RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust leak and performance

Can a hole in the exhaust before the muffler affect engine performance?

Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Yes.

TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike and Pat. Get a empty can, remove both ends, an cut longways. Place around hole, and secure with two hose clamps. Voila. No exhaust leak. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Pat View Post
Can a hole in the exhaust before the muffler affect engine performance?
In a diesel with a turbo, probably not much, but the exhaust gas gets pretty hot and you need to make sure it will not affect anything close to the hole.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Not as long as its after the turbocharger, and most exhaust pipes are.
An exhaust manifold leak can effect performance. The leak can cause a loss of pressure to the turbo, resulting in a loss of boost pressure.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all. I replaced the exhaust before and after the muffler. I was headed to Texas and started losing power and would not shift into 6th gear. I replaced the fuel filter (I only have one). It ran better but not perfect still not a lot of power climbing small hills. While check underneath after arriving in Texas found holes in exhaust just before and just after muffler.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Pat View Post
Thanks all. I replaced the exhaust before and after the muffler. I was headed to Texas and started losing power and would not shift into 6th gear. I replaced the fuel filter (I only have one). It ran better but not perfect still not a lot of power climbing small hills. While check underneath after arriving in Texas found holes in exhaust just before and just after muffler.
Iím very glad that worked for you, but I canít figure out why. Holes in the piping PRE-turbo, or in the post-turbo piping carrying boost to the engine intake, can affect engine power BIGtime. AMHIK! But, I just had a really rotted pre-muffler exhaust pipe section on my C-7 replaced; it made zero difference in performance, before or after replacement.
YMMV!
GWA1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWA1225 View Post
Iím very glad that worked for you, but I canít figure out why. Holes in the piping PRE-turbo, or in the post-turbo piping carrying boost to the engine intake, can affect engine power BIGtime. AMHIK! But, I just had a really rotted pre-muffler exhaust pipe section on my C-7 replaced; it made zero difference in performance, before or after replacement.
YMMV!
I can't either, plenty of people run a strait pipe out of turbo, which is like a really big hole in the exhaust!, and actually may see a slight increase in power with the reduced back pressure.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's like Twinboat said, a hole (or no exhaust) after the Turbo will not affect performance (although if you had a seriously restricted muffler/exhaust that would reduce performance. But that 's the opposite of what was asked).

On a naturally aspirated engine, some exhaust back pressure is needed to aid in cylinder scavenging, but on a turbocharged engine the positive pressure from the turbo does the scavenging (evacuates the exhaust gases from the cylinders, and fills the cylinders with fresh air). The exhaust pipe and muffler is only there to reduce the sound.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Never said that the performance issue was corrected. Just stated what I had done to the exhaust and then went into a little of what lead me to find the exhaust holes. I haven't taken it out since the last fuel filter change and exhaust repair. Hope to do it next week. Hoping it was just bad fuel and not another fuel pump or injector problem.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
well took it for a drive on Monday and it was still missing. Got in to Holt Cat in Edenburg, TX and they found a bad injector. #6. Had it replaced and also got the valves adjusted, Runs great now.

Tags
exhaust, leak