Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
A lot of our driving was done in Mexico where there is no ULSD and I'm told the cetane content of fuel is higher. Wonder if that could have made the difference ?
Maybe, I have had consistent luck buying Diesel at Valero or Loves in that order, same with my Kenworth, JMO
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #30

My rig is parked until April. My latest MPG was 8.3 which is still higher than my normal 7.5. I did not look at the bio diesel content at my last fuel stop. It was so crowded that I just forgot to look.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #31

Weighing in with a 300HP Cummins in a 26,000 lb MH. At 62, 9.6MPG At 65, 9.1MPG

Tail or head winds affect up to .5 MPG either way. Oddly, mountain driving doesn't affect mileage as much as I thought it would.

Our bus only has 13,000 miles on it, so the engine is basically still new. These results are from 4 trips totaling 5,000 miles, with two of them including trips to Asheville, eastern mountain driving.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:31 PM   #32

I was hoping for news of some "new or special" piece of equipment other than a lighter foot on the pedal. In my experience 60 t0 65 mph is the only consistent way to increase mpg. Also makes the trip less stressful.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nope nouthing has changed since 2014 when this was started. For best milage slow down and keep your weight down as much as you can. I also add Diesel Kleen to make shure the fuel system stayes clean.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,

All I can say is, I'm glad some of you get that kind of mileage. We've had our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, for about 3.5 years now. We've been on several trips with it, towing at least three different toads. We got back from our last trip a couple of months ago. That trip, right at 3995 miles, started from our home in Lake Havasu City AZ and, went through several states, to our farthest point NE which was the GNR at Forest City IA. From there, we meandered back home, through a few northern states, headed south and finally back into AZ.

Our truck, weighs exactly 5,300 lbs. I know 'cause I weighed it, right when we bought it. Now, on that trip, as in every trip, I typically hold that throttle and speedo to about 62 mph. That CAT seems to purr along without any "over reving" or, under reving at that speed. Now, my instant MPG on both my Medallion and my Trip-Tek several times, told me 8.0 - 8.5 for many, many miles at a time.

You see, as many of you know, there's a ton of FLAT ROADS in much of those states. But, when the DW totaled fuel bills at the end, after we arrived back home, she came up with just over $2,000.00 on diesel and, that entailed 525 gallons of Diesel. When we divided the mileage by the fuel used, it came out to, 7.6 mpg.

So, folks, it appears that we're simply not destined to have some of the mileage many of you have had the pleasure of. I keep my tires on the coach right at the limits of the Michelin tire chart specs for our rig/axle weight and tire size. I keep the toads tires at 50 lbs. which, is 5 lbs. higher than the max for the tire size and type on our truck.

One thing too, our rig, is incredibly hard to "top off", on either side of the rig. I burps and burps and burps etc. for time and time again. I have to hold the fuel nozzle just right, much of the time for even a semi-normal fuel flow to enter the tank. Once it gets close, as in around 10-15 gallons from topping off, it does the burp thing so many times that I just give up.

When that happens, it's really hard to do a quality, accurate fuel mileage test. Many times, I cannot seem to put the fuel to the level, at same place, every time.

So, it gets what it gets. Whatever it is. I know it's at least 7 so, I guess that's about it. Oh well, I didn't buy it for gas mileage.
Scott
Someone told me to turn the gas nozzle upside-down and when my friend tried it, it no longer burped.

Tags
cat