Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdub27 View Post
I had one fuel filter clog a few years ago and had a pretty simple solution. I just purchased another filter head at NAPA, I believe it was 3/4 NPT, but it was so long ago I'm not sure. But it was a pretty simple install, a short piece of pipe to connect the filter heads and I modified the bracket to support the additional filter head. Modifying the bracket may not be necessary, but I always try to do a good job. I have used this setup for 30,000 miles without issues. The filters I have on there are fleetguard FS1022, 10 micron separator and FF5319 2 micron high efficiency. I use the fleetguard filters because they are all over ebay rather cheap and they are good quality. I still don't have a priming pump, but this is a simple solution to the filter problem. The coach is a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery, Freightliner XC Chassis.
That looks good. I wanted to add another 2 micron filtering like you did. That would make 2 _ 2micron and 1 30 micron filter but I was told it wouldn't work

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Ok. Well since it has been done once I guess I can give it a try also. I just need to get a fule line and support bracket and I will go for it. I will then have a 30 micron w/ fuel water separator and a 2 micron secondary with a primer.

Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #17

I just want to clarify. I used the stock lines, I just moved the output from the filters to the second filter head. Also I have recently seen some filter heads with built in priming pumps. I will probably change out my second filter head to one of those. I didn't want to use the oem CAT one because it would still be under the bed and inaccessible due to the radiator. One on the filter head would be perfect for my application.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's a nice looking set up. Very simple and efficient . Have you added the priming pump yet and who sells them ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I just want to clarify. I used the stock lines, I just moved the output from the filters to the second filter head. Also I have recently seen some filter heads with built in priming pumps. I will probably change out my second filter head to one of those. I didn't want to use the oem CAT one because it would still be under the bed and inaccessible due to the radiator. One on the filter head would be perfect for my application.
How many filters do you now have. Did you have one on the engine under the bed?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

My coach did not come with the engine mounted filter under the bed. I only have the two filters you can see in the photo. The filter head i saw with a built in priming pump was on a boat and manufactured by racor. I have not gotten around to installing one yet.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My coach did not come with the engine mounted filter under the bed. I only have the two filters you can see in the photo. The filter head i saw with a built in priming pump was on a boat and manufactured by racor. I have not gotten around to installing one yet.
Thanks, my coach came with a 2 micron under the bed and a 30 micron in the back. I wanted to add another 2 micron filter in the back like yours. I thought the filter under the bed would never clog and never have to be changed.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #22

I wouldn't put a filter under the bed and just forget it. The elements in fuel filters also age out because they start to break down. Pretty similar to how air filters start to break down.

Tags
fuel