Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Diesel motor with hesitation

I have noticed that my motorhome diesel will hesitate from a stop when I push the gas pedal to go. I can push it all the way to the floor and it will hesitate before it finally takes off. Any help on this. I have had it put on a computer and they say they can find nothing wrong with it and I don't know where to go from here.
Jaston47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

How about some specifics? What kind of coach? What size and make of engine? Does it hesitate warm or cold or both. The more specifics you can provide, the better the answer will be.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

You are not driving a corvette there is turbo lag, inertia to overcome and it takes torque to move 30,000 lbs. I taught emergency veh operations for years and the first thing was you gotta think ahead with moving or stopping it dont happen fast. My isl 400 and 37,000 lbs you push on peddle and it will start to move in 3 5 sec and it will take a few sec to pick up speed. Once you get it moving you might want the jake and think ahead to slow down...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #4

Phaeton 40 ft 2005 cat 350 it has about ten sec delay after driving a half a mile
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Turbo lag, rears it's ugly head, when you need it the least.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

10 seconds is way too long, but you already know that. There is an electronic communication problem with the engine in that it is calling for fuel too late. When it does begin to accelerate, watch for black smoke. That will indicate that the turbo is not spooling up in time for the fuel demand.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaston47 View Post
I have noticed that my motorhome diesel will hesitate from a stop when I push the gas pedal to go. I can push it all the way to the floor and it will hesitate before it finally takes off. Any help on this. I have had it put on a computer and they say they can find nothing wrong with it and I don't know where to go from here.

There's your problem, you're giving gas to a diesel. Seriously, if you are in neutral and push on the accelerator, does the engine increase RPM quickly or still a big hesitation? How about slowly depressing pedal, does engine respond in kind? I'm thinking perhaps you have an air powered accelerator that is binding up. You might want to look at the mechanism on the engine as someone depresses pedal to see if it has smooth motion. I say this since computer scan found no issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
10 seconds is way too long, but you already know that. There is an electronic communication problem with the engine in that it is calling for fuel too late. When it does begin to accelerate, watch for black smoke. That will indicate that the turbo is not spooling up in time for the fuel demand.
What do I do now will the computer tell the problem?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

I don't know if this will be any help; but here goes. When I picked up my MH the carpets had been shampooed , 2 months later it started jumping off the line when accelerating. What I found after much searching, was the hinge on the throttle pedal was rusted and binding and the humidity from the carpet drying had compromised the connectors from the Throttle position sensor under the dash.
Lubed the hinge and roller on the TPS, and cleaned the connectors between the TPS ( spray contact cleaner ) and the dash wiring and no repeat of the trouble in 2 years .
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
When you had it at a CAT service shop, did you specified that they ride along with you? The ET system is a great tool, when used correctly. The tech, has to know what parameters to look at. You could call the CAT hot line and ask them for a shop in your area or wherever you are traveling to.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel