Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Caterpillar C-7 Diesel Engine

Hello Folks,

I am fishing for some , any information anyone might have about adverse experiences with the Caterpillar C-7 diesel engine. I have a 2005 Gulfstream Crecendo with that engine, an Allison 6 speed, and a Freighliner chassis. According to the freightliner repair shop the Heiu (fuel) Pump failed and distributed metal pieces throughout the rest of the fuel delivery system, destroying all the injectors. Total repairs. 2 days and $7298.87.

My research indicates that Cat has known about this problem for a long time and has failed to take steps to remideate the problem. My unit only has 36,000 miles, seems awfully soon for that type of equipment to fail due to lack of the integrity of the material. At first blush, Caterpillar denies any warranty responsibility due to the age of the coach.

Anybody got any tales to tell ??
Catstorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

CAT & Freightliner are known to use any excuse not to honor the C7 warrenty since they stopped making highway rated motors 3 years ago. The engines produced from 03' to 06' were known to have many issues as CAT changed manufactors that produced many engine parts. 36,000 miles isn't alot of mileage, but CAT & Freightliner don't always go by mileage they go by hours on the engine as well.

if your warrenty was 5/100,000 than it is out of warrenty you may beout of luck. Most likely you will have to pay this out of pocket . You may want to look into finding a good independent shop that works soley on diesels & save some money. You could get a lawyer & sue both CAT & Freightliner. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit yet.
CAT Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Here is some info.. we have our second blown turbo in 2 months and 3,000 miles.
We were told today that the reason Cat does not have any parts for the C7 is they sold that line to a manufacture in Minnesota. Now after 3 weeks of giving us the run around they have the owners of the C7 engine line sending a compatible turbo...
We shall see. So if you did not get an extended warranty, you might be stuck. But there should be someone looking into a class action lawsuit. I think Cat has screwed us all... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Castorman, read my posting "Cat C-7 just quits". It was the HEUI fuel pump which failed at 48,000 miles. I always thought Caterpillar was a reputable company, but they are putting their heads in the sand when it comes to this known problem. Most reputable companies will issue a recall when known defective parts are causing their owners so much grief, whether in warranty or not. It's probably a good thing that CAT got out of the over-the-road engine business for they certainly don't give a rip about their RV customers.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

I was at the Cat dealer (Wagner Rental) in Albquerque, NM, last week and they have three new HEUI pumps for the C7 on the shelf. About $1185 each plus a refundable $550 core deposit. Didn't ask about injectors or labor costs.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The HEUI is not the only problem. The fan bearing is also a bad part. Mine just when out. I was lucky. I heard a bad bearing noise when i was unhooking my toad. I quickly shut down. Started checking around and found my fan so loose i wondered what was holding it in. I was lucky it did not damage my radiator. I will have it towed to a cat shop tomorrow then i will find out what this might cost.
Mind did not have a grease fitting.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Here is some info.. we have our second blown turbo in 2 months and 3,000 miles.
We were told today that the reason Cat does not have any parts for the C7 is they sold that line to a manufacture in Minnesota. Now after 3 weeks of giving us the run around they have the owners of the C7 engine line sending a compatible turbo...
We shall see. So if you did not get an extended warranty, you might be stuck. But there should be someone looking into a class action lawsuit. I think Cat has screwed us all... D
Wonder how many extended warranties would cover the damage the pump caused to the injectors. I figure they will probably cover the pump though. Many times the way the contract is worded they cover the initial failure but not any later damage caused by the covered part.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Wonder how many extended warranties would cover the damage the pump caused to the injectors. I figure they will probably cover the pump though. Many times the way the contract is worded they cover the initial failure but not any later damage caused by the covered part.
Well to let you know mine extended warranty cover the failed part but not the damage it did. Had the fan bearing fail and it messed up the housing it sat in. Warranty covered the bearing but not the housing. Have to find out more about the HEUI and any tell tale sign of it going bad.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I think this problem with the fuel system contributed to Cat's decision to withdraw from the RV market.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Good Thought, Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Yeh, I can hear it now from the Good Scam ESP folks... DENIED
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have to speak up for Good Sam on this one. The pump and six injectors were replaced in May or June of this year. I paid the $500 deductable and some expenses not covered such as disposal of old engine oil. New oil & filter were covered.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #12

We had the fan bearing go out which took out the belt and the radiator. Assurant paid for everything including towing but the $50.00 deductable and the second tow truck that had to get the enclosed trailer we were pulling.

The next trip we lost the ECU. Assurant picked up everything again but the $50.00 deductable.

Tuesday night we were on the interstate everything was fine and then we lost power. Pulled over and the back of the RV and the front of the trailer is covered in oil. The oil was checked before we left home and we had gone 344 miles. Took 4 quartz to get it back to full. Then it would not start. We will call assurant tomorrow and let them know what paperwork will be headed their way!!!
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Anytime I hear loss of power I think turbo... we have had to replace 2 in 3 months and 3000 miles. Just did a short trip 500 miles... This turbo has lasted at least that long.. Keep us updated.... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Anytime I hear loss of power I think turbo... we have had to replace 2 in 3 months and 3000 miles. Just did a short trip 500 miles... This turbo has lasted at least that long.. Keep us updated.... D
Regarding your second turbo, you didn't have to pay for that did you? We just had one put on our 3126 (at 80,000 miles). We used a factory re manufactured part because it had the same warranty from Cat the new part carried - 1 year or 100,000 miles - and was considerably less money?

Tags
diesel, cat, engine