Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Changing Fuel Filter

I am about to do my first full service on our 05 Bounder with a C7. No problem as I have done big trucks and MH's many times. I am wondering if most owners do the filter mounted to the engine( Secondary?) from the bottom or the top. I prefer doing from the bottom as I don't want to make a mess in the closet. But it is a long reach from the floor of my shop to the top area and I am not getting younger. I do have one of those filter wrenches that will take a ratchet and an extension but the install of a full filter is not that easy. What do most owners do? Top or Bottom?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have my truck mech do mine. He is younger than me and only whines a little bit about diesel in his armpit
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I am about to do my first full service on our 05 Bounder with a C7. No problem as I have done big trucks and MH's many times. I am wondering if most owners do the filter mounted to the engine( Secondary?) from the bottom or the top. I prefer doing from the bottom as I don't want to make a mess in the closet. But it is a long reach from the floor of my shop to the top area and I am not getting younger. I do have one of those filter wrenches that will take a ratchet and an extension but the install of a full filter is not that easy. What do most owners do? Top or Bottom?
Are you saying that you are pre-filling the fuel filter and then want to install the filter? Why?

When I worked at Cat (engineer) we would assemble the tractors dry and if equipped with a fuel priming pump we would than prime the filter and fuel system to start. If not we would use the starter to prime the filter.
See pages 71 and 72 of Cat booklet Form SEBU8083-08 which I have attached.

http://safety.cat.com/cda/files/5305...+Intervals.pdf

Jim W.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My was done from the top, but it was a royal pain.

Here's an older posting of my describing how I had my filter relocated for easier access, along with adding a priming pump: Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

When I do it myself, its from the top (opening under the bed).
When a shop mech does it, its from the bottom; usually standing in a pit.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

JimCummins SW: Motorho0mes with the C7 do not come with a primer pump. If you do not prefill the filters you will be cursing for hours trying to get a prime. If you install a primer hand pump one must remove a hatch in thye closet and pump away. I have a super clean container and I took solvent and rags to the station. Cleaned the nozzle and filled my container. I have a plug that fits the center hole of the filter and poured slowly into the outer holes. I know that is not cat's recommendation but being as I only change the filters once a year ( lesst han 6000 miles) I really don't think I will do any harm. BTW: Do you now work for Cummins SW?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I do both fuel filters on my C-7 from the bottom and DRY. Never had a problem starting. Just do one then start and let run, then do the other.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #8

I completed the job yesterday.. Did it from the bottom and it was no big deal. I did fill the filters with clean diesel while I had the center hole plugged. Thanks for the replies
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
JimCummins SW: Motorho0mes with the C7 do not come with a primer pump. If you do not prefill the filters you will be cursing for hours trying to get a prime. If you install a primer hand pump one must remove a hatch in thye closet and pump away. I have a super clean container and I took solvent and rags to the station. Cleaned the nozzle and filled my container. I have a plug that fits the center hole of the filter and poured slowly into the outer holes. I know that is not cat's recommendation but being as I only change the filters once a year ( lesst han 6000 miles) I really don't think I will do any harm. BTW: Do you now work for Cummins SW?
No; I retired from Caterpillar in 09 after 40 years. I have seen way to many issues on warranty claims for failed hydraulic and fuel system due to pre-filling of filters. We knew mechanics would per-fill but could not prove that they did; even though we could trace the debris to per-filled filters.

Jim W.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

Hey Moisheh. I have a Dutch Star 3865 with a Cat 3406E, Newmar was nice enough to install a remote primary and secondary fuel filter system on the engine compartment wall with the priming pump. This makes changing the filters easier. You might think about a similar application. They never come off easy. I did read the Cat manual for the motor and they don't recommed pre filling the filters to prevent contamination. After cranking for a short period, less than 15 seconds the filter should be filled and the motor should start. Happy wrenching.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel