Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Everyone thinks what they do is correct and anyone who does differently is a bonehead. Im a trucker who pulls into a truck stop, bumps the idle up to 900 for about 7 hours. Dec 18th when electronic logs become mandatory that changes to 10 hours of idling. Diesels run very clean and quiet these days.
Sounds good , I never shut mine off till I get where I'm staying and parked ... and no I wont' shut it off to go in and register . I will bump the idle up at stops ..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #44

I had no idea that rvers were so anal. Whats your beef with a little idling? Is it the noise? or the pollution? Deisels run alot cleaner then that second hand cigarette smoke you are blowing in my face and alot quieter then your yappee dog.
I find the ones who complain about trivial things are usually the worst offenders in other areas but of course their sh#$@ dont stink....
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #45

I dont idle the rv more then I need to and that's my business. I dont care what other rvers do because it doesn't effect me. If it did I would camp in the desert.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Idling = fuel burned. While it is not much in the scheme of things it is money spent with no benefit.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #47

American Coach Owners Club
Code:
what---they're afraid the motor won't start again?
After changing out my starter on two different occasions, one in a rest area and the other in a strip mall lot, also being towed from a gas station, we seldom ever shut down, before arriving at our destination point.
These were all in our old gasser, but still.......
As for this coach, it did have an aux. solenoid problem for awhile, but I have a back up circuit devised for that sort of thing, that bypasses to the main solenoid.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
cant get any heat in it until you put some load on the snail.. Airpressure up? Motor... but I do start with very light loads. I like to get it into 3rd or 4th and then give it about 25-30percent throttle.. that will get some heat in the rolling stock..
Old 11-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Idling = fuel burned. While it is not much in the scheme of things it is money spent with no benefit.
Wait until you have to change the starter, then think about how much fuel you would have saved. Not trying to be smart, or critical, but a thousand dollars is a lot of fuel, 2100 mi. worth. That's what it took to get me to AZ.

Just sayin'
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well , UPS , who certainly cares about costs and proper care of equipment, (several tractors had 1.3-1.5 million miles with no rebuild ) has all their tractors set to auto shutdown after 5 minutes idle ...... they had policy to not idle the tractor .. period ! and was admonished for my “idle report “. was to high. ( yes they actually tracked it) They weren’t concerned this would damage the engine. ( it doesn’t ) It was all about cost effective operation. Modern Diesel engines don’t need idling. Start it check pressure and drive away .. by the time you reach the road your ready to go.
You can tell people this all you want it doesn’t matter .. for me what worked for my old company works for me.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
To add on one more thing .. Diesel package car I drove for 5 years in the 90s got about 150 starts and stops a day every time I got out .. Never had a starter problem in all those years ... Just sayin
Old 11-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Then you have the BONE HEADS that keep their 10' high off the ground diesel pickups idling in a gas station while filling it with fuel, filling their boats with gas, family is in shopping for all the junk and, then filling all the coolers with that junk all the while there's signs all over the fuel islands that state SHUT ENGINE OFF WHILE FUELING! Now that's intelligence!

Scott

Shutting the engine off while fueling a gas engine makes perfect sense. One spark with enough gasoline vapor and boom. Not so much with diesel. A stray spark will not cause diesel to explode. As for the rest of your rant, I agree.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Start it check pressure and drive away .. by the time you reach the road your ready to go.
You can tell people this all you want it doesn’t matter .. for me what worked for my old company works for me.
I would agree to a point, if you have a significant drive to get to the road or highway. My 1st diesel daily driver was an 82 F250. Been driving one every since. In the rare case that I don't warm up one of my trucks before I hit the highway, the engine makes a distinctly different sound. I will continue to allow it to warm it up, thank you. Hit remote start, pour a cup, grab my hat, kiss the wife, then climb in and go to work.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As I said .. “you can tell people all you want ...” whatever works for you [emoji106]
Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't care what you do to yours... Never seen a good running UPS truck period ! so maybe they should've idled em a little .
Just put me down as a over idler !
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ok , I’ve marked it down [emoji868]