Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
CAT C7 scangauge code 164

I am getting an occasional code on my Scangauge D along with a check engine light. The read out is ID 164, FM 2; & CNT 4. A call to scangauge tells me the 164 is possible injector problem, FM 2 means not verified (or similar phrase) and CNT is apparently a count. So this morning I start it up to move it and notice the check engine light again so check the scangauge code. I shut it down and restart and do not get a code. Nearest CAT dealer is over 80 miles and I'll call them Monday to see what they suggest but in the meantime I'm wondering if any of you have experienced that code and if so the results?

This has happened a couple of times the past few weeks. Seems to run good, etc. but am planning a trip the first week of October and would rather resolve the issue before hitting the road. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Couple of possibilities:
Dirty oil, causing the Injector Actuator Sensor / Valve to act up
Another is a erratic Injector Actuator Sensor
Both can cause an erratic service engine light.
If you are handy you can:
1) change oil
2) replace the sensor yourself - cost with O'ring is about $150
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions - I changed the oil & filter and the fuel filter a month ago and have put about 900 miles on the engine since then. I'll look up information about the Injector Actuator Sensor. Also I'll disconnect the MP-8 that has alerted a couple of times at the top of a grade when shifting down. I turned if turned pretty low but it might be part of the problem?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
One more word, I worked on a rig that had a similar problem. Rig was taken to a CAT shop. After everything was said and done and no-one could come up with anything. The young man asked if anything had been done prior, to the problem occurring, yes oil changed less then 1000 miles, this was a long shot, changed the oil and no problem since.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
A follow up. I took the RV to Peterson CAT in Medford this morning. They hooked up the laptop computer and came up with the same code indicating injector sensor was or could be the problem. I bought the sensor from them $131 and coins. I installed it this afternoon and ran it a couple of times and have not had the check engine code as I did before. As a side note when I started it this morning to take it to Peterson CAT the check engine light and engine protect lights came on but it seemed to run OK. It would throttle up and did not appear to be depowered. After restarting the third time after waiting five minutes or so no lights came on so I drove it to town. Hopefully this resolves the issue but if not I'll let you know. We have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks and that will be the real test. I do need to give a plug for Peterson CAT - they did not charge me for the testing which took maybe a half hour or so.

The CAT part number is 224-4536 and the part name is: MX SENSOR GP
Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

Hi
Same thing happened to me with engine lite coming on I have a 2005 330 c7.anyways after a whole year a good tech found out problem.It was the turbo over boosting and the sensor was bad that operates boost pressure.under load driving your boost pressure should not exceed 25 psi and not exceed that possibly a ib or 2 no more.a tech should manually install a pressure guage and also have a laptop hooked up with PROPER PROGRAMING VERY IMPORTANT and also take it up to 70 mph and also lower speeds,IT;S a$150.00 fix 10 minutes to install also make sure your air and fuel filters are good as a precaution.
do this first before replacing expensive parts.
i'm not guessing here all this is fact
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
lacdubonnet Thanks, I'll print this and take it to the CAT shop Monday morning. The sensor they sold me (post 5 above) did not work.

One thing I did not make clear when I described the problem these warning light/codes come on at startup. I turn it off, restart it a second time and may or may not have the warning lights. After two or three tries it starts without the warning lights coming on and it seems to run great.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

that's interesting,at start up it still could be overboosting,mine only came on under way,anyways takes minutes to check your boost pressure and again should not exceed 25 psi

I've put on a 1000 miles since I fixed it and no problem and maybe yours has a different problem let me know how you made out.

good luck

chip Winnipeg manitoba
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ok, this is the final follow up on this one I hope. Peterson Cat replaced the HEUI pump. After several hours of diagnositcs (well not several but it seemed like it) the short version is the HEUI pump pressures were wrong and not consistant. The cost for the pump including O rings, shop towels, enviromental fee, etc was $1260.95, labor was $721, total $1981.95. They found no traces of metal so didn't need to be concerned with injecctors./
Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

This sounds exactly like my problem and solution and the price was about the same, except for a Freightliner shop first thinking it was a sensor and charging 800 for the diagnosis and replacement of the sensor. Second Freightliner shop replaced the HEUI pump and problem appears to have been resolved. No metal in ours as well.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Firedoc, As I mentioned in post 5 Peterson CAT originally diagnosed a bad sensor and sold me the sensor but did not charge for the technician computer time. This afternoon I pulled the floor up when I got home just to look around and it is obvious they did change the pump. The original one was CAT yellow and this one is not painted. Plus they used wire ties on some dangling wires in that area.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Firedoc, As I mentioned in post 5 Peterson CAT originally diagnosed a bad sensor and sold me the sensor but did not charge for the technician computer time. This afternoon I pulled the floor up when I got home just to look around and it is obvious they did change the pump. The original one was CAT yellow and this one is not painted. Plus they used wire ties on some dangling wires in that area.
Is it fixed, I'm having same issue check engine comes on at start, sometimes just when I turn key on, turn it off and restart and it's fine. I too thought it was my Mp8, but have it turned down/off and it still occurs. Runs fine all the time, will trigger check engine climbing mountain passes. Doesn't do it climbing hill of Kentucky or low elevation. No dash computer codes or faults. Now in Florida on a 5 week trip, worried this is a sign something's on its way out. Again issue doesn't occur every time maybe 1 out of 20 start ups. I have extended warranty that should cover repair but don't want to attempt it on trip.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Sevenmacs, Yes it is fixed. I've driven over 3000 miles since the repair and the problem has not come back.

As a side note the CAT tech said that when the MP8 was connected fuel pressures were sometimes way high. I did return the MP8 back to the dactory and they returned it with a note saying "bad board repaired). The MP8 was returned after the 3000 mile trip and I have not yet put it back in. I'm planning on about 1000 miles over the Thanksgiving holiday and will have the MP8 back in for that trip.

On edit I'll add: I should mention MP-8 was repaired at no cost to me.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I may pull my mp8 off and send it back to be checked. I'll keep my fingers crossed for rest of trip and then take it in at home.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat