Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Cat 3126 Drain Plug

Going through my first oil change on this new-to-me 2000 Itasca Horizon with 300hp Cat. When I removed the drain plug, I was surprised that there wasn't any sort of sealing washer under it. Is this correct? I'm tempted to run to NAPA in the morning and pick up a 3/4" copper washer. Prob'ly should have gone ahead and bought a Fumoto valve....
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Well,
Since my memories down the tubes anyways, I can't tell you if mine has one or not. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If I recall, (that's hard to do for me) I don't remember any being on that plug. Ours is the C-7 version of your engine and, to date, it'st not leaked any oil out of that plug since we purchased the coach, over 5 years ago and, about 30,000 miles that we've put on it.

As for the fumoto valve, well, that's certainly up to you. I suppose they have their advantages. I guess I just never saw the value in it and, one thing I've always thought about is, there's always stuff out there on the road that's kicked up by the turbulance of these monster machines as they travel down the road. I know the chances would be really rare but, I'd sure hate for something to potentially get caught on the handle of that valve and open things up. Not good.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Since my memories down the tubes anyways, I can't tell you if mine has one or not. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If I recall, (that's hard to do for me) I don't remember any being on that plug. Ours is the C-7 version of your engine and, to date, it'st not leaked any oil out of that plug since we purchased the coach, over 5 years ago and, about 30,000 miles that we've put on it.

As for the fumoto valve, well, that's certainly up to you. I suppose they have their advantages. I guess I just never saw the value in it and, one thing I've always thought about is, there's always stuff out there on the road that's kicked up by the turbulance of these monster machines as they travel down the road. I know the chances would be really rare but, I'd sure hate for something to potentially get caught on the handle of that valve and open things up. Not good.
Scott
I was typing just about the same thing. Like Scott, I don't remember a washer either. As for the Fumoto valve, I hear there is another brand out there that drains faster, but I retired, so what the heck. I'm in no hurry!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #4

Thanks guys. That makes me feel more comfortable. It certainly wasn't leaking before I removed it.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Installed the fumoto valve since day one (2006). Kept me clean and easy to drain, ran engine. (3126E). As for washer, no.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I also have the Fumoto valve on mine. Haven't had a problem or concern with it but it does drain slower than when you remove a drain plug and that's kind of good. I have less splash also don't worry about misplacing the drain plug or it dropping into the container of used oil.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

My C7 has an o-ring on the stock plug. I have changed it up to an Eco Valve that just has a cap on it so nothing protruding. It uses a copper gasket to seal it.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

https://www.google.com/search?q=info...emco-drain.com I have a 3126 now & have been using Femco from Holland for over 30 years .....Menzel Crane & Transport ( 262 ) 613-2527
https://www.TomMenzel.com ....2002 GMC T-7500 cabover, 3126 E ,Davco fuel heaters 110v & 12v, Allison 2000 series, Two-speed Eaton 4.33 / 5.91 with No-Spin, 255/70 X 22.5 on alum...bought all new, now 13,069 miles...
CAT 3126 E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat