Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #71

Well mine has 190,000 on it and just now having problems. I thought the same tell now. These kind of truck should be good up to 500,000 miles before any major problems.
kdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #72

For everyone's information do not use kenworth in greeley colorado if you need anything fixed on your truck or motorhome. Very bad service and will rip you off.
kdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos
I must say (thank god) my c7 I have 46000miles on it and not a single problem, I don't know what's to come in the future but for now it as been nothing but good to me, it runs very strong and never gets hoter then 190, I hope can stay this way. Joe
You are very fortunate. My C7 hasn't given any major problems, 2 injectors at 30K, water pump belt,serpentine belt, and an idler.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #74

How many miles were on your rig when the fan hub bearing failed ?
timh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #75

My C7 had 19,000 mi. and the sealed fan bearing would just barely turn, just short of seized.
f106pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #76

What were the indications that lead you to know there was a problem with your fan?

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #77

Interesting thread

Have a 2004 c7 in a funmover 39c. 72k on the clock. Only trouble was at 42k the Huei pump failed and sent metal into injectors. All was covered by cat at the time. I've heard the early pumps have a too thin shaft that starts to cavitate and eventually fail. Newer models fixed this after 2005. I asked later if they repaired it with the updated pump or an older. The dealer (different) said looks like old part number went back in. Not a big worry he said, aftermarket has it solved cheaper and more reliable. Was also told one of the contributors is low fuel pressure and a regulator going bad. Fan has been fine truck is fine since repairs. Keep filters clean as that affects pressure into the heui pump.

Been pretty reliable since. Lost a air compressor governor but that was an easy fix for me. Try to do my own maintenance when able, the new diesel stuff is a bit beyond me but learning. Plan to keep the rig a LONG time.

Chuck
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #78

I'm scared............

We signed up to purchase a 07 Providence with a C7 last weekend. Wondering if that is a mistake?

Sounds like ours would have a improved version of the pump? Is there a fan bearing grease fitting on a 07?

If I continue with the purchase, how can I check out the fan bearing? Spin it by hand? What should I find as normal?

Thanks for any data you can provide.

Lloyd
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
We signed up to purchase a 07 Providence with a C7 last weekend. Wondering if that is a mistake?

Sounds like ours would have a improved version of the pump? Is there a fan bearing grease fitting on a 07?

If I continue with the purchase, how can I check out the fan bearing? Spin it by hand? What should I find as normal?

Lloyd
Assuming your chasis is a Freightliner made in Gaffney SC, are you close enough to have them check everything out for you? We have had no problems with our C7.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #80

50 miles

It is, and I live about 50 miles from there

Unfortunatly we only have 5 days to get her ready once we take delivery. We planned this vacation a few months ago, and then got the we need a new camper bug. (new to us)

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It is, and I live about 50 miles from there

Unfortunatly we only have 5 days to get her ready once we take delivery. We planned this vacation a few months ago, and then got the we need a new camper bug. (new to us)

L.
Isn't that the way it works?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Caterpillar C7

OMG I thought I was buying a reliable diesel this sounds as bad as Ford 6.0L diesel. I have just purchased my 04 Meridian 36' with only 36K miles and have driven it about 5K miles. Did not have any issues other than no throttle in high and cold altitude. It will finally accelerate after keeping foot on throttle.

Now after reading the issues with this motor I am ready to get rid of this coach as I don't need a unrelaible motor. I have not seen any info about correcting and or improving the issues.

Let me know if there or any crystal balls out their to correct this beast.
Trinity Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #83

Any big RV is a crap shoot. Read some of the Cummins posts about catastrophic engine failures. They got their share over the years too.

I have not seen any statistics on which engine is best. As noted, forums generally are a poor place to get reliable statistics.

Hope you enjoy your Meridian 36er.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #84

Quote:

Lloyd

Yours should be a sealed bearing they stopped putting the grease able bearings in around 05 due to failures from not been lubed. Grab the fan and check it for play up and down and side to side and that is has some resistance to rotating.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, cat, engine