Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone redesigned their C7 air intake?

I purchased a 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H with a 350hp C7 and rear radiator which makes getting to and replacing the Air Intake Filter difficult. My FL tech took the exhaust off to do the job and I'm not sure he got it installed correctly as the filter is now reading 3/4 in the yellow and its only been 2 months and 1,500 miles Interstate driving.

Was wondering if anyone has redesigned their air filter intake to an easier location for servicing, maybe even changing to a different filter that is replaceable without replacing canister.

Will be checking mine as soon as the weather improves to see if it can be done - should be able to do it if space allows.

Suggestions, advice and info greatly appreciated. Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

My filter gage was reading about 11 changed filter .reading went right back to 11,really not hard to change filter .no need to remove exhaust.
cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

Richard,
One thing to keep in mind here is, Freightliner and CAT (or Cummins, depending) worked somewhat together to come up with a appropriate sized, and efficient flowing air cleaner system. One other thing, even with the same make, as in Itasca or Winnebago, different diesel models utilize different designs and applications.
For instance, as you've found out, servicing your air cleaner may or may not require other component removal and, your exhaust exits on the left rear side, correct? Whereas in ours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330HP CAT, the exhaust is routed under the transmission, and over to the passengers side where it takes another 90 degree turn and, exits out the right rear.

What this all means is, my air cleaner is most likely not nearly as hard to remove as yours is due to a different design in the rear of the coach. Now, this maybe doesn't help you any but, it may give you ideas of maybe altering your exhaust to the other side, like ours is, if, that's doable and, would remedy your problem with access to your air cleaner.

I don't know what the cost would be for an altered exhaust vs trying to change the game plan on the air cleaner system. Just some ideas for you to think about.
Scott`
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Scott,
We just got 8" of snow so not working under DP right now. Will consider exhaust but don't think it will work on mine. Tranny set low and there is an exhaust cutaway on the driver's side. Was wondering why one couldn't reroute the air intake filter to set at the top of the rear compartment. Seems like it would require hose from air intake to filter and then from filter to turbo intake. Would make air travel farther but if it fits the location it would mean easier change out and inspection. Plan to change out muffler in year or 2 to the Aero - not sure which one yet. Might just do that which would provide more rfoom to work but not ease of inspection for air filter.

Appreciate you sharing your experience and info - Richard
Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Thanks Scott,
We just got 8" of snow so not working under DP right now. Will consider exhaust but don't think it will work on mine. Tranny set low and there is an exhaust cutaway on the driver's side. Was wondering why one couldn't reroute the air intake filter to set at the top of the rear compartment. Seems like it would require hose from air intake to filter and then from filter to turbo intake. Would make air travel farther but if it fits the location it would mean easier change out and inspection. Plan to change out muffler in year or 2 to the Aero - not sure which one yet. Might just do that which would provide more rfoom to work but not ease of inspection for air filter.

Appreciate you sharing your experience and info - Richard
Richard,
You’re more than welcome. Now, on the subject of changing to an Aero, I’m assuming you mean the Aero 5050XL Stainless, straight through muffler, correct? Well Sir, in my experienced opinion, BIG MISTAKE!!!! Long story short. I was talked into one of those by Brazels RV. It was SUPPOSED to give me more horsepower. NEVER HAPPENED!
It was SUPPOSED to give more MPG. NEVER HAPPENED! It was supposed to give more bottom end torque. NEVER HAPPENED! All it did was successfully create a whole lot MORE NOISE! People could hear us coming and going from the next zip code. I kept it on there for about two years and couldn’t take it anymore. I ended up selling it and got a new muffler. SERIOUSLY quieter and the same HP, Torque, and mileage as I’ve always got. Your choice.
Scott
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,
Selected Aero based on one of your older posts. Thanks for the update.

Mine has the 100 lb 4x2x1.5 muffler so was wanting to go smaller. What did you end up with?

Richard
Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

Richard,
As stated l, I was lead to believe that we’d end up with a whole ton of bennies with the change to that muffler but it was a total let down. So I contacted Donaldson muffler, a very, very large commercial truck muffler supplier and talked with them about what to replace our JUNK Aero with. He didn’t have the flow and performance characteristics of a C-7 but did have them on a 3126 which is for the most part, the same engine.
He gave me a half dozen that could work. I ended up with one of them, forgot which exact one. But, your application will be different anyways because your system is different than mine. Look them up, contact a rep and have a conversation with him. He’ll lead you right to what you need.
Scott
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I have the aero 50/50 Stainless muffler and as Scott says it is louder but not so loud it bothers my wife or me. I don't know about differences in horse power but do firmly believe it reduces exhaust temp with reduced backpressure. The smaller size makes it a tad easier to replace that big air filter.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

Have had the aero 5050 xl on my last 4 coaches. A little bit deeper sound, never did a 0-60 comparison, but turbo seems to spool up faster, and as said, lot cooler in the bedroom without the old 60 lb heat sink muffler. Installed a box to hold my sewer hoses in the space freed up by removing the big old muffler.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust cooler and I could notice the low end torque improvement. Yes it's loud, so I installed a 5" resonator in front of the Areo. Made a BIG difference in sound quality.

good luck
Old 11-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I doubt if I will change UNTIL the current one goes out. The benefits I'm interested in right now is cost and ease of installing. I like the resonator idea and creating a storage area for my accelerator and related hoses. Having said that, the one real benefit would be making my Air Filter easier to replace. My muffler and exhaust are right under my Air Filter on the driver's side making it almost impossible to replace without removing the exhaust.

I want to thank everyone again for the info. I am learning so much about how to care for my new to me DP.

Tags
air