RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
DIY C7 Oil Change

I have a new to me 2007 C7 350 with what I believe is the "short" oil pan. I'd like to change my oil and filter. Does anyone have a link to a manual? Is it best to use CAT products or does it matter. Better option? Best place to aquire oil and filters? I'm currently in Hernando County FLorida.

Thanks in advance for your help!

KimoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Note my post herein called CAT v NAPA. Bottom line, use CAT filters. Otherwise, I prefer to do my own oil changes. Short pan on my 06 C& = 19 qts. I also use Rotella T4 conventional, put about 5000 miles per year on the rig, and change the oil every year in the spring. I know I should change in in the fall prior to bedding it down for the winter, but somehow cannot change my old pattern. I have a manual, so I know no link.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
15W-40
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJames View Post
I have a new to me 2007 C7 350 with what I believe is the "short" oil pan. I'd like to change my oil and filter. Does anyone have a link to a manual? Is it best to use CAT products or does it matter. Better option? Best place to aquire oil and filters? I'm currently in Hernando County FLorida.

KimoJames,
Without a doubt, 99.9999% of the C-7 CATs, 300HP, 330HP and the 350HP models had/have the steel, 19 quart pan on them. Changing oil on these is like any other engine, only it's 19 quarts so, just make sure you have a large enough catch basin to be able to handle that much oil. As far as the filters are concerned, well, CAT has theirs and, there's multiple other brands too that will work. I've been using WIX #85791 filter for 7 years and, Delo 400 15W40 oil for the same amount of time. We've put 43,000 miles on our C-7 in that time and, that engine purrs like a kitten (for a CAT that is). CAT, Donaldson, Alliance, Napa, Wix, and more make oil filters for the C-7.

There's a couple of fun parts to the oil change on these beasts. 1, getting that oil out of the catch basin, into a transportable container for recycle. #2, finding a recycle source that still takes used oil. Seems they are dwindling. Our local Autozone still takes used oil, for now. Good luck, have fun.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Using cat filters, and oil.
They say the cat likes clean oil, change every 5k

Can buy at a cat dealer, or any truck dealer that does cat work
I believe Donaldson makes the filters for cat
Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Also if you are going to do your own, buy and install an oil drain valve. There are a number of brands such as Fumoto , Quick Changer etc. Or you can look at oildrain.net, these make it very easy and you can drain into used gallon jugs or what have you and then there is no transfer issues. I have changed my oil on the road in a grocery store parking lot and not a drop on the ground.
I also only use Cat branded filters and their oil, I use 10/30 which is recommended for the temp range I am normally in, 15/40 may be what you need in your area.
Another plus of the drain valve is if you wish to take an oil sample it makes it easier.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
Also if you are going to do your own, buy and install an oil drain valve. There are a number of brands such as Fumoto , Quick Changer etc. O
Yup. Put a Fumoto valve on mine with a nipple so you can run the engine, get it nice and warm, and then run the oil out a hose to the side of the coach into a jug.

Suggest you crawl under first to see what your clearance are - I have a flexible exhaust cross over and had to move it a bit to clear the valve for a hose to work and avoid oil pouring on the exhaust on the way out.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJames View Post

Call CAT with your engine's serial number and for getting the right amount of oil. This could very well vary with an outdated manual, so don't depend on those. Many out there are overfilled and cause leaks or blow-by from the slobber tube.
For Oil, I use conventional Rotella 15 - 40 and the accepted standard seems to be for one year or 20K miles. Don't know about this 1yr business, however and would definitely not be adhering, if not for the HUEI pump that has such a love for clean oil. I mean we're talking 33qts of oil here, with a C9 and just wondering how many miles the truckers go on a change.
Do use the latest CAT filters and you can get them from Amazon. I get all mine from there, but do use Donaldson for the fuel, which I believe to be one of the manufactures for CAT. Just installed a clone for a Webco air system filter the other day and not to be confused with the air cleaner filter, so we'll see how that goes after a couple of years or so. The old one looked great, but don't know how long it was in there.
If the C7 is like the C9, with the oil pressure going out of sight at startup, then that's even more reason for using the latest CAT filter and probably this one, but do check it out, when calling CAT ... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...ustomerReviews
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #9

I've use Cat filters and Delo 15-40. I installed the Fumoto valve after my first oil change, sure helps prevent a mess. My problem is not getting the old oil out but putting the new oil in. The filler spout is several inches back and not steep so I have to use a funnel and can't fill fast or the oil will over flow. Nothing major but Freightliner/Winnebago could have done a bit better on this portion. I've well over a 100K and tend to change oil somewhere between 5000 and 7000 miles.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've use Cat filters and Delo 15-40. I installed the Fumoto valve after my first oil change, sure helps prevent a mess. My problem is not getting the old oil out but putting the new oil in. The filler spout is several inches back and not steep so I have to use a funnel and can't fill fast or the oil will over flow. Nothing major but Freightliner/Winnebago could have done a bit better on this portion. I've well over a 100K and tend to change oil somewhere between 5000 and 7000 miles.
With a rolling low boy cart that holds 15 gallons and no way to miss, draining is a snap. I've found that a small gas can works best for filling and especially when buy the large cans of oil, where the greatest savings and rebates are.
Then use the built in cart pump for filling the used containers back up and for dropping them off at autozone. Putting in the precise amount, allows one to mark the dip stick, since the chassis manufactures can't seem to get the fluid tube installed correctly.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the sister coach to 1ciderdog. I have a large funnel; I inserted the spout into a clear plastic hose. I stick the hose in the filler neck and use that green wire plastic coated wire(comes in a roll) placed in two drilled holes in the lip of the funnel and I tie it up to the raised up access cover. I can pour oil easily whether it be 1 gl or 2.5 gl container. I like to use the 2.5 gallon ones as I can fill them easily with the old oil and O'Reilly takes them, dumps them and returns them to me.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Yup. Put a Fumoto valve on mine with a nipple so you can run the engine, get it nice and warm, and then run the oil out a hose to the side of the coach into a jug.

Suggest you crawl under first to see what your clearance are - I have a flexible exhaust cross over and had to move it a bit to clear the valve for a hose to work and avoid oil pouring on the exhaust on the way out.
Paul, do you know the number on the Fumoto valve? There are several different ones on Amazon. F-103N, F-106N, F107N, F108N. Are they all the same size threads just different lengths of nipple. If you know I would like to order one for my C9. They look like a very good addition for the DIY oil change.

Thanks
Steve
Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Paul, do you know the number on the Fumoto valve? There are several different ones on Amazon. F-103N, F-106N, F107N, F108N. Are they all the same size threads just different lengths of nipple. If you know I would like to order one for my C9. They look like a very good addition for the DIY oil change.

Thanks
Steve
I figured it out. For the C9 with the nipple on it for a hose attachment it is F-104N

Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote