Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question dash gauge vs one place systems center?

I have a 2005 Vectra. I've cleaned the radiator and cac. The gauge reads 205F going down the road (my tow is a Z71 Silverado) and the engine mgt system reads 192F. Stays fairly steady here in Florida moves 2 or 3 degrees--not many hills. 3 years ago the gauge read 193 or so. Which temp is the most correct?:
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you asking which is more accurate 192 or 193? Hey live large and call it 192.5.

Does your gauge have increments finite enough to determine 205?

Go with the engine management system as that is the one that applies the governor if it ever reaches that temp.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandan100 View Post
I have a 2005 Vectra. I've cleaned the radiator and cac. The gauge reads 205F going down the road (my tow is a Z71 Silverado) and the engine mgt system reads 192F. Stays fairly steady here in Florida moves 2 or 3 degrees--not many hills. 3 years ago the gauge read 193 or so. Which temp is the most correct?:
sandan100,
Your coach is equipped with what's called the MMDC. That means, Multi-Module-Data-Computer. That computer is about 6"6"x1" thick. It resides in the front of the coach, usually very close to the driver. It receives data from the Engine ECM, the Transmission TCM, the ABS module and, both primary and secondary air systems (also known as front and rear).

It receives all this data on three wires in their own loom called the J1939 Data link. Once all the data, engine requirements/requests, transmission input needs/export info, ABS input logic and, air pressures from both primary and secondary air systems is received, it's processed and interpreted, then sent to your gauges for you to read, both digital and analog.

What you see in your temp gauge, IS from the engine management system. Now, there's a possibility of the analog gauge being a bit off. But, it's rare to happen. You've got a couple of ways to check the accuracy. One, buy a new gauge or two, purchase a Silver leaf program or, a Scangauge D system. Are you seeing the 192-3 degree info on the Medallion Information Screen on the right side of the dash?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
No, my gauge has 20 degree marks so I'm guessing at the 203-205, but it's just over the 200 degree number so it's above 200 degrees. Last year in the Carolina mountains the mgt sys display started flashing and was reading 215 -- I slowed down and shifted to maintain 2000 rpm. Temp came down to 210. Before this instance the gauge always read around 193. Now it always reads around 203? Haven't had it on any hills since I cleaned the rad and cac.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Tom,
No, my gauge has 20 degree marks so I'm guessing at the 203-205, but it's just over the 200 degree number so it's above 200 degrees. Last year in the Carolina mountains the mgt sys display started flashing and was reading 215 -- I slowed down and shifted to maintain 2000 rpm. Temp came down to 210. Before this instance the gauge always read around 193. Now it always reads around 203? Haven't had it on any hills since I cleaned the rad and cac.
You didn't answer if you have the Medallion Information Center. Do you? If so, what's it telling you that the engine temp is?
Scott
Old 05-31-2016, 05:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fire Up -- Sorry for the long delay! I appreciate your info. Yes the window (information center) on the right of the dash is the one that reads 192-194 and the gauge reads 2005 or there about? They both read the same in the past - 2 years ago. The gauge move up also when the display changes? What is Silver Leaf and how does it work? Which info should I believe?
Thanks,
Danny
Old 06-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Scott,
Just got back and went up to where the coach is stored. Yes, it is a Medallion Information System. It reads 193 at 60 mph with tow. Climbs to 194 going up slight incline and drops to 192 coasting down. The gauge moves also a couple of degrees-but never below 200? We will be going north in July and I guess I will see what they do in the mountains. Just don't know which reading is the most accurate.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Scott,
Just got back and went up to where the coach is stored. Yes, it is a Medallion Information System. It reads 193 at 60 mph with tow. Climbs to 194 going up slight incline and drops to 192 coasting down. The gauge moves also a couple of degrees-but never below 200? We will be going north in July and I guess I will see what they do in the mountains. Just don't know which reading is the most accurate.
Sandan,
If that's all your gauge(s) move, in response to any grades/hills/descending or ascending, you're in great shape. Mine go from 194 to around 207 + or - depending on just what the outside temps are doing at the time. I used to fret over what I see but, based on the normal operational gauge readings which again, fluctuate some, on various coaches, I don't worry too much about what I see now. That is of course unless the temp climbs higher. But, long before that happens, I've geared down, slowed down and let that fan do its thing about pushing as much air through both the CAC and the radiator as it can.

I'll get there when I get there.
Scott
Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Mine is pretty much as Scott says. It runs 188-192 until hills when temp is not hot outside. When temp is in the 90's out side it'll run in the upper 190's and if on a long hill will go above 200 until I shift down. Transmission temp also goes up in hot weather.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dash, ems