Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Crankcase vent hose. Slobber

Hello Everyone.

Our new to us 2007 Revolution LE we purchased 2 weeks ago has the Cat C9 400hp engine.

I noticed on my walk around and crawl under that the engine compartment is very clean an dry, not from anyone cleaning it, except around the discharge hose from the crankcase ventilator. Our RV is a 2006 build and the engine per the serial number is PRE Emissions rollout. Our CV is an Open design where it vents to the outside. I noticed a slight and I mean very slight wetness around the end of the slobber hose and you can see that it is OEM. It discharges in level line with the bottom of the oil pan and is attached to the block so it does not move around.

The coach has not been checked yet to see if overfilled but I will do so when weather permits. I want to either put a catch can or container under the slobber hose or run it to back of coach.

Any suggestions to either method? My radiator is a side discharge so upon checking it is very clean. Just want to get any mist away from bottom of coach, engine compartment and off rear of RV.

Thank you.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Breather tube mist is common on these Engines and often ignored until the compartment or Radiator become very dirty.
The solution on My 8.3 Cummins!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puke Tank.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	266631  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Breather tube mist is common on these Engines and often ignored until the compartment or Radiator become very dirty.
The solution on My 8.3 Cummins!
I like your solution. Wonder if it would work on mine as my discharge hose is just a rubber 1" diameter hose. I have seen the water bottle trick by sticking hose end into a bottle and cutting vent holes but I would like to see something a little more permanent. I know I could just add an elbow and extension to the rear of the coach as well but don't want to get any misting of oil on anything I tow.

Thank you.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Breather tube solution

Great Pic.

Can you share a model number or part name and number? I will track it down.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

Before I installed this I was getting an oily soot on the front of my Race trailer- Now I get nothing.
See this>https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/85...hoCXmUQAvD_BwE
Old 11-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Before I installed this I was getting an oily soot on the front of my Race trailer- Now I get nothing.
I was looking into this very unit NHRA. Thank you. Was the inlet fitting big enough so as to now restrict the flow or cause a back flow problem in the crankcase breather function?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was looking into this very unit NHRA. Thank you. Was the inlet fitting big enough so as to now restrict the flow or cause a back flow problem in the crankcase breather function?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

I have the same motor with some oil around the blow by hose, nothing to worry about. When you change oil keep it between add and full, that may help. Try and change oil around 5 to 6000mi. I like synthetic oil so I use Amsoil 5w40 and use the best Cat oil and fuel filters because of the HEUI pump.
2stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I have the same motor with some oil around the blow by hose, nothing to worry about. When you change oil keep it between add and full, that may help. Try and change oil around 5 to 6000mi. I like synthetic oil so I use Amsoil 5w40 and use the best Cat oil and fuel filters because of the HEUI pump.
2stroker
Agreed and thank you. We had 50 degree weather last week and weekend and its now 18 degrees and we got 11 inches of snow on Monday. Needless to say Im not digging into the engine bay anytime this week.

Thank you
Old 11-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

The line fitting into my puke tank is -12 AN and the hose is -12 AN S/S braided -- The fitting on my Valve cover is 3/4 in, I used a hose clamp to secure the hose to the valve cover fitting.
This has been on there 18 years.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The line fitting into my puke tank is -12 AN and the hose is -12 AN S/S braided -- The fitting on my Valve cover is 3/4 in, I used a hose clamp to secure the hose to the valve cover fitting.
This has been on there 18 years.
Thank you again NHRA. Sounds like what I want. I found it and they have another identical unit with -16AN which might work a little with my unit. Close to. 1” inlet. Thank you very much.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slobber tune.

Thank you for the previous responses everyone. I checked dipstick and it is showing over the full mark and I will drain and change in spring and add the specified 34 quarts and check to see where it hits on the dipstick. To be safe I will add 30 quarts and then one quart at a time till I am between half and full.

QUESTION.

My slobber tube on my open vented crankcase breather has an ID of 1.25”. I want to extend it as currently it terminated above the oil pan and in the middle of a wiring harness. I know this breather hose is not under a lot of pressure but would I create any back pressure issues if I take the hose down to 1” or even 3/4” and tie it into a collection container. Probably overthinking this but value your collective advise and opinions.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #13

Slobber tube

Stonehands,

I have a 2007 Rev (2006 build) also. I extended the breather tube with a 6" section of stainless tubing I had laying around. The only time I have oil on my tow car is when I change oil and put 34 qts in. I now put 32 qts and never have a problem. I would be reluctant to have a restriction in the breather tube. I have thought that a catch can would be nice as I still have the occasional drip from the S tube.
Dave
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you SportTech.

My slobber tube is 1.25” I.d. And if I use a catch or recovery system as show in this post I gild use a -16AN Jose which is 1” I.d. And should not restrict the flow. I also was thinking of using stainless tubing I have in shop to extend further down out of the engine bay. Thank you for the response and thoughts.

Tags
vent