Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Check Engine light

I have a 2005 Airstream 396 XL DP Cat C7 engine Freightliner chassis. I was driving back home from a short trip and after about 30 miles on the highway 55 MPH the Check Engine light came on. I found a place to pull over and as i slowed down to stop, the Check Engine light went off. From the gauges engine temp was normal as well as the oil pressure. There was no indication of anything wrong. After a few minutes I started off again with no problems until about 4o miles later the same thing happened Check Engine light came on. Pulled over and the light wen out. As before all appeared normal. I waited a few minutes and started off again no problems and the Check Engine light did not come back on for the remainder of 30 miles to my storage. I did not drive over 55 mph the whole trip. This is the 1st trip out after winter and oil level is fine as well as coolant. What does the Check Engine light cover as far as problems. No other lights came on.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member

You are probably having oil pump issues. Cat has a 100% oil pump failure rate. It will be intermittent at first normally. Normally we see this run 1200-1700 for repair. Many extended warranty companies exclude the cat oil pump
okrvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrvrepair View Post
You are probably having oil pump issues. Cat has a 100% oil pump failure rate. It will be intermittent at first normally. Normally we see this run 1200-1700 for repair. Many extended warranty companies exclude the cat oil pump
Thanks, I am going to make an appt with the local Cat Service shop and have them check things out. I have also been told it could be other things such a bad Collant sensor, or partially clogged fuel filter. From what I understand the Cat shop can retreive the codes to maybe pinpoint the cause. I will update once I get more details.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrvrepair View Post

Interesting. I've been reading the Cat posts for about four years and this is the first I've heard of the 100% oil pump failure.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Thanks, I am going to make an appt with the local Cat Service shop and have them check things out. I have also been told it could be other things such a bad Collant sensor, or partially clogged fuel filter. From what I understand the Cat shop can retreive the codes to maybe pinpoint the cause. I will update once I get more details.
In reading through the Freightliner and Cat manuals fault codes are retained when certain problems occur and the warning lights come on. According to my Cat manual I should be able to retrieve fault codes by using the cruse control buttons.

1. Start the engine.
2. Turn the Cruise Control switch to the OFF position.
3. Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position and
hold that position until the "Check Engine" lamp begins to flash. The lamp will then flash to indicate a 2 digit code.
Release the Cruise Control switch at this point. Count the
first sequence of flashes to determine the first digit of the
failure code. After a 2 second pause the second digit of
the failure code will be flashed by the engine lamp.

There is a chart for the failure codes as well.

I tried this today but nothing happened. Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Interesting. I've been reading the Cat posts for about four years and this is the first I've heard of the 100% oil pump failure.
X2, But after 14 years at a Dodge dealership , doing Cummins, I would swear that the VF-44 injector pump failure rate on 98>02 s was 250%
I was sure I'd done every truck in town at least twice. Just saying.
Probably a post from someone who is as sick of changing HEUI pumps , as I was of changing VF-44's , one persons opinion , no basis in fact.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

Don, I've never attempted to pull codes, with that method , the engine running is questionable as far as I'm concerned, usually , at least from what we did in automotive , before we got the scan tools , the flash method, was done , engine off , key on.
You could try the Freightliner help line to make sure the method is correct.
1-800-FTL-HELP
1-800-385-4357 have your serial number handy.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

To get the codes you need to go to a Cat Authorized Service Center. They are the only ones that have the Cat Computer Readers. I have had my C-7 on one while diagnosing a bad injector. The amount of detailed data from the Engine ECM was 5 pages long on the printout they gave me. It will tell you what that warning was.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #9

Good to here. I am going to the Houston Mustang/Cat shop on Monday morning. Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

Ask the Tech that puts the computer on your engine if he would "Please" give you a complete printout of ALL the data on the ECM. It is quite informative.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #11

I just had the same problem on my 2006 C9, after climbing long grades the Check Engine Light would pop up then disappear shortly after; my Silverleaf Computer system showed a Barometric Sensor fault code and I had the sensor replaced at my regular service for about $300
DOGHOUSE26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
I just had the same problem on my 2006 C9, after climbing long grades the Check Engine Light would pop up then disappear shortly after; my Silverleaf Computer system showed a Barometric Sensor fault code and I had the sensor replaced at my regular service for about $300
I am looking at the Silverleaf VMSpc unit and it's good to know that it does show the fault codes when something happens such as the Check Engine light coming on. When you are going down the highway there is not much you can do when the only information you have is a light coming on that could mane any number of potential issues.

Off to the Cat shop tomorrow morning but will be a couple of days before they get to and put it on the computer. I will follow up when I get details.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #13

At the Cat Shop

I dropped the coach off at the Houston Mustang/Cat shop yesterday, Monday morning. I just spoke to the Shop and they have run the diagnostic test with the Cat Computer and found three faults that occurred during the time span that I had the issue with the Check Engine light coming on. In their opinion it is a electrical issue at a connector of some sort on the engine. They have recommended up to 3 hours of labor for testing to try and find the issue since they can't actually put their finger on what is causing this. I certainly don't have the knowledge to question them further so I said OK to that approach and they will get back with me before they move further. So any thoughts. Thanks
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #14

Erratic , fault codes are the nightmare of all mechanics, on the one hand , having all the connectors to sensors and the ECM is in order, and I imagine that's what their doing in the 3 hrs. quoted, on the other hand , I'd be after the print out , to have for your records. You're paying the bill, get all the info and details you can, particularly every sensor and connection tested/cleaned.

Tags
check engine light