Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Crankcase Breather Slobber

Since I had the coach up on ramps I thought I should look over the bottom of the engine for any leaks or problems. Probably shouldn't have!

I did find the coolant filter was dripping - it was not twisted on fully - and the replacement hydraulic pump is weeping where it mounts to the PTO.

The main issue I found was there seems to be a lot of wet oil around the end of the breather. I haven't been in under there before so I don't know if this is new or it is just normal. I haven't seen any smoke or drips under the engine, so I don't think it is a crisis.

I also found this little connector above the air pump is weeping - I don't know what it is, any ideas? As usual the Mac and iPhone manage to post all my pictures upside down no matter how I take them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C13 Breather.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	254048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weeping mystery connector.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	254049  

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Went to a large Cat dealer to pick up some filters and got both questions answered.

One of their mechanics came over to answer the questions - that amount of oil is not unusual and does not indicate a problem.

The tube is a high pressure oil line into the air compressor. I ordered a new one plus the fittings to replace it.

BTW I didn't mention it but it is on a C13, it is listed in my signature but I try to remember to put it in the heading.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, did you try tightening the line first -or does it need to be replaced due to rust/corrosion? It does look pretty nasty. CAT parts are not cheap.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Paul, did you try tightening the line first -or does it need to be replaced due to rust/corrosion? It does look pretty nasty. CAT parts are not cheap.
I'm just going to replace it. These lines tend to be pretty thin and there is a lot of corrosion. Just hope it comes off cleanly.

Taking it in to a local shop for an oil change. Went back and forth about doing it myself, but it is a dirty job and pouring 34 quarts of oil into the coach is really tedious. Was looking into a transfer pump but dealing with the dirty oil and the filter are very unpleasant.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Taking it in to a local shop for an oil change. Went back and forth about doing it myself, but it is a dirty job and pouring 34 quarts of oil into the coach is really tedious. Was looking into a transfer pump but dealing with the dirty oil and the filter are very unpleasant.
Mine took 40 quarts.
I bought a Fumoto drain fitting, so at the next oil change I could easily fill small 1-gallon jugs, as the oil is draining to take for disposal (rather than draining 40 qts into a large Tupperware container then having to transfer that into 10 one-gallon jugs with a hand pump) but the Fumoto fitting was the wrong size, so I'll try again next time.

it is unpleasant, but for me the savings in not having to pay someone else to do the job makes up for it. And it's good to get under the coach every so often and look around.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

I guess I will have to crawl under mine now and look at that oil line. Don’t like the looks of that and don’t want a catastrophic failure.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

CountryB - if your engine has a shallow pan (and mine does) it only takes 35 quarts. I had a Cat dealer change the oil a couple of years ago and they overfilled it - had to drain some off because at 40 quarts it would have the crank frothing the oil in the pan. I told him it had a shallow pan and he didn't believe me until he lay under it to look.

Slemnah - you don't have to get under it to check that particular line - it is visible from the rear, around the same height as the oil fill pipe, and just to the left (on the air compressor).

As it turned out mine was weeping here in the driveway, when I got it 2 miles down the road to the shop (very conveniently there is a place very near me) it was starting to stream. Good thing I picked up the part.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
CountryB - if your engine has a shallow pan (and mine does) it only takes 35 quarts. I had a Cat dealer change the oil a couple of years ago and they overfilled it - had to drain some off because at 40 quarts it would have the crank frothing the oil in the pan. I told him it had a shallow pan and he didn't believe me until he lay under it to look.
Mine has the deep pan.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

In case anyone needs one, the Cat part number for the little oil line is 2543364.