Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I changed one closest to the engine first.
Your method works on a two filter system, but some (cats) have only one filter and prefilling is a necessity. I know there are people who use ATF to prefill with, however I am leary of that.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #16

Georgie Boy Owners Club
prefilling filters

Interesting thread. Have read about this before. Decided that if I prefilled my filter long enough it would cost me a HEUI pump. I have a 3126e came with one cat 2 micron filter. Did some filter research and found a filter that would work with the water separator cup that came on the rig originally. It has a difference though it will trap particles of 10 microns and larger plus work with the water cup. Went to the local over the highway wrecking yard and found a filter head off a cat engine with a priming pump on it. It is a little hand pump mounted on the top of the housing. Stopped by cat and bought a 2 micron filter that cat specs for a HEUI equipped engine. the prime pump is on the first filter (10 micron w/water cup) the second filter head has the 2 micron filter on it. I drop both filters in a bucket under the rear bumper, dip my finger in some of the clear diesel and wipe it onto the gasket surface of the new filters and screw them onto the filter heads, unlock the prime pump and pump until i feel the back pressure. All done and no chance of getting dirt into my HEUI pump. Not only that I have never plugged a filter in two years of operation on a two year replacement schedule. Takes all of 5 minutes.

glenn allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #17

There is no problem with filling a fuel filter as long as you fill from the "outside" holes, then the fuel goes through the filter before getting to the injection pump and injectors.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #18

Discussions like this remind me why I don't buy used equipment very often. And why I do my own service. Manufacturers write instructions and then they're widely ignored.

Of course at the end of the day in most cases the systems are tolerant enough it really doesn't matter. Fill your fuel filter with oil; and your oil filter with fuel. The engine will (probably) be just fine.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
If you ever miss getting it to start on a dry filter you will wish you had torn that page out of the manual.
I can guarantee that statement ONE THOUSAND PERCENT TRUE! Ever since my debacle with that scenario, I fill my one and only filter through the tiny holes, each and every time. By the way, I've been using WIX filters for quite a few years now and there's never, ever been a rubber plug in any of the holes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #20
Cat

Just want to say in the. 1960-1970 fuel injection pressures were 600 PSI 1970-1980 fuel injection pressures were 1600-1800 PSI 1980-1995 fuel injection pressures were in the 3000 PSI range Heui injection pressure range in the 3000 PSI-6000 PSI. The new direct fuel injection pressures are 20000 PSI-30000 PSI. I have changed late model injectors that have failed because the fuel was contaminated with oil. So the internal clearances have got tighter and tighter on the fuel system. At the same time the loads on oils have gotten higher and higher. Which means more and more additives are added to oils to make them stand up todays loads. These additives were not added to oil to improve injection. Putting anything in a fuel filter except fuel can be very expensive. Any contamination will damage the injection system. Bulk diesel fuel from the pump is filtered through a 20-30 micron filter. The new systems need 2 micron filtered fuel.
The fuel injectors that were changed due to fuel being contaminated with oil was a newer model CAT- didn't bother the 10 year older Cummins which got the same fuel.

Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel