Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Cat 3126b, a/c and fuel mileage

Odd question.

I was told that running the a/c will cost a couple mpgs ...I have also been told that mileage really doesn't vary when hauling unless you go to extremes..

I am happy with my mpg and I am not turning off the a/c... but these two statements contradict each other..and I am a curious type..

I have asked this question in other areas and haven't heard a good explanation.

If weight pulling really doesn't affect mpg then how is a/c compressor drag a factor ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

The question about air using air conditioner versus fuel mileage has been around for the last 60 years! It never seems to die out. But to try and answer your question, I have never seen a credible study where it has been proven to reduce the mileage one iota. Sure many people just know it does, but actual proof is lacking. Sure it cost fuel to drive that air conditioner compressor, but then the windows will be shut increasing the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Some say that their mpg actually increases with air conditioner use.

Fuel mileage is derived by many factors. With my current 330 CAT C7 engine I do not notice any difference in MPG towing vs not towing, probably because I'm not calculating the mpg to enough decimal places. In my previous Cummins 275 HP coach, I did see a 0.5 mpg difference.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm....I think you already know the answer to your question. Using common horse sense, I think they both effect MPG in a small way......but not much under normal circumstances.....and not enough to be concerned about. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I've put over 100K on this RV and tracked every gallon of fuel and mileage, with notes such as ran AC all day or ran generator to run AC, mountains, cross winds, etc. Mileage always varies and I think mostly do to terrain and/or head/cross winds. Not the least bit scientific but that's the way it seems to me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #5

A/C use , what's your comfort worth ?
Automotive a/c compressor , draws about 11 HP when cycling , I can feel it cut in in my mini van , can't in the coach .

Headwind and a heavy foot will do more to MPG that anything else .

Just in case you don't have it , here's what Cat has to say.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_RV_Performance.pdf (246.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A/C use , what's your comfort worth ?
Automotive a/c compressor , draws about 11 HP when cycling , I can feel it cut in in my mini van , can't in the coach .

Headwind and a heavy foot will do more to MPG that anything else .

Just in case you don't have it , here's what Cat has to say.
Hi Skip, thanks for posting that attachment. I found it interesting seeing all the things that affect fuel mileage. Most were common sense but a few were a surprise. Like winter time fuel and the fact new tires are worse on fuel economy than tires 50% worn. A real surprise was the fact new tires are worse on fuel economy than idling an engine 10% of the time! Gee and to think I just got rid of 6 tires that were at their peak of their fuel economy just because they were 11 years old!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Odd question.

I was told that running the a/c will cost a couple mpgs ...I have also been told that mileage really doesn't vary when hauling unless you go to extremes..

I am happy with my mpg and I am not turning off the a/c... but these two statements contradict each other..and I am a curious type..

I have asked this question in other areas and haven't heard a good explanation.

If weight pulling really doesn't affect mpg then how is a/c compressor drag a factor ?
If traveling in Nebraska, then weight pulling costs about 1mpg. In Colorado mountains, 3-4 PMG. Flat requires only rolling friction. Hills cost lifting, not cheap. AC is constant drag when the compressor clutch is engaged. First on, pulls more HP than when compressor is up to speed (very short time, 200ms), but either case requires HP. Pulling and AC are not free....what is?
jtmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel