Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
3x5

Does Caterpillar still make an RV engine?

I heard that Cat stopped making engines for RVs and other highway vehicles in 2009. Did they ever start up again? Are there problems getting service now? We are looking for a used diesel pusher, 2007 or before. Should we favor a Cummins over a Cat engine because of this?
3x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x5 View Post

I heard that Cat stopped making engines for RVs and other highway vehicles in 2009. Did they ever start up again? Are there problems getting service now? We are looking for a used diesel pusher, 2007 or before. Should we favor a Cummins over a Cat engine because of this?
I have a Cat C7 and have not had any issues getting service...Cat dealerships are all over. Good luck in your search!!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

No , I have a 3126 and there are plenty of parts and probably will be for some time. Plus they are good engines if you take care of them. And you don't have to mess with def fluid or have particulate filters serviced just my thoughts. Good Luck with your search
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

My bus is a 2003, Freightliner rebuilt the engine this past March. I have had no problems getting it service or parts.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
My bus is a 2003, Freightliner rebuilt the engine this past March. I have had no problems getting it service or parts.
We have a 3126 Cat and love it, but how many miles did you have on yours, and what caused the rebuild? Also am nosy enough to ask what it cost?
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are fewer Cat truck service centers now than there were in 2009. Fewer truck engines to service is what they told me when I broke down in Sacramento.
They have to be a 'truck' service center. The plain old Cat places won't work on truck engines.

I would hope that a reputable shop would be able to perform basic service.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

I have all my work done at Peterson Cat a Heavy Equipment dealer and service center. Never a problem getting in and most of the time there are 2 or 3 motorhomes in for service all the time. They have locations in Washington, Oregon and California. There is also Quinn Cat in California, this is where my radiator was replaced.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

The plain old Cat places won't work on truck engines.

Well, that statement is a bit off. I had my valves adjusted at "Cashman CAT" in Sparks NV about a year ago. While there and, watching the tech do the job, I was quite inquisitive about the fact that CAT no longer (and hasn't for a while) producing "OTR" (over the road) engines. This tech was quite a bright young fella. He'd been in mines, working on those monster mine dump trucks, marinas working on CAT equipped boats, service centers that service over the road trucks and, farm style service centers that only handled off road machines and, combination centers (like the one we were at), that handled both.
His explanation was that CAT equipped trucks/RVs will not have any issues acquiring parts and getting service, even in the distant future. There are plenty of service centers around handing CAT equipped coaches and OTR trucks. And that includes places like Freightliner Service Centers that handle all three, CAT, Cummins and, Detroit engine equipped coaches and trucks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:

To the OP,
Don't be afraid of purchasing a CAT equipped coach. Those engines are hardy, well performing engines. And, by the way, if you ask the KNOWLEDGEABLE folks about Cummins, you'll find that Cummins has had its share of "issue" engines in its past too. Certain versions of Cummins have had head issues, wrist pin issues, head gasket issues and more.

Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD is equipped with the C-7, 330HP CAT and the Allison MP3000 trans. We just pulled into our drive way yesterday, after a 6,400 mile trip almost all the way around the U.S. We covered that much mileage in 20 states. We pulled our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4, and that truck was carrying a Rampage lift which, had our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on it. That meant I was dragging around the U.S. 6,700 lbs.
That C-7 CAT performed flawlessly. We had some seriously steep grades and, some sweltering temps. Of course in situations like those, one slows down a bit, keeping the RPMs up for good cooling air on the radiator and, all went well. I know plenty of folks with CAT equipped coaches and all of them are very, very satisfied with them. When it comes to service, they have ZERO problems getting all the normal daily stuff like oil filters, fuel filters, belts and all that. When it comes to non-daily stuff like water temp regulators (thermostats for us old folks), injectors and more, it's still no problem.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The plain old Cat places won't work on truck engines.

Well, that statement is a bit off. I had my valves adjusted at "Cashman CAT" in Sparks NV about a year ago. While there and, watching the tech do the job, I was quite inquisitive about the fact that CAT no longer (and hasn't for a while) producing "OTR" (over the road) engines. This tech was quite a bright young fella. He'd been in mines, working on those monster mine dump trucks, marinas working on CAT equipped boats, service centers that service over the road trucks and, farm style service centers that only handled off road machines and, combination centers (like the one we were at), that handled both.
His explanation was that CAT equipped trucks/RVs will not have any issues acquiring parts and getting service, even in the distant future. There are plenty of service centers around handing CAT equipped coaches and OTR trucks. And that includes places like Freightliner Service Centers that handle all three, CAT, Cummins and, Detroit engine equipped coaches and trucks.
Scott
Well, while at Holt Cat in Sacramento he also said parts will be available as well, but the service centers are becoming more sparse. He even showed me a map from 10 years ago vs now, quite a difference.
No doubt they are strong engines. Friends of our with a non emmisions C9 have had no issues and love it. Our is one year newer with emmisions, not quit as reliable..[emoji15]
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
3x5

Wow, great info everyone. I have no real experience with diesels, but I have been reading. I want to learn all I can, before I choose something.

Obviously, both Cats and Cummins are great engines. Everything else being equal, I would just find the rig I liked, and not worry about which brand of engine it came with. I am sure I would be happy with either one.

But if they aren't making the Cats anymore, I'm thinking their service centers for highway engines might be slowly disappearing. At some point, maybe they won't support some parts. So maybe don't take any chances and get the Cummins. But, I'm having a hard time finding a model I like, and eliminating the Cats is really cutting into my choices.

I'm definitely looking for pre-smog, 2007 and before.
3x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to consider the radiators also. A side mount makes PM and belt replacement so much raiser than a rear mount.

Some discussion here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/side...ps-355179.html
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
yep, dont worry TOO much about powerplant. It can be easily serviced/repaired. Parts and repair resources widely available. I would more start with floor plan layout.. even though I kinda didnt do that - I wanted a side rad and then decided I could live with whatever floor plan that offered). As previous post said, lots of + to side rads. Just did 2 trips in 4 months with over 7K miles. The 8.3 cummins just ate the hills and still pulled 9mpg at an average speed of close to 51.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

When we purchased, I wanted the CAT over the Cummins, for whatever reason. Actually like the older Detroit's, if one would have been in the coach we wanted and which is now Mercedes Benz, as far as I know.
So far, so good with CAT and really impressed with how this Diesel performs.
I will say, after some research, that I wouldn't get a CAT manufactured after 06 and the last of the slobber tubes, with the best I can figure. There were some OTR engines manufactured in 07 and possibly later, but had some add-on's with trying to meet new Government emission standards and am hearing that these band aids, so to speak, have been somewhat troublesome. After that, CAT gave up on over the road and after spending 1/2 billion on the ACERT technology, concentrating on their huge off road machinery. Still in business and like said, no problem for service, with either a CAT dealer or other.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, engine