Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Drastic loss of power or throttle response - HELP

We are on our first day traveling to our volunteer position and have run into a problem. We have a 2006 Fleetwood with a 300 Cat and Alliison trans. A rather severe intermittent problem has popped up. We stopped after about 200 miles mostly highway driving to have a DQ cone. Started the my normally but when stepped on the throttle there was minimal response! Coach would go maybe 2-5 mph and that was it. Engine would not rev up at all in gear and only very slowly in neutral! We managed to limp off road at 5mph. Transmission indicator had right gears listed and it didn't feel like it was just trying to start in too high a gear. All gauges were normal. No smoke from exhaust. Tried shifting different gears no go. Tried turning engine off and cycling key a couple of times and restarting. Same result. I could floor the pedal and it would leisurely climb to 1500, but only in neutral. Sat for a minute, said some choice words and tried the key again-and it worked! Finished driving the day 50 more miles to overnight spot with no recurrence.

This did happen the last time I had the my out under similar circumstances. I took it to Rocky Mountain Cat in Boise and they couldn't find anything wrong after the last time. It was due for servicing so I had them do a standard service which included all filters except air filter. This could be dangerous if it happened at the wrong time! I am currently in Walla walla, Was leaving tomorrow toward Anacordes. I could find no dependable service facility in Walla Walla.

Any body have any brilliant ideas?

Thanks
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

Sounds like throttle pedal position sender.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #3

Along with the TPS I'd check the fuel filter and carry a spare.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the help.
TPS sounds like a candidate. How to check?
Don't think it is fuel filter. Happened both before and after new fuel filters placed.
Please keep ideas coming.
Especially if anyone knows a decent shop in the area.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
no power

Could it be your turbo charger is at fault? Sounds like a problem I had. To protect the engine the turbo won't work. Mine was a short in the sensor that monitored water level in the recovery tank. The computer thought I was very very low on coolant. Good luck.
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeinhaler View Post
Could it be your turbo charger is at fault? Sounds like a problem I had. To protect the engine the turbo won't work. Mine was a short in the sensor that monitored water level in the recovery tank. The computer thought I was very very low on coolant. Good luck.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Because of the intermittent nature of it I was thinking a short of some type.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
It almost sounds like 'limp mode' but you didn't get any warning lights on the dashboard? I'd have expected a 'low coolant' or 'shut down engine' type warning light. Intermittent connection or sensor failures are the most frustrating type of issue especially if no code is set. Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Somewhere , I read a warning about trying to test a Cat, TPS, with a multi-meter. You can fry it if trying to test it yourself.

I'll try and track it down.
About all you can safely do is follow the wiring up from the pedal to the dash harness and make sure the connection is good.
I'll be back.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

OK, I found the warning here, page 13-7. Along with testing procedure . I'll try and track my source for this manual and see if one exists for your C-7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B Heui Engines.pdf (168.7 KB, 198 views)
Old 05-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would do a couple of things. First, I would go to your batteries and make sure all the cables are clean and the grounds are good. Chase the grounds to the frame and tighten. Go to your bay that has the ECM and Allison brain and make sure the connections are good. These are free fixes while you're in camp.

The TPS sounds like it could be the culprit, but it would be nice to know if this is a common or semi common issue on your set up. In a situation like this where I think I've narrowed down the problem to the TPS, I would rather buy it myself and install it, rather than pay a huge labor bill. Now I would only do this if the TPS was reasonably priced, like under $100.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Had almost the exact symptoms with my 2004 cat on a Freightliner xc chassis. It was the throttle position sensor. The sensor or sending unit is located under the accelerator pedal and easy change out but I had to wait and pay a guy to drive from LA to Hemet Ca to verify it with a computer. Mine would work then not work left me stranded twice then would fire up and work right. The second time it happened even though it started working I was so afraid to drive it I had it towed .
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Concur with opinions that TPS or TPS connection is likely culprit. Walla Walla is about an hour from Kennewick WA where you should have more luck finding a diesel repair shop.

Anacortes WA is one of our favorite places in USA. We live about 100 mi south of Anacortes and spend several weeks each summer in the San Juan Islands and Canadian Gulf Islands on our 1952 Chris Craft 47' wooden boat. Anacortes is usually home port during the summer for our trips to other locations.

Enjoy!!

Erich
Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #13

Anyone know which TPS is under my pedal or where I can find that out.

Update. Traveled from Walla Walla to Troutdale today with no problems. Staying at Sandy Riverfront Park tonight. Kind of trying to time things to be able to go by Brazels on Monday. Of course now that I have my Silverleaf hooked up to give me more info it won't do it. We're keeping our fingers crossed tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck!

Tags
power