Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Caterpillar C9 ICP O-RING failure

I have a 2006 Revolution with a C9 cat engine. Every three years I have had the O-ring gasket go out on the ICP sensor and of course oil spurts out rapidly. Last year I had three gallons shoot out before I discovered it and shut the engine down. Today I was lucky and caught it before I started our trip. I'm going to the Cat dealer tomorrow to buy a couple more O-rings so I can replace it and have a spare. Cat always claims they have not had any problems with the O-ring failure but this will be the fourth time it has failed. Does anyone else have this problem and/or know how to stop this from occurring?
mocauttx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocauttx50 View Post
I have a 2006 Revolution with a C9 cat engine. Every three years I have had the O-ring gasket go out on the ICP sensor and of course oil spurts out rapidly. Last year I had three gallons shoot out before I discovered it and shut the engine down. Today I was lucky and caught it before I started our trip. I'm going to the Cat dealer tomorrow to buy a couple more O-rings so I can replace it and have a spare. Cat always claims they have not had any problems with the O-ring failure but this will be the fourth time it has failed. Does anyone else have this problem and/or know how to stop this from occurring?
What kind of cold oil pressure do you have at start up. Mine is high so I plug mine in before startup may change to a 10w30 or 5w40 from a 15w40. By plugging it in it will be about 30psi lower from 125 to 95psi still to high
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you using Cat o- rings? Are you torqueing the sensor to specs? That sounds like quite a mess to cleanup.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampers227 View Post
Are you using Cat o- rings? Are you torqueing the sensor to specs? That sounds like quite a mess to cleanup.
Good point in the Cat O rings.

Cat will list a specific O ring for most applications, where a generic one will not work.

Our shop had "O ring" assortments and "Cat O ring " assortments.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #5

The first failure in 2009 revealed that the factory installed a gasket instead of an o-ring. The mechanic that fixed it used a Caterpillar gasket that was supposed to be the part for that sensor. When it failed three years later I went to Caterpillar and they sold me a blue silicone o-ring that was listed as the part needed for that sensor. When I installed it I could see that it was designed for an o-ring and not a gasket. This o-ring just failed after three years and upon startup while the oil was not up to operating temperature. I just bought several more o-rings from Cat and I'm going to start changing it out annually. The Cat service manager told me that the sensor does not need to be torqued and that hand tight will be fine but not to over tighten it. When I installed it last time it bottomed out which kinda goes against my limited experience. The sensor is flat bottomed and needs to be bottomed out to allow the o-ring to be set in the groove. When I replace the o-ring next week I'll check to see if the sensor worked its way out or if the o-ring failed. I wish I could just do away with the sensor and weld the opening shut but I know the engine won't work without it.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

I crawled into the engine compartment and the sensor had worked its way loose. There has to be a way to prevent this. I barely fit through the steel frame and of course I got covered with oil and grease. Local Caterpillar dealer claims the sensor only needs to be hand tight but I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this. I'm going to keep calling different Cat repair shops until I find out how to keep this from happening. I thought about using lock tight but don't know if it will hold up to the heat.

Tags
cat