Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

My coolant was replaced when I got the new radiator and installed at Quinn Cat in California. The system was flushed and they installed Cat ECL coolant, 600k miles or 6000 Hrs. It has been 5 years so I pulled a sample and sent it in to Cat and said it was still good no Coolant Extender needed.
http://www.petersoncat.com/sites/all...ded%20Life.pdf
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
The coolant conditioner is a liquid conditioner that is poured into the radiator, it prevents the cylinder liners from cavitating, then burning out, and is checked at each service with a test strip along with the antifreeze
Ummmmmmm, not sure what was in it when I got it, but have purchased a gallon and added some of the recommended CAT stuff and thought that it had all that was needed for the cooling system.
I'd still like some answers to my other questions, if someone would chime in with some idea.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #17

If you purchased your coach with the CAT engine new I am sure you will never need to worry about the conditioner, I was running 125 to 150K miles per year. You guys will never run an RV that far in a life time I don't think.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #18

You can help your engine to not build as much heat by driving it in the peak torque range. 1450-1550 rpms is your peak torque range on the c9. Manually shift the tranny to stay in this range and it should help keep your temp in an acceptable range.
Scoob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

Hot Cat

We had a similar problem that continued to get worse until we took it to CAT, they changed Tstats, but said the real issue was the radiator being full of dirt. They removed the fan shrouds and steam cleaned/pressure washed the radiator and the problem went away. A few years later things were getting warm on the hills again so I cleaned out the radiator, still had the problem and found a plugged air filter. Only two years old and maybe 12k miles but we got into some powdered dirt somewhere and the filter was plugged. Sunday, so we found an air hose and blew the filter out and that got us home without any further problems.
MelCraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob1 View Post
You can help your engine to not build as much heat by driving it in the peak torque range. 1450-1550 rpms is your peak torque range on the c9. Manually shift the tranny to stay in this range and it should help keep your temp in an acceptable range.

NO! NO! NO! Running at that relatively low RPM is a sure-fire way to CAUSE an overheat condition!

You want the engine at its peak HORSEPOWER RPM, not peak torque. That will be up around 2,000 RPM. The higher engine speed will assist in cooling because the water pump is running faster and the engine is not lugging.

It is HORSEPOWER that gets you up the grades, not torque.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I have a Cat 3126B with the 6 speed Allison I have found when towing my car trailer if I have the transmission in "Economy" mode it will overheat but If I leave it in normal mode it is fine. This may not apply to you but just thought I would ad it in case you are running in Economy mode.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, engine, heat, heating