Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

C9 oil pressure

Started my c9 on a cold morning in Breckinridge CO a week ago, and the check engine alarm went off. Looked at the gauges and there was no oil pressure, I guess the pump didn't kick in. I turned off the engine and then tried starting it again, watching the oil pressure gauge. This time the the gauge went up.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

I've heard about slow oil pressure build up in cold weather; usually -20 or so; fresh 15/40 oil should be ok down to that temp.Consistant low temps and you need lighter oil. How long did the engine run before the alarm went off ? Pump is all gear driven, but cold oil may have forced the pump pressure by-pass open and held it until you shut down. This may never happen again , but it is something to watch for on cold start up.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #3

I'm curious to know the outside temp and did you use your block heater. Cat's (or any diesel)do not like cool weather start ups.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

not supposed to start if no oil pressure. Lost my oil pressure going down the road but still kept running an Cat replaced the oil sending unit no problems now
bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

The outside temp was on the low 40's. I didn't have the block heater on. The engine idled rough with lots of smoke. As soon as a realized the gauge showed zero pressure I shut it down. Maybe it was the pressure by/pass valve. I will start using my block heater in cool temps and see if that stops it.
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

I bet the smoke was white, grey, this is unburnt fuel! Smell of your oil dipstick, if the raw fuel went past the rings on the pistons, you have diesel fuel in the oil. This is typical in cold starts on a large diesel. 50 degrees is my temp that I turn on my block heater the day before I intend to crank the engine. That's MY rule for me. Owning Tracter and trailers taught me this the hard way.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote