RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Slow news day guys, The new hose clamps were delivered today and all looks good.

Freightliner/Cat parts guy let me know that most of my parts list will have to be shipped from other locations. All parts should be here by end of next week.

I am not going to replace the HEUI pump or add the new filter dedicated to that pump.

I will change my oil at 4 to 5 k miles along with the fuel filters. I believe a lot of HEUI pump replacements might have not been necessary, weak trouble shooting.

How can a Cat c7 engine sitting in a pump house or turning some equipment somewhere with very little maintenance or concern and it runs for many thousand hours.

Put that same engine in a motohome and it cant go 1,000 hours without major problems.

So I do not plan on changing the water pump or HEUI pump........don't laugh if I lose the one pump on my way to the next destination and lose the other pump on my way home. Just typing that makes me sick.

I posted pics of the water pump belt idler pulley it takes one bearing, and the serpentine belt idler pulley and auto tensioner take 2 bearings each. Your bearing # might be different then mine # is on the bearing itself.

1 raptor I sent you a couple of PMs

Thanks guys Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00355.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	199797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00356.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	199798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00357.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	199799  
__________________

the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Here is everything you need to make the non-greaseable fan hub bearing a greaseable one. Joe


CAT C7 FAN BEARING REPLACEMENT - Engines - FMCA Motorhome Forums
__________________

the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sights View Post
Slow news day guys, The new hose clamps were delivered today and all looks good.

Freightliner/Cat parts guy let me know that most of my parts list will have to be shipped from other locations. All parts should be here by end of next week.

I am not going to replace the HEUI pump or add the new filter dedicated to that pump.

I will change my oil at 4 to 5 k miles along with the fuel filters. I believe a lot of HEUI pump replacements might have not been necessary, weak trouble shooting.

How can a Cat c7 engine sitting in a pump house or turning some equipment somewhere with very little maintenance or concern and it runs for many thousand hours.

Put that same engine in a motohome and it cant go 1,000 hours without major problems.

So I do not plan on changing the water pump or HEUI pump........don't laugh if I lose the one pump on my way to the next destination and lose the other pump on my way home. Just typing that makes me sick.

I posted pics of the water pump belt idler pulley it takes one bearing, and the serpentine belt idler pulley and auto tensioner take 2 bearings each. Your bearing # might be different then mine # is on the bearing itself.

1 raptor I sent you a couple of PMs

Thanks guys Joe
Joe,
This will be interesting when you press that water pump tensioner. I tried using a 6" vice and a couple of sockets but, apparently my method was not sufficient enough to break the bond of that bearing, and the internal bore of the pulley. And I put some serious pressure on that bearing. NO GO! So, its in there and running right now. I hope you definitely have better success at that bearing change.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 358
Scott , im curious , did you soak it maybe in ospho or similar , and then try heat to the pulley itself ?
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Scott , im curious , did you soak it maybe in ospho or similar , and then try heat to the pulley itself ?
Hey good afternoon Journey cat,
Well, nope, no soaking in anything. I've never really had any luck with any form of a "penetrating oil" or any chemical mix of ingredients that form any sort of penetrating oil. I have luck with heat, once in a while. But, I didn't want to do any damage to the bearing or the pulley if, I couldn't get it out. A new water pump tensioner hovers anywhere from about $90 to $120. Yeah, I could have just bought a new one and be done with it but, to me, it was/is the same exact thing as the idler and tensioner for the serpentine belt. Both of those were in flawless condition so, I just replaced the bearings.

Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Olympic Peninsula
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sights View Post
I posted pics of the water pump belt idler pulley it takes one bearing, and the serpentine belt idler pulley and auto tensioner take 2 bearings each. Your bearing # might be different then mine # is on the bearing itself.
Thanks guys Joe
I put new bearings in my water pump tensioner pully a couple years back...I remember there being two bearings in that little sucker. Not saying the one bearing you have won’t work, it will if it is twice as wide as the ones Cat sold me.
Oh...and if you try and press those bearings out yourself make sure you remove the snap ring first. Mine was covered with gunk and I almost missed it.
__________________
I'm Jammin
02 Itasca Horizon 36LD, Cat 3126E, Allison MD3000MH
09 Colorado Z71 Ex Cab, SMI AF1, Demco Stuff
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
rver98's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 509
If I would of logged on to your post earlier, I would of recommended moving your secondary fuel filter(2 micron) to the rear next to your W/S.

good luck
__________________
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH Cat 350+ ScanGuage D
MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter, Koni FSD, MCU's, Reflex SS, Ready Brake Elite, Ford F150 4x4 EcoBoost
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey good afternoon Journey cat,
Well, nope, no soaking in anything. I've never really had any luck with any form of a "penetrating oil" or any chemical mix of ingredients that form any sort of penetrating oil. I have luck with heat, once in a while. But, I didn't want to do any damage to the bearing or the pulley if, I couldn't get it out. A new water pump tensioner hovers anywhere from about $90 to $120. Yeah, I could have just bought a new one and be done with it but, to me, it was/is the same exact thing as the idler and tensioner for the serpentine belt. Both of those were in flawless condition so, I just replaced the bearings.

Scott
And a good evening to you also is that pully we speak of stamped steel or a cact type . I always keep a gallon of Ospho on hand . Im always soaking things in it with no ill efects . It works wonders on rust
I just got my coach back a few days ago . With summer on the horizon and heat rising here in Fl .
I guess I'll put a hold on my R& R till the fall as there are other things to attend to before I head west .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #37
Cat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 981
You might want to inspect the HEUI pump. It depends the style HEUI pump you have. You didn't say what your serial number is. If you have a round headed HEUI pump you can't do this inspection but that's good news the round headed pump had very few failures. This inspection is for the rectangle headed pump. Since you have good access or at least fairly good access with the radiator and aftercooler out. It is a very easy inspection. Make sure the area around the pump head is clean as well as the pump head. Remove the hose that comes off the head and cover it to keep clean. Remove the torex screws in the head and rotate the head. There is no pressure, springs or valves. You just need to rotate the head not remove it. Just don't damage the seal or seal area. You will need to suck out about a cup of oil out of the area under the head. Then look at the electric coil and see if there is any metal stuck to the edges of it. If there is you have a pump beginning to fail. Then just reinstall.
Unfortunately HEUI pump was a problem in the heavy equipment side also. Using clean oil and CAT filters does help prevent failures but it will not eliminate failures. My HEUI failed at 12000 miles and the oil was CAT oil and filters and had been changed 3 times.
Anyway its up to you if want to check it. I'll attach some pictures. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEUI.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	199943   Click image for larger version

Name:	HEUI pump inspection.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	199944  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HEUI pump coil.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	199945  
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
You might want to inspect the HEUI pump. It depends the style HEUI pump you have. You didn't say what your serial number is. If you have a round headed HEUI pump you can't do this inspection but that's good news the round headed pump had very few failures. This inspection is for the rectangle headed pump. Since you have good access or at least fairly good access with the radiator and aftercooler out. It is a very easy inspection. Make sure the area around the pump head is clean as well as the pump head. Remove the hose that comes off the head and cover it to keep clean. Remove the torex screws in the head and rotate the head. There is no pressure, springs or valves. You just need to rotate the head not remove it. Just don't damage the seal or seal area. You will need to suck out about a cup of oil out of the area under the head. Then look at the electric coil and see if there is any metal stuck to the edges of it. If there is you have a pump beginning to fail. Then just reinstall.
Unfortunately HEUI pump was a problem in the heavy equipment side also. Using clean oil and CAT filters does help prevent failures but it will not eliminate failures. My HEUI failed at 12000 miles and the oil was CAT oil and filters and had been changed 3 times.
Anyway its up to you if want to check it. I'll attach some pictures. Hope it helps.
What are you calling the head? Any chance you have a picture showing the rounded head vs non heui pump?
1raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 143
CAT, Thanks for your input on the HEUI pump. I wish you were in my backyard. I am not sure what pump I have eng # WAX 12981. I have attached a pic of the pump.

Ever if it is the one I can check I don't know if I have the guts to do it. I am in no way a Cat tech or truck mechanic just a guy trying to better our motorhome.

I took a better look at the water pump and yes it has some side to side play so out it goes. 6 years ago when it was 6 years old I flushed and changed over the cooling system to Cat ELC along with the regulators being replaced. I will replace them again.

Back to the water pump do I get the Cat reman one at my dealer for $244 with core back or do i look for a new Cat pump? What do you think of this? Going to call some pump repair places with 25 or more years doing this stuff and ask if the pump can be rebuild to have a longer life span then new?

rver98 I find changing out the fuel filter from inside the bedroom not to be a big inconvenience, Thanks

Think of this if our Cat and Cummins engines were as trouble free as the allison transmissions are well just think about that....

Thanks for looking, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00361 (1).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	200008   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00362.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	200017  

the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #40
Cat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 981
WAX has the rectangle head. In your picture the wires go in to the top center of the pump/ head rectangle. You can see the screws that hold the top or head of the pump in your pictures. I probably should say 'top' of the pump. The most difficult would be unhooking the line from the top of the pump. But if you get take the line off (If you have a steel tube its easy, if you have a hose it takes a special quick disconnect tool --not expensive) . The removal of the screws and rotating the top is as simple as it sounds. Just have to keep it clean. The only reason you cant remove the 'top' is because the wires go down to the solenoid you see in the picture.
But I also understand your reluctance in doing it. But since you had that kind of access I thought I would mention it. It is a good indicator if there are problems on the horizon. But don't do something you're not totally comfortable doing
I'll see if I can find a picture of the round top style HEUI.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #41
Cat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 981
Round top style HEUI pump. Very few problems with pump, some problems with solenoid spool getting oil sluged and sticking, remove spool clean reinstall took care of most problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Round HEUI.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	200029  
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #42
Cat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 981
Forgot to answer exchange water pump question. I think the exchange water pump is good.
__________________

Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maintenance, removal, radiator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiator and CAC cleaning SeattlePirat Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 77 12-16-2016 12:26 PM
C7 Radiator/CAC Removal Gadget Man Caterpillar Engine Forum 11 07-28-2016 04:25 PM
Dynasty radiator and CAC questions. Hartman2112 Monaco Owner's Forum 8 06-28-2016 09:02 PM
99 Monaco Windsor side radiator CAC removal Krutzmart MH-General Discussions & Problems 63 05-23-2016 08:30 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×