Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Excessive white smoke from Slobber Tube

Help!
(Iíve posted this on the Tiffin RV Net. Have received a few suggestions. I thought another opinion might be helpful.)

I have a '03 Phaeton 40' TGH with the 3126 Cat. Bought it used in 2006 with about 21,000. Now has less than 60,000 and blows a lot of white smoke from the slobber tube. (I've made sure to keep the oil level at 19 qts.) It was a gradual thing and lately has gotten worse. Sac Truck tells me oil is getting by the rings and out through the manifold to the turbo. I asked about a ring/valve job....he told me this particular 3126 330 is considered a throw-away. WOW! The engine runs good with no loss of power, just uses a few quarts every 1,000 miles or so. Dlr put on the dynometer and ran it, under power, for 3 hours and says it runs fine. Dlr's suggestions: 1. Buy reman. engine for about $10,000 and pay him $6,500 to install ($136.00 per hr). 2. Drive the coach until I have a power problem then decide. I'm in a quandary. I really don't want to spend the $16 to $17,000. Yet, with the heavy smoke here in CA I'm bound to be stopped by CHP for excessive smoke. I've heard of a product called Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer which is advertised to reduce blow by smoke. Have you heard of any experience with the Lucas product?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated?

Thanks for any assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #2

I used "Restore" in a 70 Toyota engine that was so wore out the pistons were trying to swap holes. LOL. Good stuff... Used it at every oil change or whenever the engine started smoking more. It fills the small scratches in the cylinder walls. Restore worked for me.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Hi, if the motor is using oil with no coolant loss I would suspect a broken piston ring. A broken ring usually results in a damaged cylinder wall. The cylinder liner is not replaceable like most of the larger engines, but it's not a throwaway engine ether. It needs to be serviced in a different manner that would include boring and a sleeve if it is damaged. The engine may or may not need to be removed from the RV depending on access, and does not need to be completely disassembled. You may want to talk to other truck shops that are familiar with the process.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #4

white smoke usually is water vapor. If a gas engine a very rich mixture can cause white smoke. Is the smoke more grey colored? This could be blowby past the piston rings. If white like puffy clouds then, with a diesel engine with good turbo and air filter then it can be caused by water. Check the oil and if it looks like a chocholate milk shake then water or coolant has mixed with oil. This could be caused by a defective oil cooler (lower tank of radiator) or internal engine leak (head gaskit, crack or even a bad water pump that has worn a hole in the housing) The water can also be caused by not warming engine fully every time its started. 70% of exhaust is water vapor and the blowby will condence in cold engine oil.
Take a good look at the coolant in the overflow tank and if you see anything that looks like chocolate milk or a film of oil on the top of the coolant you can have a shop do a hydrocarbon test of the gases in the cooling system to see if there is a breech between the oiling system and cooling system.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpat View Post
Help!
(I’ve posted this on the Tiffin RV Net. Have received a few suggestions. I thought another opinion might be helpful.)

I have a '03 Phaeton 40' TGH with the 3126 Cat. Bought it used in 2006 with about 21,000. Now has less than 60,000 and blows a lot of white smoke from the slobber tube. (I've made sure to keep the oil level at 19 qts.) It was a gradual thing and lately has gotten worse. Sac Truck tells me oil is getting by the rings and out through the manifold to the turbo. I asked about a ring/valve job....he told me this particular 3126 330 is considered a throw-away. WOW! The engine runs good with no loss of power, just uses a few quarts every 1,000 miles or so. Dlr put on the dynometer and ran it, under power, for 3 hours and says it runs fine. Dlr's suggestions: 1. Buy reman. engine for about $10,000 and pay him $6,500 to install ($136.00 per hr). 2. Drive the coach until I have a power problem then decide. I'm in a quandary. I really don't want to spend the $16 to $17,000. Yet, with the heavy smoke here in CA I'm bound to be stopped by CHP for excessive smoke. I've heard of a product called Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer which is advertised to reduce blow by smoke. Have you heard of any experience with the Lucas product?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated?

Thanks for any assistance.
Pull an oil sample and get it tested to see what's going on in that engine. With the combo of several qts of oil per thousand miles and a fair volume of smoke says some amount of ring/cylinder wall damage. You may have an issue with your air filter or intake plumbing which has allowed dust into the engine. Google " dusted Diesel engine" and you will see a number in hits. If this is the case, you need to stop any further damage and you may be able to operate for a while since performance is ok.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
white smoke

white smoke is lack of compression or timing, Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is lack of air or over fueling. If you have blue smoke when taking off it is rings if it is when you let off the throttle it is valve stem leaking. hope this helps you find your problem. if the smoke is only out the slobber tube it is in the early stages failure check the color and feel if it is oily (oil) if not it could be water vapor . head gasket etc