Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to be clear... when you look at the radiator from the engine side (whether from under the coach or through the hatch inside the coach) what you are seeing is NOT the radiator. That is the CAC (Charge Air Cooler)...the radiator is on the other side of the CAC and can only be seen from the rear of the motor home.

So, it is almost impossible to clean the back side of the CAC and the front side of the radiator as they are back to front and you can't get to them unless you remove both.

Also, cleaning a radiator (or CAC) with a high pressure water unit is not advisable as it will bend the fins, causing more harm than good.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post

Also, cleaning a radiator (or CAC) with a high pressure water unit is not advisable as it will bend the fins, causing more harm than good.

Ron
I called a couple radiator shops before I pressure washed mine. Both told me to keep the nozzle moving and to stay at least one inch from the fins. I took this advice and didn't bend a single fin. So for me, it worked very well. I no longer have overheating issues at all...even in 100+ degree weather...and I didn't spend a fortune having it professionally removed, cleaned and reinstalled.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Radiator cleaning

My 05 Cat had been overfilled many times before I purchased it. I cleaned the radiator using "Dawn Extreme". I put a solution of 1 cup of Dawn and 1 gallon of hot water in my pressure sprayer. Set the nozzel for a heavy stream. With the engine running I sprayed the radiator from underneath.
When solution was used up, I let it sit for about an hour. I repeated this process 4 times. (Amazing what came running our of radiator) Finally used pressure washer carefully to stay straight on to fins. Ran hose for pressure washer from Hot water faucet. I used the light test and 90% of the radiator is clean.
I have since installed the Racor c4501 crankcase filter. The air coming from the breather is now clean and free from oil vapor.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I called a couple radiator shops before I pressure washed mine. Both told me to keep the nozzle moving and to stay at least one inch from the fins. I took this advice and didn't bend a single fin. So for me, it worked very well. I no longer have overheating issues at all...even in 100+ degree weather...and I didn't spend a fortune having it professionally removed, cleaned and reinstalled.
Deucenut,
You have proved my point again that, using a pressure washer on the radiator and the CAC is NOT HARMFULL if, you use just a tad of common sense. There are many on here that believe you'll destroy the radiator etc. if you even think about using a pressure washer.

Well, you, myself and others have proven it just aint so. Now, you do have to be smarter than the fins. That is, take a good, close look and feel them to see just how strong they are. You'll find that the fins in those radiators are seriously stronger than the ones in say the side condensers for the basement A/C units. Now those, you can bend if you blow on them with your breath if you're not careful. Glad you got your system at least semi-clean.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Deucenut,
You have proved my point again that, using a pressure washer on the radiator and the CAC is NOT HARMFULL if, you use just a tad of common sense. There are many on here that believe you'll destroy the radiator etc. if you even think about using a pressure washer.

Well, you, myself and others have proven it just aint so. Now, you do have to be smarter than the fins. That is, take a good, close look and feel them to see just how strong they are. You'll find that the fins in those radiators are seriously stronger than the ones in say the side condensers for the basement A/C units. Now those, you can bend if you blow on them with your breath if you're not careful. Glad you got your system at least semi-clean.
Scott
I agree completely. You have to use some common sense and be careful. In my case I didn't use any cleaner or dish detergent etc. Just straight cold water. These rads are pretty tough. But you hit the nail on the head when you said "semi clean". I know the rad isn't as clean as if it had been removed and cleaned in a chemical bath. But in my case, it's good enough to stay cool. It will be part of my spring maintenance...pressure wash the radiator. I did notice some of the paint came off the rad which made me wonder if the paint helped in the cooling process at all? I'm not sure. Maybe someone on here knows. I was just super happy I wasn't out at least $2000 to re and re the rad.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #20

Deucenut,
Well Sir, when I cleaned my radiator and CAC, it WAS out and, laying on some saw horses. I'm the one that pulled both of them. While it was not an easy chore, it wasn't all that bad either. Goofing around, it took me about 6 hours to pull the both of them. Now that I know what's what and, how to do it, I'd say I could do it again in about 2-3 hours. But of course, that would only have to be done if a SERIOUS fix was needed in the front of that engine etc.

But, I used a whole gallon of ZEP citrus based degreaser on the two of them and, it almost was not enough, including the pressure washer, in between sprayings of the cleaner. Man, there is no way on this planet that I'd ever, EVER try and do that from either above, on the side, or under that coach. First off, you'd need to do it in the middle of a field someplace because of all the black goo that would come off and, second, unless you had some sort of HAZ-MAT suit on to protect you from all the back-splash and spray back from either a pressure washer or nozzle tipped garden hose. And third, like you and I have already surmised (and others too) there's simply no way to get to all of the square inches of both of them, while they're in the coach. It's virtually impossible.

I can see that not many would opt for pulling the radiator and CAC to do this job, as stated, it's NOT FUN! But, it's the real and only true way of getting the entire, square inches of both, TOTALLY clean.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Cat 330 HP 2000 Holiday Rambler. I bought a portable steam pressure cleaner, The aircraft version of simple green, and a pressure attachment for garden hose.

Last year I had an Rv shop put an extension on the slobber tube. I first sprayed the front of radiator with simple green. I then slowly went inch by inch with the steam after which I sprayed with the pressure hose attachment. I repeated it and finally got all water draining out to be clear. That was the easy part, but I'm on oxygen 24/7 so I decided to tackle the other side the next day.
Next morning I removed all clothing and everything from closet including doors. After close inspection I could see the lower 1/3 of the CAC was the dirtiest plugged up part. I sprayed everywhere but did the bottom part 3 times. I had to slowly move fan a little, spray, move fan a little and repeat. I did spend more time on the bottom, and next year I will cut an access hole in the top of the shroud.
After this I can probably clean it pretty easy every year. The slobber tube extension will prevent the build up.
Here is the steam cleaner I bought..
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-106...CID=shopping15
Before, I could see the needle move up towards hot on gradual grades in Ohio. This year I took I-40 from Oklahoma to Flagstaff, then I-17 to I-10 to Tucson. The needle barely moved. If I can do this, anyone can!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Is This the Slobber Tube?

After having my CAC and radiator changed out last fall I was very interested in keeping oily mist off the new ones. The peanut butter jar fix described in other iRV2 forums seemed like a good idea, so I crawled under the coach today to look for the slobber tube. I think I found it, but I'm not sure. I also think I've found out that the "peanut butter jar" modification has already been done. I've attached a picture of what I found. If someone can verify that I'm looking at the slobber tube and filter jar I'll take it apart, clean it and make sure it has steel wool to trap the droplets.

Thanks as always. I don't know what I would do without the iRV2 community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlobberTubeMaybe.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	88153  
Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #23

That sure looks like your slobber tube with a container on it. It also looks like it had not been emptied for a while. Something else that has been done is extend the tube so it is farther from the radiator.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Slobber Tube Catchment

I cut the jar off, and it was indeed the slobber tube catchment. It was half full of oil, and looked like it was about a 10 or 12 ounce container. It had no lid, but did have steel wool in the bottom half. It was held on by a tie wrap running through two holes in the container, about an inch from the top.

I'm thinking I will get a bigger container, maybe 24 - 32 ounce, and use the lid with holes drilled in it for air to escape as well as a big one for the slobber tube to enter. I'm thinking that the steel wool should go all the way to the top, and that the slobber tube should go about halfway down the depth of the container. Does that sound right?

I was also thinking of hanging it by tie wraps through the lid instead of by holes drilled into the side of the container. That would make it easier to remove for cleaning and repacking in future years. Sound reasonable?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #25

As posted by lwasouth, if you want to keep your radiator clean and no oil on toad install on of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Racor-ccv4500-.../dp/B00EPFCEWS
Lot of guys that have the Ford 6.0 have these because Ford runs the motor vapors back through the turbo in time the hot side of the turbo will be dripping with oil and rot out the boots.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
New Filter

For a few bucks I made a new oil trap from a 24 ounce plastic mug that I bought at Walmart. The attraction was that it didn't taper at the top, making the final assembly easier. I'll try it on the trip home from Florida. If I still get an oily toad I will go the Racor route (and will post it here).

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am considering an oil/air separator from JEGS. While my slobber tube is below the radiator already, it does get some on the towed. JEGS Performance Products 52205, JEGS Air Oil Separator | JEGS Performance Products
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I am considering an oil/air separator from JEGS. While my slobber tube is below the radiator already, it does get some on the towed. JEGS Performance Products 52205, JEGS Air Oil Separator | JEGS Performance Products
I have used this type of separator in the past on high performance cars. In my opinion this item is too small for the job and likely cause a back up in the system.

This is more like what you would need for the system. Moroso 85466, Moroso Oil Breather Tank | Moroso

Tags
cat, radiator