Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

Angry Check Engine Light Cat engine on Itasca 39 foot 2002 75,000 miles

check engine light Cat engine on itasca 39 foot 2002 75,000 miles.
As i was starting to accelerate from a light and slowed down for traffic and then stepped on throttle to speed up again it did not accelerate, let up on throttle and it accelerated with a hard down shift. then a check engine light came on momentarily. it did this several times on my trip home. Took it to Cat dealer in Portland.
They have it right now they found metal in the fuel filter indicating it might be the Huei's pump failing, causing the problem will know more tomorrow.
Grrrrr estimate $8000.
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
will be following this.. I have the same rig in the winnebago dressing..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
check engine light Cat engine on itasca 39 foot 2002 75,000 miles.
As i was starting to accelerate from a light and slowed down for traffic and then stepped on throttle to speed up again it did not accelerate, let up on throttle and it accelerated with a hard down shift. then a check engine light came on momentarily. it did this several times on my trip home. Took it to Cat dealer in Portland.
They have it right now they found metal in the fuel filter indicating it might be the Huei's pump failing, causing the problem will know more tomorrow.
Grrrrr estimate $8000.
bruce,

Really sorry to hear of your dilemma. Not good. May I ask, how often you change your oil? It's been bandied about that real, methodical oil changes are a great preventative of the potential HEUI pump failure. Pretty sure there's no merit to that but, it's been talked about quite a bit.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #4

once a year or 7500 miles full service Oil, fuel, filters, Chassis Lube, including Generator.
can't do much more.
Also last year this happened to me caused by Freight Liner doing a crappie service job.
My diesel had loss of power when climbing hills would climb Oregon hills/mountains at 25 mph after freight liner shop in Salem replace my Air filter and change my oil and fuel filters. they failed to hook up the air filter lines to the turbo causing the engine to have loss of power and was burning oil thru the turbo. almost ran out of oil.
check all your air supply lines that they are connected. I'm not sure this didn't cause my problems.
I now use Peterson Cat Portland for all my serving and engine issues.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
they failed to hook up the air filter lines to the turbo causing the engine to have loss of power and was burning oil thru the turbo. almost ran out of oil.
I read this as "the air inlet hose to turbo was not connected". If this is case why would you have a loss of power?

I understand that your turbo is "now drawing in unfiltered air" (which can wear out the turbo if the air is dirty/gritty enough) but that should take a while. I would think that you would still have full power (as the air is not restricted from getting into turbo/engine - until the turbo starts to fail.

I suppose the unfiltered air then wore out the turbo causing oil seal in turbo to fail. How long did it take from the Service to the time you felt low power?

Is this what happened - then you would have had to replace the turbo?
Or am I misunderstanding the events?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
once a year or 7500 miles full service Oil, fuel, filters, Chassis Lube, including Generator.
can't do much more.
Also last year this happened to me caused by Freight Liner doing a crappie service job.
My diesel had loss of power when climbing hills would climb Oregon hills/mountains at 25 mph after freight liner shop in Salem replace my Air filter and change my oil and fuel filters. they failed to hook up the air filter lines to the turbo causing the engine to have loss of power and was burning oil thru the turbo. almost ran out of oil.
check all your air supply lines that they are connected. I'm not sure this didn't cause my problems.
I now use Peterson Cat Portland for all my serving and engine issues.
I use Peterson Cat in Portland also but just for filters and repairs. The last time I was in there I had the ECM updated. I think 7500mi is a little long because of the HEUI pump plus they like a syn oil.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

So far they haven't found the problem fix, still doing the testing starting to think the pump is ok but still in the air?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Subscribing
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #9

the pump is readily available online for about $900 delivered.

From cat is 1420 new.

Changing the pump for a price tag of over 6000 is completely crazy.

Heck bring to Indiana i will change it for 6000
Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #10

Update: Well they have determined 2 bad sensors and not the pump. waiting for update on parts.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #11

Not sure i understand sensor and metal in fuel filter being related.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

The sensor was giving a fault code of metal in the fuel as one of the causes, is what i understand. All i know is what they're telling me. as long as the pump is good i'm happy
Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
Cat

Keep a very close eye on your shop. There is no code for metal in filter - fuel filter or engine. There are sensors that will cause your problem. Actuation pressure sensor is the most common, but if you unplug it the engine will start and run you lose power but it's runnable. Also if your pump is bad and it has damaged your injectors there will be metal in the Heui oil passage in the head. Normal troubleshooting is to remove that plug and check for metal with a magnet. Both of these are Caterpillar procedures. This passage also has to be cleaned out. Also just because your pump has failed does not mean the injectors have to be changed- only if they are miss firing.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #14

Cat
That makes sense when you can only talk to the service manager and not the mechanic. you get different stories. I will ask is they checked with a magnet today.
Thank you

Tags
cat, check engine light, engine, itasca, light