RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Electrical Issue - Engine won't turn over

1999 Safari Zanzibar, Caterpillar 3126b, Allison Transmission.

When 12 volts is jumped to starter solenoid magnetic switch - engine does turn over! 12 volts is not getting from ignition switch to the starter solenoid magnetic switch.
Items we have checked and results are; Dash lights are working, Ignition Switch working properly, Drivers Side Fuses - None blown, Battery Bay Fuses - None blown. Are there Inline Fuses that need to be checked and where would they would be found? Could this be a transmission power problem?
Any suggestions for what may be causing this issue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keith.....There is a thing called a "Neutral Safety Switch", every vehicle has one, that insures the transmission is in "Neutral" before it will complete the 12 volt connection to the starter solenoid. I have no idea where this switch is located on your coach. It is mechanically associated with your gear shift mechanism. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBaillif View Post
1999 Safari Zanzibar, Caterpillar 3126b, Allison Transmission.

When 12 volts is jumped to starter solenoid magnetic switch - engine does turn over! 12 volts is not getting from ignition switch to the starter solenoid magnetic switch.
Items we have checked and results are; Dash lights are working, Ignition Switch working properly, Drivers Side Fuses - None blown, Battery Bay Fuses - None blown. Are there Inline Fuses that need to be checked and where would they would be found? Could this be a transmission power problem?
Any suggestions for what may be causing this issue?
Well Sir,
Obviously you've found a break down in juice from the key to the starter. Now, just where that's happening, sometimes can be a serious pain to find and sometimes, it's pretty simple. You've done EXACTLY what I would have done and that's determine if the engine does turn over by bypassing the entire, wiring system, all the way to the starter. And, it works.

So, I'm going to send you a picture of my starter relay system on our coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and Allison MH3000 Trans. Now, it's also sitting on a Freightliner XC "Evolution" Chassis. You don't say what chassis you're on and, even if yours is on a Freightliner, I'm not sure if you'd have the same type and style of starting system. But, it may be worth a look, just to rule it out.

On mine, that sub-system is sitting along side the frame, between my basement A/C unit and, the engine, on the outboard side of the frame. But, that same system is also noted to be at other locations on different years and models of Freightliner chassis's. I don't know if any of this will help but, you never know.
Scott

P.S. IN the pics below, you'll see the system as I found it on the coach. It was ugly and ALL the connections and terminals were seriously corroded and rusted. It was only a matter time before something on it failed. I disassembled all the components, terminals etc. and replaced the solenoid, relay and 100 amp fuse holder. I also re-terminaled many of the wire ends. Then it was all put back together with some shiny new RED paint on the backing board. But, the main point here is, that's the starting system for the C-7 in our coach. Now, does yours have the same sort of system? You'll have to determine that or, maybe someone who's more familiar with your type/model/make/year of coach will chime in., Good luck.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

We found the problem. It was a blown 10A fuse in the VIM module located next to the ECU under the dash.

Thank you all for your help.

Tags
electrical