Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you had this problem
Yes 1 50.00%
Solved problem 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Question Cat C7 2004 Inital delay on acceleration

Just bought DP with cat C7 330hp with 9k miles. On inital start up I let the engine warm up a least 10 min. until the temp gauge gets to 1/3 temp, thats has high as it gets on warm up, running temp it about 1/2 gauge. After inital start up and leaving the storage yard the DP has a inital (from standing start is when i have the loss of power) loss of power for anywhere from 3 to 20 seconds on very little power and then the enging takes off wiltl full power, no problem when driving in traffic or freeway, just on loss of power from standing start. The problems seem to go away after the enging has run a while and is at normal running tempure. Have had a new fuel & air filter installed by Holt of Sacramento, they ran a computer check which came back with a code of "loss of power" but could not tell me the problem unless they did more work on the engine. No problems on hwy or freeway speeds with power or anything else. A cat machanic said maybe Wastegate solenoid or do a wastegate test for a problem with a cold enginge loss of power problem. Help? Will update when problem is solved.
dmb1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Have the foot feed sensor checked.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I can't vote on your poll but I have a 2004 with the CAT C-7 and have not experienced that problem. Probably doesn't matter but I don't wait near as long as ten minutes before moving out with the RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had a similar problem on my 06 C7, had computer reprogramed with latest update , problem solved
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
DMB1950,I have been out of pocket for two months, and just read your post. In May of 2010 we bought ours with 9300 mi. on it in AZ. Drove it home to N. CAL w/o any issues and wasn't till February of 2011 we had the EXACT same scenario you did with the fuel problem. We were on a long trip to OK and back (twice) from AZ and the problem finally resolved itself. I attribute it to the fact that this coach, being an 04, did a lot of sitting, I mean that is only an average of 1328 mi. per year(build date of (Nov 03). I think I had some OLD fuel and I changed the fuel filters more often than necessary along with running a lot of fresh fuel and I don't have that problem anymore. I think it will resolve itself, but I would think you need to drive it a lot for a while and keep fresh fuel in it. We have put 31K miles on it since we bought it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
As a thought if it is fuel related a fuel additive might help.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Smile Problem Solved

Update on Cat 7 - Talked to first owner ( I am second owner) and he bought DP new in 2004 and after 5k miles and 3 years it gave him the same problem, was out of warrenty and did not have money to fix it.
Just bought DP in Dec 2012, DP had 8900 miles and the above problem.
Took DP to cert. Cat repair, they spent 10 hours doing every test mentioned above and alot more and nothiing showed up, Cat teck divisioon said put in new injectors and pump, Ext. Service Contract people went along after the dealer I bought unit from phoned them.
Repair shop installed all new injectors and pump and new flash for updated injectors ( has I understand it C7 had new model injectors installed a year or two after first units came out, just got back from 1900 mile trip to Utah and not one problem. The C7 did have the lastest flash before the new injectors were installed, but updated with newer injectors. All tests showed no problem and no dash lights before new injectors and pump install. Mileage before injectors was about 6 mpg and now 8 mpg.
dmb1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat