Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Coolant Top Off..

I need to top off my coolant. Should I just add distilled water until I get to the Cat dealer. Or is there a compatable brand to add with out causing a problem. The Auto Zone guy said I could only use Cat ESL. I am realy confused Help D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #2

I used rotella ELC that meets cats. Ec-1 it is a 50/50 check their web site and it is not hard to find.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I called a Cat dealer not long ago and he said preferably a CAT product but also said other brands of ELC would do. Went to NAPA and read the labels and found one that said it met Cat requirements.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
I need to top off my coolant. Should I just add distilled water until I get to the Cat dealer. Or is there a compatable brand to add with out causing a problem. The Auto Zone guy said I could only use Cat ESL. I am realy confused Help D
Unless you are desperate never fill a cooling system with plain water. MD and HD Diesel engines that require fully formulated coolants like CAT ELC and similar would experience cavitation pitting increase when you fill low coolant levels with water or even water with antifreeze premixed. Always fill low coolant levels with a premixed coolant containing chemical inhibitors that protect against cavitation pitting of cylinder walls. While CAT would resist the idea, you can refill low CAT ELC coolant with Shell Rotella ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, Shell Ultra, Fleetguard ES Compleat EG Premix, Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT, Old World Fleet Charge, Old World Final Charge. All of these coolants have one specification in common, ASTM D6210. To use any coolant not listing that spec is to use light duty automobile coolant. Something you will regret.
Gary Spires, Field Service Engineer for Cummins/Fleetguard
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

If you have final charge you can get it at a o'rielys auto around 14 bucks.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you have final charge you can get it at a o'rielys auto around 14 bucks.
Final Charge does meet the Cat EC-1 spec. I know the president of Old World. They did do the Caterpillar field test that most other coolant manufacturers do not do but say they meet the CAT spec. It is a much better coolant than the Caterpillar ELC. Cat ELC can be tested with test strips to measure the amount of nitrite and molybdate that this coolant contains. Final Charge cannot be easily tested as that formula does not utilize nitrite and only traces of molybdate.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies...I finaly broke down and read the manual for fluid specs. Bougth one that matched...All is well...dang I hate to read...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote