Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

c9 won't regen

I have a c9 that won't regen and cat can't seem to fix it. they have replaced ard head,cleaned combustion chamber.I drove it 800 miles,and it failed again,this is third time in less than a year.I have read several articles about this problem,but no one has an answer.It is costing us a lot of time and money,not to mention the stress of driving with the check engine lite on half the time.
easymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

That really sucks, I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Wish I knew enough about the system to help you.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Have you considered removal of the DPF?
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Just wondering,
I was under the impression that CAT pulled out of the market in the "Over the road" engine production prior to the stepped up Smog rules. I don't follow all the details of such matters but, again, this is what I thought. So, CAT must have at least made some sort of attempt at this before bailing out, correct?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Just wondering,
I was under the impression that CAT pulled out of the market in the "Over the road" engine production prior to the stepped up Smog rules. I don't follow all the details of such matters but, again, this is what I thought. So, CAT must have at least made some sort of attempt at this before bailing out, correct?
Scott
I agree with you when I retired in 09 from Cat; Caterpillar was leaving the on-highway market. They did return late but that was for commercial vehicles such as dump trucks and cement mixers. I did not think they offered motor home engines. DPF equipped engines for non-commercial use such as track type machines and wheel loaders were scheduled for 2010 production and beyond.

Easymark; what year is your Cat C9 engine? Are you dealing with the dealer or with the Cat factory service engineer at the plant? Most issues with regening are cause by a sensor failure and/or incorrect fuel, such as LSD diesel fuel bought in Mexico.

Jim W.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
easymark, I'm not sure if this is happening to you, but I'm having the same issue where the Cat C9 won't Regenerate. My brake switch had to be replaced. The regeneration process won't take place if the brake is activated. The bad switch for my rig was enough to stop the regeneration process but not enough to activate the brake lights all the time. Just food for thought. Good luck
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote