average per tank of fuel is 6.7mpg towing a Chevrolet Equinox or not towing.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #6

The mileage one achieves is greatly influence by the speed and other conditions of the trip: the faster and the steeper the traveling, the less the mileage. Of course, there are a lot of other things involved, including the weight and shape of the vehicle and efficiency of the engine.

Sometimes it's hard to compare mileage because of all the variables.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post

Thank you for your time.
I think there is value in taking it to a CAT dealer. Cost all depends on the labor time. Not much to scanning for codes. However if you want to check for loss of power that can be a host of things. Last year, I had the Heui and all injectors replaced. I would say get oil leak fixed right away. My leak turned into a much bigger leak. Oil was spewing out of the radiator. Thought it was related to overfill. Had to have gaskets replaced and radiator taken out and cleaned. Engine had to be dropped to install new kit. My scenario was not cheap.

Hope your issue is a simple fix.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My C7 gets in the low 8's towing a 4300 pound 2-dr S-10 Blazer with a 28,000 40' DP.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote