Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cat C9 exhaust wrap?

I have a 2008 Cat C9. There is an insulation wrap on the exhaust pipe from the drivers side of the engine to the passengers (where is exits into the DPF unit).

Purpose, necessity and where to get a replacement? The original is a sleeve that went on before assembly. If it need to be there, I would prefer a wrap that can be installed without disassemble.

Thanks in advance.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It helps keep the heat in the pipe instead of the engine compartment. It can be done with fiberglass tape. Here's a link to Fire Up's post about his job.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/ques...ts-226445.html

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Captjake1: I just went through this recently and if you do a search for the following in the Caterpillar Forum you will get the info you are seeking: Question on exhaust pipe components/parts

Trust me you are going to want to remove the section that you want to wrap. Its not that difficult to remove that section of pipe and get a second pair of hands when you reinstall it. Once I got my pipe off it took me about an hour to wrap it.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys! Any recommendation on which wrap? There are several different ones out there. Fiberglass, Silicon, Volcanic...
Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Bought mine on eBay.

4" WIDE FIBERGLASS WRAP EXHAUST PIPE TURBO TAPE CLOTH BLANKET HEADER 50 FT | eBay
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I have a 2008 Cat C9. There is an insulation wrap on the exhaust pipe from the drivers side of the engine to the passengers (where is exits into the DPF unit).

Purpose, necessity and where to get a replacement? The original is a sleeve that went on before assembly. If it need to be there, I would prefer a wrap that can be installed without disassemble.

Thanks in advance.
Captjake1,
Well Sir, as you can see in the linked posts, I'm the one that did the re-wrap of that section of pipe. Now, I'm not sure how your C-9 is laid out in comparison to my C-7 and, that same section of pipe but, I will tell you this, based on what it took to do a nice, clean, tight, efficient job of re-wrapping mine, I WOULD NEVER try and do it on the coach.

Can you do it on the coach, of course you can. But, with a serious amount more complexity. Being able to have access to that section of pipe, 360 degrees around it while you're wrapping it, is a must. And, as you can tell by the pictures, I just used some nice new hose clamps.

And, the one that's displayed in the ebay link, is the same exact one I purchased and used. That same piece of wrap, from Freightliner hovers over $100.00. I've been on a few trips since the re-wrap and, it looks as good right now as it did when I did the job and first installed it. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys! Though I don't want to take it off, it looks like it might be the best course of action for sure.

I was not planning on doing it at all. Twas underneath doing something else when I noticed a big ball of what was left bunched up around one clamp.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, came out really easy. Wrapped t in no time at all. tried to put it back in....I have to find a helper.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Yup, came out really easy. Wrapped t in no time at all. tried to put it back in....I have to find a helper.
Glad things went well in the re-wrap of that pipe. I'm fortunate to have the DW as a "helper" if and when I need her. She's more than willing to help even though sometimes at risk of injury or a scrape here and there.
She was instrumental in helping when I was replacing that pipe.
Scott
Old 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I was actually able to do it all by my lonesome. My DW is not too mechanically inclined...I thought I would give it another shot by myself. I hooked up the outboard end by the muffler first, but left it loose to swivel. The other end was able to be swung into place pretty easy that way.

Had to fab new pipe brace and clamp that were nearly gone.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

Had to fab new pipe brace and clamp that were nearly gone.

My kind-a guy, been there done that, a zillion times.
Scott

Tags
cat