Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Funny noise at 1350-1500 RPM

Hi all.
I am getting a funny noise from the engine area while under load at 1350 to 1500 RPM.
It sounds like a whirring noise or like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise. Kinda like an old GM power steering pump going out. (No offense)
It only happens under load. In any gear. only at the 1350 to 1500 RPM range. Will not do it while in draw mode, only under load and full throttle.
We are leaving soon on a tour of what will be 2500 miles and I want to get this diagnosed before we hit the road.
Anyone have any ideas please chime in.

It is a '97 3126 with allison 3060.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to crawl under your rig and check your drivetrain and see if anything is loose. When was the last time you had your u joints lubed? Since it is only at a certain rpm I would think something may either be unbalanced or loose. Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
U-joints were lubed at my regular oil change about 5K miles ago.
Doesn't have the vibration that an out of balance thing would cause.

I was thinking turbo but why only at that one RPM range and only under WOT.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

If you find out let me know. I have a horn type sound when I hit 55 mph. It will stay there as long as I do 55. 54 - 56 it isn't there.... At first I thought someone was blowing their horn at me.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If you find out let me know. I have a horn type sound when I hit 55 mph. It will stay there as long as I do 55. 54 - 56 it isn't there.... At first I thought someone was blowing their horn at me.
I had a similar problem with my 1990 Pace Arrow. Turns out the guy that bought it from me found out that it was the front grill vibrating at a certain speed. He put some duct tape down across all the grill pieces and then would drive for a while and then pull off a piece of tape until he found out which grill was vibrating. I can't remember how he finally fixed it. I think maybe he just braced that particular grill to get it to stop vibrating.

Good Luck, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
U-joints were lubed at my regular oil change about 5K miles ago.
Doesn't have the vibration that an out of balance thing would cause.

I was thinking turbo but why only at that one RPM range and only under WOT.
The slip joint needs to be lubed every 5,000 miles. This is a relatively new thing that Spartan has added. Guess they found out once a year or 15,000 miles wasn't often enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I had a similar problem with my 1990 Pace Arrow. Turns out the guy that bought it from me found out that it was the front grill vibrating at a certain speed. He put some duct tape down across all the grill pieces and then would drive for a while and then pull off a piece of tape until he found out which grill was vibrating. I can't remember how he finally fixed it. I think maybe he just braced that particular grill to get it to stop vibrating.

Good Luck, Sammie
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you determine if it is "engine" or chassis noise? Does your fan pulley have a zerk fitting? Know several C-7's that don't (sealed and supposedly perm. lubed) that have seized.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

Vintage, I didn't see a post re a fix for your noise, so I thought I'd share this .I just got through, tracking a raspy whistle, noise on a 5.9 Cummins,for a friend. Noise was load & RPM sensitive also. What we found was the multi layer,metal exhaust flange gasket at the cylinder head, had blown out one of the layers, and the other layers were buzzing as the back pressure from the turbo built up and was reduced as the waste gate opened and reduced the back pressure. Tell-tale trace of carbon from the #6 cyl. flange was the only indicator.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
OK sorry I did not reply before. The sound I was hearing turned out to be the metal cover on the breaker box under the bed side pedistal/drawer. Wierd that it ony happened at one rpm range and under load.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #11

Not at all weird, harmonics from the engine, torqued up against the mounts, setting something else off; happens all the time and drives mechanics crazy. Good that you tracked it down.
Safe travels.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #12

My demon is the bathroon sink drain stopper. Drives me nuts

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote