RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does C13 cooling system need to be air bled after coolant change?

I did the coolant swap (to ELC) a few weeks ago. During the process I noticed my dash water temp gauge was not responding accurately when compared to the engine coolant temp reported by Aladdin system (CAT ECM data). So I decided to replace the dash temp sensor.

I had already filled the cooling system with ELC and ran engine and topped off the surge tank, so I was expecting to lose some coolant when removing/installing the water temp sensor. The plan was to just do a quick swap then clean up any coolant spilled on the engine.

But when I removed the old coolant temp sensor there was no coolant in the engine at that level. The level of the coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing is above the "min level" of the surge tank.

So I'm wondering, is this the norm to Not have coolant at the water temp sensor height-level in the engine - when ENGINE NOT RUNNING. Or could there just be air in the cooling system. I did not do anything to "bleed" the cooling system as I filled it with ELC (I did run the engine to hot).

I'm thinking any air in the system will bleed itself out by running the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT C13 water temp sensor.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	231955  

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

Mike when I did mine I pulled the 1/2 inch drive plug out of the t-stat housing before the regulator and refilled. When I had ELC come out of the plug I reseated it with sealant. and have never had any problems with cooling or coolant levels

Old 01-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Cat

CATs should be self bleeding. Some have check balls in the temperature regulator housings, some have bled hole in thermostats, some have bled hoses that come off the upper part of the engine and run to a surge tank. But if the bled hole is plugged, the bleed hose was removed, etc etc. Its always a good idea to bleed them-- just to be sure. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Mike when I did mine I pulled the 1/2 inch drive plug out of the t-stat housing before the regulator and refilled. When I had ELC come out of the plug I reseated it with sealant. and have never had any problems with cooling or coolant levels
Are you talking about the hex plug shown in the photo just below the arrow?
I read in another thread about that being an air bleed plug. That plug must be o-ring sealed because there are no visible threads showing as would be expected if it was NPT thread.

When I had the thermostat housing off and in the vise, I tries to loosen that plug, and I could not break it loose with a breaker bar (I was moving the work bench). I did not want to chance breaking the housing. Maybe an air-impact gun would have remove it.

So now what. Should I just let the engine "self bleed", or is it recommended to get the bleed plug out. Either way, the coolant level in the surge tank is below the level of the temperature sender (when engine is not running). I would not expect there to be any coolant in the engine above what is shown in the surge tank (and therefore no coolant in that upper rad hose either). Is this thinking correct?

CAT, I saw the bleed hole in the thermostat housing. I made sure it was not clogged. There is no ball or anything in mine, but there is a small hose attached just above the temp sending unit (I forget now, but i think it runs back to the surge tank).
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Cat

You should be good to go. I always pay attention to listed capacity of the system and to how much I've drained out. Then I make sure what I've put in is very close to those amounts. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #6

Mike see the attached pic and the top plug without the paint is the plug on my regulator housing. My sending unit is just above the plug my regulator is to the left, you can see the housing joint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	232317  
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You have a different engine (C12) and it looks like your coolant recovery/surge tank is mounted above the engine, so as long as you have coolant in the tank, the engine coolant level would be above the top radiator hose.

My setup has the coolant tank mounted a little below the top of the engine.

But I guess all the other '05 -06 Patriots with C13 have the same setup, and I have not heard of any cooling problems with them, so I probably should not need to worry about whether or not having the engine's coolant level below top radiator is hose is a problem or not.

Thanks for the posting.

Tags
air, led